Who is still playing Destiny 2? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 19:28 (2365 days ago)

I'm just curious.

For the first three weeks, I routinely had at least 15 friends online (and often nearly double that), all playing Destiny 2. Most of my meager PSN friends list is folks from here.

At this moment, I have five friends online, and not a single one is playing Destiny 2.

I don't think that's a problem in any way. As has been discussed before, I'm glad to have played it hard for a month or so and I'm glad to feel able to go play other things without feeling like I'm missing out. I'm eagerly anticipated The Curse of Osiris, and if it wasn't for the fact that H:ZD The Frozen Wilds was coming out the same week, I'd probably jump back in for the next faction rally.

I'm just curious how many have moved on and how many are still playing regularly.

Who is still playing Destiny 2?

by Avateur @, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 19:31 (2365 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Not me. And not in a bad way. I feel accomplished at this point. I still have maybe two things left to do, but for now I'm feeling good to go. I guess I'll wait and see if the expansion is worth the price or time later.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 19:41 (2365 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm on Xbox, but I may as well answer.

I'm still playing, on days off. For a while, I fell off of it, and then there was a stretch where I only played the blind raid run. That got me into the game again, though, and I'm squaring stuff off, on my Warlock.

Messing around with the other two characters a little, too, but they're both still under twenty.

Way less than D1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 19:42 (2365 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm basically only playing with my weekly raid group right now. This means I jump on for 2-4 hours on Wednesday night and then maybe one more time during the weekend. I'm just not enjoying the end game PvE or really any PvP. I think D2 is pretty solid, it's just anti-fun in a lot of ways. I used to play 5+ days a week for pretty much all of D1.

Kinda sorta!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 20:19 (2365 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Grizzlei, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 20:28

Admittedly I kinda got frustrated with the 265 Light Level slump I've been at the past 2 or 3 weeks. Last night I breached 270 after a number of power engram drops and I'm well on my way up! Grinded public events in the European Dead Zone for this week's Flashpoint and Clan XP milestones. Felt lovely seeing so many players so late at night every few minutes in the EDZ at the next public event. Plenty of fun and camaraderie to be had! I'm excited to start doing regularly weekly Nightfall Strikes and eventually attempt my first Raid.

In general, I've cooled down on Destiny 2 purely out of not wanting to spoil it for myself. I fully intend to stay tuned into Curse of Osiris, the first DLC for the entire series I'm not so already disillusioned to bother playing. Right now I'm watching a lot more TV, mostly WWII and Cold War documentaries, and also Korean dramas. I stick to this because I know I can't just do one thing. I have to play hours. When I also got plenty of schoolwork to attend to, being a badass bitch in the virtual realm too just doesn't have the same appeal.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, November 04, 2017, 21:38 (2365 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I still hop on whenever I get a chance. I don't play as much as I did Destiny 1, but it's mainly because I have been busy with other things. Some of those things are winding down, so I will probably play a little more 8n the next couple of months.

My only gripes are solo matching against full clan teams in PVP and often running the same strike back to back in PVE. Overall I'm still having fun though. I'm not really chasing anything, so I'm just playing whatever sounds fun and stockpiling tokens for whenever the vendor inventory changes.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 00:08 (2365 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm still on almost every night.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 06:54 (2364 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You seem to get a lot more out of Destiny than most folks. Do you play with friends most of the time? Do you just enjoy the gameplay that much?

I've reached a point where playing with friends is about the only reason for me to jump back in. Again, not disparaging Destiny 2 in any way--I just feel like I've gotten what I wanted out of it at this point, in terms of just playing and earning things. It remains an excellent game, and one I still love playing with other people, but unless I have those people online doing things, I don't find much of a reason to play it.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 10:11 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You seem to get a lot more out of Destiny than most folks. Do you play with friends most of the time? Do you just enjoy the gameplay that much?

Often playing with friends, yes... but occasionally I get home late in the evening, and jump on for a game or two of Crucible before calling it a night. If there's nobody on, I play anyway. Yeah, I enjoy it. ;)

I've reached a point where playing with friends is about the only reason for me to jump back in. Again, not disparaging Destiny 2 in any way--I just feel like I've gotten what I wanted out of it at this point, in terms of just playing and earning things. It remains an excellent game, and one I still love playing with other people, but unless I have those people online doing things, I don't find much of a reason to play it.

That's totally reasonable. I've got no problem with people who move on to other things when they feel like they've gotten all of their 'fun' out of a game. I guess I just like sticking with things I know. :) (I did this with Halo, too.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 10:51 (2364 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Often playing with friends, yes... but occasionally I get home late in the evening, and jump on for a game or two of Crucible before calling it a night. If there's nobody on, I play anyway. Yeah, I enjoy it. ;)

That's totally reasonable. I've got no problem with people who move on to other things when they feel like they've gotten all of their 'fun' out of a game. I guess I just like sticking with things I know. :) (I did this with Halo, too.)

Legend has it rockslider is STILL playing Halo 1…

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Monday, November 06, 2017, 07:33 (2363 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Haven't heard from him in a while over at HBO. Wonder what he's up to?

- MacGyver10

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 11:20 (2364 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That makes sense. I'm excited for the future of Destiny, but for now, I'm glad that it doesn't ask me to play continuously. It really seems to strike a very good balance, for me anyway.

Nah.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 00:50 (2365 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I may pop on for Xur if he’s selling something I don’t already have(seriously, repeats after what, four weeks?), but that’s pretty much it.

RNG storytelling, no selectable strikes, Crucible is of course even worse, Call to Arms is broken, and I can’t do the only raid because I don’t have a mic anymore.

