PC blind raid? (Destiny)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 11:17 (1673 days ago)

I'm living the cross-save life and digging all of those extra frames so hard that I snoozed on the Xbox blind raid. Any PC players interested in giving it a go next Saturday?

-Disciple

PC blind raid?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 11:38 (1673 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I'm living the cross-save life and digging all of those extra frames so hard that I snoozed on the Xbox blind raid. Any PC players interested in giving it a go next Saturday?

-Disciple

:(

Tell Texas to hurry it up with that Mac Pro.

(I so with I could justify it.)

PC blind raid?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 11:45 (1673 days ago) @ Kermit

-Disciple

:(

Tell Texas to hurry it up with that Mac Pro.

(I so with I could justify it.)

Yeah, my xbox is still the most powerful machine in my house. Actually, my new iPhone might have taken that position.

PC blind raid?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 11:45 (1673 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I was going to post a thread for a check up on the Xbox crew. Blue hasn’t ever confirmed if he’s in or not. I just added him because he said he was interested in that thread I started a month ago. He should still be tentative, I just have accidentally changed it.

PC blind raid?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 12:22 (1673 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by bluerunner, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 12:27

I thought this post was confirming it.
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=164294

I'm planning to be in. I will be available that weekend and the next week, but out the following weekend.

PC blind raid?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 15:03 (1673 days ago) @ bluerunner

I must have missed that post! Sorry.

I sort of just expected you to add yourself to the event at some point if you were in. (:

PC blind raid?

by squidnh3, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 14:02 (1673 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I really hope I didn't throw a wrench into anyone's plans here by switching from tentative to confirmed after a long delay! I actually wasn't sure I would have the time till yesterday.

PC blind raid?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 14:37 (1673 days ago) @ squidnh3

Looks like I got moved to tentative, so that bumped me out.

PC blind raid?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 15:05 (1673 days ago) @ bluerunner

Looks like I got moved to tentative, so that bumped me out.

No, you’re good. I just didn’t see your confirmation post however many weeks ago. You had been in there as tentative from the beginning, I just have switched it by mistake at some point.

Current roster.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 15:18 (1673 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

So, right now for the Xbox crew, we have

Myself
Kermit
Bluerunner
INSANEdrive
squid
Korny

Chris also switched from tentative to confirmed today, but was the 7th to do so. And Disciple also wants to play.

If someone really wants it, I’m willing to give up my spot. Blind raiding is fun and I’d love to play, but it doesn’t quite have the same shine it used to for me.

Current roster.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 16:06 (1673 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Myself
Kermit
Bluerunner
INSANEdrive
squid
Korny

Chris also switched from tentative to confirmed today, but was the 7th to do so. And Disciple also wants to play.

If someone really wants it, I’m willing to give up my spot. Blind raiding is fun and I’d love to play, but it doesn’t quite have the same shine it used to for me.

It's your raid, buddy, and I look forward to playing with you and will be disappointed if you don't play. I will say one thing only because you cracked the door slightly. I know you have to work, but I'd prefer it started earlier. Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I remember raiding for most of a weekend in D1, and that seems impossible now. Maybe everyone but me has grown up and can't make that kind of commitment, but planning these things wouldn't be such a hassle if six people could give up a a good chunk of a few days once a season. Heaven knows I've kvetched enough about the challenges of blind raid organizing, so I'll shut up now.

Current roster.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 16:41 (1673 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, I wanted to start earlier to. We had someone quit on us. It ended up being great for my schedule (I have a three day weekend every other week now), but that’s my Saturday to work and there’s just no way I can miss it. I might be able to sneak out early, but don’t count on it.

The only other option is to postpone it a week. I’ll be off all weekend the following weekend, so we could potentially start after reset and go through the weekend. I know that’s a tough ask, and I don’t particularly care either way.

Current roster.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 27, 2019, 10:18 (1672 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, I wanted to start earlier to. We had someone quit on us. It ended up being great for my schedule (I have a three day weekend every other week now), but that’s my Saturday to work and there’s just no way I can miss it. I might be able to sneak out early, but don’t count on it.

The only other option is to postpone it a week. I’ll be off all weekend the following weekend, so we could potentially start after reset and go through the weekend. I know that’s a tough ask