When I did four public events in a row on one flashpoint and no one even appeared much less helped, that’s when I realized it was time to hang it up.

So But Whole, then maybe Alan Wake. Or maybe I’ll spend some free time trying to finally figure out what the hell a Nights Into Dreams is.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 04:09 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Me! On Tuesday. You should join!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 06:56 (2364 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Me! On Tuesday. You should join!

I would like to try a Prestige Raid sometime, but Tuesday is the day the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC comes out, and I can't commit to a full week of raiding this week in any case. ):

At minimum I raid every week on XB1

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 07:07 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And finish milestones on PC

At minimum I raid every week on XB1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 07:47 (2364 days ago) @ Xenos

Would like to get to this frequency on XB1 and PSN.

Halp!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, November 05, 2017, 07:39 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm on PC, but my average hours-per-week this past 3 days have been a lot lower than before. Hit 295 on both my Titan and Warlock, so I'm just waiting everyone else on my local group to hit 270 or so to do a blind Raid. Unfortunately, they're not much keen on the new Crucible.

Me

by Oholiab @, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 08:41 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I play as regularly as possible. Right now, it’s the only game I play. 2-3 hours per week.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 10:46 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm just curious.

For the first three weeks, I routinely had at least 15 friends online (and often nearly double that), all playing Destiny 2. Most of my meager PSN friends list is folks from here.

At this moment, I have five friends online, and not a single one is playing Destiny 2.

I haven't been playing much of anything recently. Lots of stuff keeping me busy, but I have been hopping on when I have the chance (and when I don't just play HZD again).

I'm just curious how many have moved on and how many are still playing regularly.

Sammy still has fun with it, and she'll ask me if there are any scheduled things or raids that I've signed up for that she can get in on, but beyond that, she's not doing much gaming right now either.

My brother is a bit of an outlier. He loves the crap out of Destiny 2, and plays pretty much every day, and yet, he has absolutely zero interest in raiding. The few times that I've made him try the raid, he doesn't really have fun (and when I showed him the raids in D1, he was like "no thanks").
So I found that interesting, and it makes me kind of glad that Bungie is doing a greater number of non-raid activities, because as Destiny 1 showed, only half of the community really ever even went out of their way to finish a single raid.

So yeah, while most raid-loving folks (like the majority of people here) feel done or discouraged with D2 at the moment, there's no doubt plenty of folks who simply enjoy playing the game rather than feeling beholden to endgame stuff, and it's that kind of stuff that keeps me hopping on too.

Almost every day

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 11:25 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

• My main crew is running cards on the weekends
  • I've run the Raid once and want to run it again
  • My 3 characters cover the range 280-290
  • I play Halo 5 PvP instead of regular crucible, even if it's just by myself, it is just so crisp
  • The rhythm of Adventures and public events suits me great
  • I consider this game better in every way than D1, aside from 1 thing, without the pavlovian grind it's obvious that fewer people are around
  • I still play more Rocket League than anything else....

I jump in once a week or so.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 11:27 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Not Much

by squidnh3, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 12:48 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Mostly just the weekly raid group at this point. PvP occasionally, but it just isn't close to as much fun as D1 was.

I'd like to get my Warlock and Titan leveled to try out the game without the Hunter handicap, but it turns out there is literally no way to make the story missions even remotely challenging (even if you delete all the drops you get, the game just normalizes the enemy levels. Recommended Power Level apparently means pretty much nothing). Playing through them is so boring, I can't bring myself to bother.

Not Much

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, November 06, 2017, 09:55 (2363 days ago) @ squidnh3

Mostly just the weekly raid group at this point. PvP occasionally, but it just isn't close to as much fun as D1 was.

This is something I find really interesting, but it makes sense on further reflection. Destiny 2 is a much better game than D1 was during most of its lifetime, but despite that people are having less fun in D2 than D1.

A couple of possibilities:

1. For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth about D1's interminable grind and cruel RNG, it succeeded in motivating people and keeping them playing. And since "it's not the game that matters, it's whom you're playing with" is one of the most widely-acknowledged truths in gaming, people had fun even if they were motivated to play by negative emotions as long as they had similarly-coerced friends.

2. This is a consequence of D2 essentially being expensive DLC. D1 was terrible, but it was fresh at least. As the months rolled on that freshness waned, and while D2 was a shot in the arm in this regard it's not enough to reinvigorate the franchise. I'd wager a lot of the loyalists here feel like they're still playing the same game they were two years ago (even if they might not admit it): go to planets, shoot Vex, shoot Cabal, shoot Hive, shoot Fallen, return to Tower so you can get loot you weren't hoping for.

Not Much

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 06, 2017, 10:10 (2363 days ago) @ Schooly D

This is something I find really interesting, but it makes sense on further reflection. Destiny 2 is a much better game than D1 was during most of its lifetime, but despite that people are having less fun in D2 than D1.

It's a better game and I had more fun with everything but the raid.

2. This is a consequence of D2 essentially being expensive DLC. D1 was terrible, but it was fresh at least. As the months rolled on that freshness waned, and while D2 was a shot in the arm in this regard it's not enough to reinvigorate the franchise. I'd wager a lot of the loyalists here feel like they're still playing the same game they were two years ago (even if they might not admit it): go to planets, shoot Vex, shoot Cabal, shoot Hive, shoot Fallen, return to Tower so you can get loot you weren't hoping for.

This is the correct answer. Des2ny did not really challenge me or make me learn new skills or anything. Halo 2 played completely differently than Halo, and so you had to relearn a lot and explore this new game. Des2ny is basically Destiny, and so it kind of feels old. As a game it's great, but as a sequel it's terrible if that makes sense.

Not Much

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Monday, November 06, 2017, 12:25 (2363 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Don't forget we just got off the best D1 ever was, with 4 raids, 10 strikes, etc. So with this not having the amount of content, it just feels lamer.

Not Much

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 06, 2017, 12:28 (2363 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Don't forget we just got off the best D1 ever was, with 4 raids, 10 strikes, etc. So with this not having the amount of content, it just feels lamer.

This is legitimately puzzling to me. It appears the game is largely the same in terms of engine, just with enhancements. So why do we not have things like private matches and all that? Don't they get that 'for free' since it's already in the code?

And yes. When your sequel is smaller and moves backward it does make a bad impression. Perhaps this is why WoW never had any 'sequels' and just expansion after expansion.

Judging from what we got

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 06, 2017, 12:49 (2363 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is legitimately puzzling to me. It appears the game is largely the same in terms of engine, just with enhancements. So why do we not have things like private matches and all that? Don't they get that 'for free' since it's already in the code?

And yes. When your sequel is smaller and moves backward it does make a bad impression. Perhaps this is why WoW never had any 'sequels' and just expansion after expansion.

The code was significantly updated. The areas are huge and have a massive amount of enemies in them with more player characters doing more things in them. I remember Luke saying that the VOG opening sequence had to not have any patrols or anything in that dome because it need to handle the opening sequence. Now we have multiple people in different adventures colliding with a heroic public event amongst other things.

So while yes, they can re-use a lot of code, this isn't like they opened up Destiny.sln, selected a new drop down build setting and hit rebuild.

I'm so tired of people who haven't worked on a AAA video game, let alone write code, making assumptions about how hard it is to implement the SIMPLEST feature in a game.

Judging from what we got

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 06, 2017, 13:02 (2363 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, November 06, 2017, 13:05

The code was significantly updated. The areas are huge and have a massive amount of enemies in them with more player characters doing more things in them. I remember Luke saying that the VOG opening sequence had to not have any patrols or anything in that dome because it need to handle the opening sequence. Now we have multiple people in different adventures colliding with a heroic public event amongst other things.

So while yes, they can re-use a lot of code, this isn't like they opened up Destiny.sln, selected a new drop down build setting and hit rebuild.

I'm so tired of people who haven't worked on a AAA video game, let alone write code, making assumptions about how hard it is to implement the SIMPLEST feature in a game.

That is why I asked; I don’t make AAA games and on the outside, Des2ny looks just like Destiny.

But you also know I don’t care how hard it is. It’s something that’s expected. I expect multiplayer to work even though I’m sure network code of that complexity is hella hard to write, for instance.

Sequels having feature parity with their predecessors is another such expectation.

Judging from what we got

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 06, 2017, 13:13 (2363 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That is why I asked; I don’t make AAA games and on the outside, Des2ny looks just like Destiny.

Does it? Aesthetically sure. As he pointed out, Destiny 2 Patrols are so far above and beyond what we saw in Destiny, I honestly am still in awe half the time. That alone justifies abandoning Destiny and making a separate sequel, in my book.

Judging from what we got

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 06, 2017, 13:22 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Does it? Aesthetically sure. As he pointed out, Destiny 2 Patrols are so far above and beyond what we saw in Destiny, I honestly am still in awe half the time. That alone justifies abandoning Destiny and making a separate sequel, in my book.

Yes, but those are changes just in scope. Refinements if you will. We expected this with the abandonment of last gen.

Judging from what we got

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 06, 2017, 13:33 (2363 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, but those are changes just in scope. Refinements if you will. We expected this with the abandonment of last gen.

Of course we did. I wouldn’t have expected them if they were still shackled to merely adding onto Destiny 1 without really starting over. And sometimes starting over really means that, and leaving previous refinements and features behind, too. I won’t say it’s not disappointing, and I won’t even say it’s unrealistic to want feature parity. I am saying that it was obviously the cost of starting over, and I think it was a good decision, even given that cost.

+1

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 06, 2017, 13:40 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

+2

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, November 06, 2017, 14:20 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Only if we get those features back

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Monday, November 06, 2017, 15:00 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

FOR FREE, is it really worth it, imho. Cause this game is fun, but things we already had should not have been removed. This as a developer myself (not for games but rather complex multi-dimensional software)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, November 06, 2017, 15:39 (2363 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

FOR FREE, is it really worth it, imho. Cause this game is fun, but things we already had should not have been removed. This as a developer myself (not for games but rather complex multi-dimensional software)

do you mean multi-dimensional analysis software?

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 07:00 (2362 days ago) @ General Vagueness

No, multi-dimenionsal in that there is more than 1 app that talks to each other to accomplish a single goal (control and automation of your home). Our software is basically an OS on top of an OS, with how complex it is. We also have Authoring software too, so it's not just runtime software.

Judging from what we got

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Sunday, November 12, 2017, 16:51 (2357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was really hoping before we knew a lot about D2 that it would function more like an expansion and not a direct sequel. I still consider the fact that you have to start from scratch in D2 a betrayal by Bungie.

The kind of promises they made about 10 year experiences and keeping your same character throughout the whole Destiny cycle have already been broken in my eyes. Any time or progress or anything I put into my D1 characters has been discarded and no, keeping the same cosmetic features with everything else being thrown away does not count as keeping the same character in my eyes.

Not Much

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 06, 2017, 14:00 (2363 days ago) @ Cody Miller

there was a very detailed post on reddit a couple of weeks ago that made a very strong case that the game code was forked following the Taken King, which is why none of the live team's improvements are included in Destiny 2.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/76ysic/destiny_2_was_in_development_before_destiny_1/

QUOTE Below:

Also, the PVP sandbox has some remnants of an older build of Destiny:

• High impact autos reigning supreme (Suros Regime, anyone?)
  • Hand cannons having bloom (this was removed, or at least heavily mitigated)
  • Pulse rifles suck except for the fastest firing ones (Praedyth's Time Piece was beast in vanilla D1)
  • MIDA has High Caliber Rounds (it was removed in D1)
  • High caliber rounds actually being obnoxious (it's effectiveness was nerfed in D1)
  • Sniper rifles have "visual flinch" instead of actual flinch (fixed in D1)
  • Shotguns can headshot in PVP (shotgun crit multiplier was removed in D1)
  • Warlocks had extended melee range in the beta (this was removed before launch)
  • Hunter tether not suppressing immediately (this was fixed in D1)

Also there's some other weird things.

• Remember at the beginning of The Taken King the chests weren't granting planetary materials for the Touch of Malice? Kinda like what happens in patrol now.
  • The unlimited super glitch was still working in the beta, literally the same method as how to activate it
  • Also around the beginning of the Taken King, people did searches in the API and they found Cayde's Treasure Maps, the Dubious Volley (now Wardcliff Coil), exotic ships/sparrows, Adventures, the European Dead Zone...

Not Much

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 06, 2017, 14:23 (2363 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

there was a very detailed post on reddit a couple of weeks ago that made a very strong case that the game code was forked following the Taken King, which is why none of the live team's improvements are included in Destiny 2.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/76ysic/destiny_2_was_in_development_before_destiny_1/

QUOTE Below:

Also, the PVP sandbox has some remnants of an older build of Destiny:

• High impact autos reigning supreme (Suros Regime, anyone?)
  • Hand cannons having bloom (this was removed, or at least heavily mitigated)
  • Pulse rifles suck except for the fastest firing ones (Praedyth's Time Piece was beast in vanilla D1)
  • MIDA has High Caliber Rounds (it was removed in D1)
  • High caliber rounds actually being obnoxious (it's effectiveness was nerfed in D1)
  • Sniper rifles have "visual flinch" instead of actual flinch (fixed in D1)
  • Shotguns can headshot in PVP (shotgun crit multiplier was removed in D1)
  • Warlocks had extended melee range in the beta (this was removed before launch)
  • Hunter tether not suppressing immediately (this was fixed in D1)

Also there's some other weird things.

• Remember at the beginning of The Taken King the chests weren't granting planetary materials for the Touch of Malice? Kinda like what happens in patrol now.
  • The unlimited super glitch was still working in the beta, literally the same method as how to activate it
  • Also around the beginning of the Taken King, people did searches in the API and they found Cayde's Treasure Maps, the Dubious Volley (now Wardcliff Coil), exotic ships/sparrows, Adventures, the European Dead Zone...

This makes a lot of sense. So the improvements went into D1 code, but not into D2 because it had already been forked?

Likely

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, November 06, 2017, 15:03 (2363 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This makes a lot of sense. So the improvements went into D1 code, but not into D2 because it had already been forked?

As a software engineer, this explanation makes sense to me. It’s likely when they decided to do Destiny 2, they would have forked the old codebase so they had a stable platform to build on top of. Likely they would have tried to merge in changes when it made sense, but that isn’t always easy or possible. Depending on how much the codebases have diverged some of the fixes will probably be simple for them to port over, while others will be difficult to impossible to reuse. Likely, they have to evaluate each one independently to determine if it’s even worth it.

Live Team

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 06, 2017, 16:00 (2363 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I would also make the supposition that with the overall management of D2 being moved to the Live Team as the seasons stream implied that we will see more of those features focused on, is it may also be easier for the team who worked on them to bridge them to the other set of code. Either way it would definitely require the consideration of differences in the code for features or what have you that may interact or reference/are referenced by those changes.

They did say that they are aiming to have Private Matches back in early 18.

Not Much

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 06, 2017, 16:21 (2363 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Luke Smith (or someone, but I think it was Luke) literally said that exact thing in an interview somewhere.

I can get behind both point 1 and point 2

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 06, 2017, 10:59 (2363 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Interesting points, but...

by squidnh3, Monday, November 06, 2017, 15:39 (2363 days ago) @ Schooly D

A couple of possibilities:

1. For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth about D1's interminable grind and cruel RNG, it succeeded in motivating people and keeping them playing. And since "it's not the game that matters, it's whom you're playing with" is one of the most widely-acknowledged truths in gaming, people had fun even if they were motivated to play by negative emotions as long as they had similarly-coerced friends.

I was actually just talking about PvP being less fun.

PvE I'd say is just about the same level of fun for me. It's never what kept me playing D1 - I still haven't finished all The Taken King stories on my alts. I will say though, similar to your point 1: with the quicker path to the Raid (and less valuable rewards or incentive to replay as a result), I would guess that player Raid completion percentage is down in D2. D1's more drawn out investment system might have been worse for some individual players, but it was probably better for the overall community.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, November 06, 2017, 17:02 (2363 days ago) @ squidnh3

I would guess that player Raid completion percentage is down in D2. D1's more drawn out investment system might have been worse for some individual players, but it was probably better for the overall community.

I would suspect the opposite. The size of the “grind gap” between the end of the campaign and being Raid Ready in D1 was so huge that the majority of the player base never got there. It’s way easier to get a character up to raid level in D2.

That said, I would also guess that players who did raid in D1 would raid far more frequently on average, thanks to the awesomeness of the raid gear acting as an incentive.

by squidnh3, Monday, November 06, 2017, 17:14 (2363 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I would suspect the opposite. The size of the “grind gap” between the end of the campaign and being Raid Ready in D1 was so huge that the majority of the player base never got there. It’s way easier to get a character up to raid level in D2.

But less easy to find a raid group. It took me until right before The Dark Below to get around to doing VoG, but there were still lots of groups running it at that time, so I was able to hop into some Fireteam Builder events and enjoy it for the first time, months after it had come out. Crota era Fireteam Builder events would sometimes have 3 teams worth of sign ups. There seems to have been a huge dropoff in that kind of thing. There could be several reasons for that of course, but to me it seems like one of them pretty much has to be that after you get through it, there's not much reason to do it again. Like I said, great for the players that wanted to feel like one and done was enough, but less great for those lagging behind without a dedicated group.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 00:26 (2362 days ago) @ squidnh3

I suspect a portion of that is that there are hidden raids now in the fire team builder. The people who like to raid have found that people who are consistently available at a certain time each week, and that's how it tends to go. There's less opportunity for raid teams to form organically or at least publicly. It also doesn't help when admins discourage the use of the fireteam builder.

P.S.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 05:51 (2362 days ago) @ Kermit

I suspect a portion of that is that there are hidden raids now in the fire team builder. The people who like to raid have found that people who are consistently available at a certain time each week, and that's how it tends to go. There's less opportunity for raid teams to form organically or at least publicly. It also doesn't help when admins discourage the use of the fireteam builder.

I'm sure Munky was kidding, but still. My goal is to organize one raid per console per week. You're certainly welcome to join.

Let's Raid!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 06:58 (2362 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm sure Munky was kidding, but still. My goal is to organize one raid per console per week. You're certainly welcome to join.

Kermit,

I know I've gotten into a rhythm with my raid team on Tuesdays. But I'd be happy to run it again with you and others! What evening works best? I just got my Titan up to 290 (thanks, sick day) so I'd love to run it with her.

P.S. - This is no one's fault, but I think a number of us just kinda ran with the same Raid team while many of you took your time to finish it blind. Now that everyone (I know, probably not everyone) has beaten the Raid, I'd be happy to play with ya'll!

Let's Raid!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 07:04 (2362 days ago) @ breitzen

Kermit,

I know I've gotten into a rhythm with my raid team on Tuesdays. But I'd be happy to run it again with you and others! What evening works best? I just got my Titan up to 290 (thanks, sick day) so I'd love to run it with her.

P.S. - This is no one's fault, but I think a number of us just kinda ran with the same Raid team while many of you took your time to finish it blind. Now that everyone (I know, probably not everyone) has beaten the Raid, I'd be happy to play with ya'll!

Yeah, If I'm free, I would love to run the raid more often. Time has been my biggest hindrance. But I love mixing it up with other DBOers

Let's Raid!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 08:02 (2362 days ago) @ breitzen

Posted.

I still haven't killed Calus. :(

Wrong time, obviously. Fixed.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 10:04 (2362 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Let's Raid!

by kupkake191, Marysville, WA, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 12:39 (2362 days ago) @ Kermit

We will get you to calus :)

:-)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 13:02 (2362 days ago) @ kupkake191

We will get you to calus :)

On many occasions, I hope.

Let's Raid!

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 10:16 (2362 days ago) @ breitzen

I've been meaning to raid again, ever since I finished the blind run with Disciple's group, and LFG sites are kind of a pain.

(Although I did find a pretty nice group the other day; granted they were posting in the fresh run section when they were actually on a Calus checkpoint, but, well, somehow that's common.)

My schedule is just a mess, and worse an inconsistent mess, so I can't really set up an event with any notice; and I've been having bad luck with lining up with other schedules, lately.

Though tonight seems like quite the exception!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 15:14 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Will I still be playing? - Yes.

Am I still actively playing? - No.

Current game - Prey (2017)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Sunday, November 05, 2017, 15:19 (2364 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Real life stepped in and limited me lately, but I still play more days than I don't on XBL; mostly patrols & public events though I just tried one of Ikora's meditations and that might be fun too.

-- Steve should probably use the FTB more for stuff like Nightfalls, though it's not a pressing need; main & alt are above the 300 threshold, so drops aren't really a concern.

PS: I did buy the expansion pass last week when Osiris was announced, so I expect to be playing at least a couple days a week until the spring.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, November 06, 2017, 06:00 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I still play almost nightly. I main a hunter and have pretty much done everything there is to do so I started a Warlock a week or so ago and just finished the campaign. Probably just going to go ahead and start my Titan now because Warlocks suck and I really have no interest in using it now that I've unlocked my achievements for it and reached level 20.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, November 06, 2017, 07:07 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I want to play more with people, but my schedule just hasn't lined up with others lately.

by General Battuta, Monday, November 06, 2017, 08:33 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was gifted a copy, but I haven't quite read or heard anything that hooked me into playing. I was/am most excited for the tidbits of environmental lore and all the new item descriptions to read, but I can get those off Ishtar and YouTube.

by telemachus, Monday, November 06, 2017, 09:32 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Still playing, I only get a few hours a week these days. I feel that it's a perfect fit. I no longer get anxiety about completing all the things I want to do, which I experienced a lot in D1. Especially after I had my first kid, as my hours were cut significantly.

I have a few IRL friends I play with, so that's a hook for playing more.

I definitely have my gripes with the game, but I still have fun, and I have faith that Bungie will eventually do right by (most of) us as the Live Team does their thing.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Monday, November 06, 2017, 10:42 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yes and no. As others have said, not having the grind means I don't feel the need to play as much, which is good as I always seem to miss things (like Iron Banner the first time). I enjoy it when I do, but it's because we don't have as much to do.

In D1 we currently have 3 years of content, so I think that's part of it.

As others have said, there is a Fun factor that just seems to be missing. But I still enjoy it when I get on with DBO'ers, even more so then IRL friends.

With ebb and flow, yes.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, November 06, 2017, 11:41 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

As has been made clear, you can feel accomplished even without dropping all of your time into the game. I have been playing other games around Des2ny more than I did at the start of Dest1ny. The core gameplay loop is still possibly the best on the market from an overall consideration on modern shooter games. But most of the strong draws aren't in there the same way. It has become a more casual experience for me based on who is online. Which admittedly is much fewer folk than before.

I have a reasonably large essay as a critique of the game, mostly being critical pf the PvP experience as well as looking at the application of set rolls and mods. I'm probably going to hold off and edit it related to upcoming CoO info. But a lot of the raw fun and character of Dest1ny's Crucible and Strikes (my two main activities at the time) is just not there in Des2ny.

With other games coming out and my existing backlog being worked through I really appreciate that Des2ny is happy to not demand all of my time, though not for perfect reasons all the time. but sometimes I miss running King's Fall 3 times a week with the same people. The Leviathan just doesn't have the same pull that thr D1 Raids had. A great blind experience, but it hasn't made me want to go back nearly as much.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, November 06, 2017, 15:38 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I haven't been playing it but I haven't given up on it. I've been busy, but also kind of uninterested. I liked exploring what was there and doing the missions. Now that those are both done (aside from a few lost sectors and the strikes and raid), and now that I'm not scrambling to get raid ready (although I still haven't done a raid), some of the fire is gone. I actually played Destiny 1 again a couple times recently, tried out some guns I never got around to trying, walked around killing things on patrol; it was good, although not as good as some years ago because of the repetition.

Fortnite + Stranger Things 2 + Football = no Des2ny

by Kahzgul, Monday, November 06, 2017, 17:27 (2363 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Am I allowed to say this?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 10:47 (2362 days ago) @ cheapLEY

https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=138271

"I'm nervous that the burn out factor in D2 may happen." - ManKitten

Hashtag ManKitten is canon? Did I do that right?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 12:09 (2362 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 12:13

I think the problem of choice is only a problem to the new or the uninformed. In your example you use Pop from the supermarket. If you've never had any in your life, yeah, you'd be overwhelmed with the variety. But if you are familiar with it, the choice doesn't bother you at all; you just go for Vanilla Coke.

Lack of expertise is really the problem in the problem of choice. Because an expert will want choice and variety, and they do not feel anxiety because they know the finer details of each of the choices. Moreover this is a benefit to them, since they can fine tune things to the experience they want to have. People do this with wine all the time, pairing various sweet and dry wines with food based on the palate. And because you don't want to eat the same thing every night, the choice is invigorating. But only if you have the knowledge to make the choice.

This is easily solved in video game design with ramping difficulty and an expanding world. You have your player slowly become experts at a few things at a time, then when they have mastered all of this you unleash them into a vast ocean of choice.

It's also why when you learn about anything, you start with the basics, then branch out as your knowledge grows.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 12:52 (2362 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the problem of choice is only a problem to the new or the uninformed. In your example you use Pop from the supermarket. If you've never had any in your life, yeah, you'd be overwhelmed with the variety. But if you are familiar with it, the choice doesn't bother you at all; you just go for Vanilla Coke.

You are 100% wrong about this.

I grew up in the United States, and was completely comfortable with supermarkets. I joined the Peace Corps, and spent 3 years in a developing nation. When I came home, one of the most overwhelming things was walking down the cereal aisle in my hometown Stop and Shop - it made me physically dizzy.

I guarantee you, if you poll 100 returned peace corps volunteers, more than 75 of them will have a similar story.

Cereal options were not new, nor was I uninformed. I was simply seeing them in a different context.

The options ManKitten saw upon playing D2 were not new, really. He'd seen most of them in D1. They were simply presented in a way that made it difficult to choose a path.

(For what it's worth - I've lived in this house for 4.5 years now, and I STILL get overwhelmed sometimes if I'm trying to pick a place to eat - there are just too many places that are good.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 13:43 (2362 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 13:50

Then our life experiences are simply 100% different! :-)

But is what you are writing about really the problem of choice? It seems like your problem isn't the choosing, but the environment itself and your readjustment to it.

Choice does not exist in a vacuum.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 13:53 (2362 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Nothing exists in a vacuum.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 18:35 (2362 days ago) @ Harmanimus

.... or else it's not vacuum.

Nothing exists in a vacuum.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 19:18 (2362 days ago) @ narcogen

.... or else it's not vacuum.

Except for the Higgs Field and vacuum energy… no such thing as empty space in this universe.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 14:31 (2362 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But is what you are writing about really the problem of choice? It seems like your problem isn't the choosing, but the environment itself and your readjustment to it.

Where did you get this phrase "problem of choice"? Mankitten and Claude were talking about the paradox of choice, which is a real phenomenon that has been studied in great detail.

I wish I was as smart as you think you are.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 14:37 (2362 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 14:43

Where did you get this phrase "problem of choice"? Mankitten and Claude were talking about the paradox of choice, which is a real phenomenon that has been studied in great detail.

So am I. Same thing. We are talking about the same issue.

But tell me, have they run experiments on people who are EXPERTS? Like, send someone who's played guitar for 50 years into a store to buy one. Would they feel the same about their purchase as a teenager looking to start a band? I'm guessing no, but then again I haven't run any experiments to prove that. Has anybody else?

Oh wait, they have. It turns out the paradox of choice is bullshit:

Attempts to duplicate the paradox of choice in other studies have had mixed success. A meta-analysis incorporating research from 50 independent studies found no meaningful connection between choice and anxiety

http://www.scheibehenne.de/ScheibehenneGreifenederTodd2010.pdf

Don't believe everything you see in a TED talk dude.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 14:46 (2362 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But tell me, have they run experiments on people who are EXPERTS? Like, send someone who's played guitar for 50 years into a store to buy one. Would they feel the same about their purchase as a teenager looking to start a band? I'm guessing no, but then again I haven't run any experiments to prove that. Has anybody else?

Attempts to duplicate the paradox of choice in other studies have had mixed success. A meta-analysis incorporating research from 50 independent studies found no meaningful connection between choice and anxiety

...I was just wondering if people were already burned out on Destiny 2 based on the original thread post. That's why I quoted that line from my old post. In D1 we were trickle fed. In D2 we binged from the beginning.

[image]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 14:49 (2362 days ago) @ ManKitten

...I was just wondering if people were already burned out on Destiny 2 based on the original thread post. That's why I quoted that line from my old post. In D1 we were trickle fed. In D2 we binged from the beginning.

[image]

Wouldn't it be more like

[image]

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 14:52 (2362 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

Wouldn't it be more like

[image]

I don't know. My office network is blocking the image :P
See my previous post in reaction to this.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 15:16 (2362 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Thanks for the link, but I think you're cherry picking what you want out of that paper. Choice overload is a phenomenon but much depends on context. You describe only scenarios where people can quickly and readily limit their choices, thereby making the preponderance of choice moot.

You have extremely strong personal preferences (this is not wholly a compliment--it affects your ability to give any credence to alternative preferences). It makes sense that you would discredit an experience you don't have. I can easily imagine you in the grocery. "There's only two decent cereals, and this is the best one." Well, bully for you.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 15:50 (2362 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 15:55

Thanks for the link, but I think you're cherry picking what you want out of that paper. Choice overload is a phenomenon but much depends on context. You describe only scenarios where people can quickly and readily limit their choices, thereby making the preponderance of choice moot.

You have extremely strong personal preferences (this is not wholly a compliment--it affects your ability to give any credence to alternative preferences). It makes sense that you would discredit an experience you don't have. I can easily imagine you in the grocery. "There's only two decent cereals, and this is the best one." Well, bully for you.

Dude, this is the exact opposite of what you describe. I give you a link to a scientific review of 50 such studies, and it concludes the link is either not meaningful, or it is due to other factors. That's hardly discrediting an experience I don't have. It's literally examining a wide variety of experiences and coming to an evidence drawn conclusion.

I mean, it directly supports my original hypothesis:

One important such precondition is lack of familiarity with, or prior pref- erences for, the items in the choice assortment so that choos- ers will not be able to rely merely on selecting something that matches their own preferences (Iyengar and Lepper 2000). Chernev (2003a, 2003b) showed that people with clear prior preferences prefer to choose from larger assort- ments and that, for those people, choice probability and satisfaction increased with the number of options to choose from, the opposite of choice overload.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 07:01 (2361 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 07:06

Dude, this is the exact opposite of what you describe. I give you a link to a scientific review of 50 such studies, and it concludes the link is either not meaningful, or it is due to other factors. That's hardly discrediting an experience I don't have. It's literally examining a wide variety of experiences and coming to an evidence drawn conclusion.

I mean, it directly supports my original hypothesis:

One important such precondition is lack of familiarity with, or prior pref- erences for, the items in the choice assortment so that choos- ers will not be able to rely merely on selecting something that matches their own preferences (Iyengar and Lepper 2000). Chernev (2003a, 2003b) showed that people with clear prior preferences prefer to choose from larger assort- ments and that, for those people, choice probability and satisfaction increased with the number of options to choose from, the opposite of choice overload.

DUDE. I don't think we're understanding each other. I don't think that many choices necessarily leads to dissatisfaction, and to the extent that the paradox of choice theory is invoked as some sort of law, we're probably in agreement. A preponderance of choices in itself isn't a predictor of dissatisfaction. I don't think it's bullshit, as you so delicately put it, because it's useful to describe the experience of having many choices that aren't distinctive and can't be easily chosen among. More importantly, it's a useful concept for creators to think about, in that they can ensure that the choices they offer are meaningful to their audience, and they can be cautious about not overwhelming their audience. I mean, ask Steve Jobs (if only we could). There was a man who understood the paradox of choice. Expert PC users spent decades lording their expertise over the rubes who didn't necessarily want to have to learn how to build a PC in order to use one. Steve Jobs sided with the rubes, and computing became ubiquitous in no small part because of him. There's a famous book about usability called Don't Make Me Think. A big part of usability is about avoiding the paradox of choice.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 08:08 (2361 days ago) @ Kermit

DUDE. I don't think we're understanding each other. I don't think that many choices necessarily leads to dissatisfaction, and to the extent that the paradox of choice theory is invoked as some sort of law, we're probably in agreement. A preponderance of choices in itself isn't a predictor of dissatisfaction. I don't think it's bullshit, as you so delicately put it, because it's useful to describe the experience of having many choices that aren't distinctive and can't be easily chosen among. More importantly, it's a useful concept for creators to think about, in that they can ensure that the choices they offer are meaningful to their audience, and they can be cautious about not overwhelming their audience. I mean, ask Steve Jobs (if only we could). There was a man who understood the paradox of choice. Expert PC users spent decades lording their expertise over the rubes who didn't necessarily want to have to learn how to build a PC in order to use one. Steve Jobs sided with the rubes, and computing became ubiquitous in no small part because of him. There's a famous book about usability called Don't Make Me Think. A big part of usability is about avoiding the paradox of choice.

This I think falls more under meaningful choice. For Steve, computers were creative tools and the people who used them creative professionals (at least for most of Apple's life). Thus, many 'choices' were not meaningful to them regarding the technical aspects of the computer. They cared about what software it would run, and whether what they saw on the screen would look the same way on the page, the quality of the UI, etc. It's not the paradox of choice; it's getting rid of meaningless choices that get in the way of your creativity.

And by the way, everybody shit on the 2013 Mac Pros and the New Macbook Pros because they don't offer enough options. But your phone? It just has to do a few things well.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 08:27 (2361 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This I think falls more under meaningful choice. For Steve, computers were creative tools and the people who used them creative professionals (at least for most of Apple's life). Thus, many 'choices' were not meaningful to them regarding the technical aspects of the computer. They cared about what software it would run, and whether what they saw on the screen would look the same way on the page, the quality of the UI, etc. It's not the paradox of choice; it's getting rid of meaningless choices that get in the way of your creativity.

It's just as stupid to say that more choice is always bad as it is to say that more choice is always good, and when I invoke "the paradox of choice," I'm pushing back against the latter.

And by the way, everybody shit on the 2013 Mac Pros and the New Macbook Pros because they don't offer enough options. But your phone? It just has to do a few things well.

Oh, I'm not the guy who's going to say Apple always makes the best decisions in terms of how they limit our choices, but Jobs was pretty damn good about deciding what was essential and what wasn't. He did a much better job than Apple is doing currently, IMHO. I mean, taking away the home button on the iPhone feels idiotic to be, the wrong answer to the question, What Would Jobs Do? I reserve the right to change that opinion, though, because I've had to revise similar opinions in the past.

How big is your house?!

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 16:25 (2362 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Don't you eat in the dining room or in the bathroom hiding from your wife and kids like normal people?

Do you have two kitchens?

This post made me laugh. Thanks, Funk!

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 19:33 (2362 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

How big is your house?!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 14:16 (2361 days ago) @ Funkmon

[image]

Reverse Culture Shock

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 18:34 (2362 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I grew up in the United States, and was completely comfortable with supermarkets. I joined the Peace Corps, and spent 3 years in a developing nation. When I came home, one of the most overwhelming things was walking down the cereal aisle in my hometown Stop and Shop - it made me physically dizzy.

I guarantee you, if you poll 100 returned peace corps volunteers, more than 75 of them will have a similar story.

Reverse culture shock.

RPCVs and others working for charitable institutions in various parts of the world probably experience it more often, but it can happen to anyone living long enough in an area with different economic conditions.

Did I mention I'm returning to the US permanently starting next week?

Reverse Culture Shock

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 19:07 (2362 days ago) @ narcogen

A few things have happened since you were gone…

You didn't, no.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 23:03 (2362 days ago) @ narcogen

Welcome back.

Mind the cereal aisle. :)

Reverse Culture Shock

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 08:53 (2361 days ago) @ narcogen

Reverse culture shock.

RPCVs and others working for charitable institutions in various parts of the world probably experience it more often, but it can happen to anyone living long enough in an area with different economic conditions.

Is it trivial of me that my first thought was, "Yay, lag-free play with narc!"

Welcome back.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 13:20 (2362 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lack of expertise is really the problem in the problem of choice. Because an expert will want choice and variety, and they do not feel anxiety because they know the finer details of each of the choices. Moreover this is a benefit to them, since they can fine tune things to the experience they want to have. People do this with wine all the time, pairing various sweet and dry wines with food based on the palate. And because you don't want to eat the same thing every night, the choice is invigorating. But only if you have the knowledge to make the choice.

You seem to lack expertise about the paradox of choice.

For me, the paradox of choice has been much less of a problem in D2 than in D1. In D1, the main area where it was a problem was weapons, armor, and perks. I was often paralyzed by all the choices involved, and would spend huge chunks of time thinking about it, researching it, and so on. It began feeling like work.

To me, D2 is much less likely to have this problem. I look at the challenges, think about what I have time for/what I feel like doing, and I choose. It's much easier and less stressful than D1 was.

This is probably also helped by the fact that I'm really focusing on one character at a time.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 13:30 (2362 days ago) @ Kermit

For me, the paradox of choice has been much less of a problem in D2 than in D1. In D1, the main area where it was a problem was weapons, armor, and perks. I was often paralyzed by all the choices involved, and would spend huge chunks of time thinking about it, researching it, and so on. It began feeling like work.

I took the opposite path. Given so many guns with so many random perks, I disengaged and ignored them almost entirely.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 14:08 (2362 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I took the opposite path. Given so many guns with so many random perks, I disengaged and ignored them almost entirely.

I did until my vault filled up, which was pretty constant in year three.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 16:08 (2362 days ago) @ Kermit

Heh. That was sort of irrelevant for me too. Once I got Fatebringer, I didn’t use anything else. And once TTK came out, I bought Hung Jury and barely used anything else.

by kupkake191, Marysville, WA, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 12:45 (2362 days ago) @ cheapLEY

still playing D2 and other games and watch my Seahawks play. I enjoy play with my friends online and enjoy playing Destiny in general. :)

Cannot muster up the motivation!

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 10:19 (2361 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I feel there is little left for me to do that I find worth my time. I get on and do some PVP and piddle around with flashpoints and such here and there, but other than that not much. I enjoy hanging with people during the Raid, but the Raid itself is not that great IMO. The rewards are not worth the effort, not that it requires much to do the raid. It's just not fun enough grind for some less-than-desirable looking gear that may take you 20 runs to get a set of. Not to mention the prestige raid drops are basically just shaders.

HZD and Dues Ex should eat up a bunch of my time til December.

me.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 20:34 (2361 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread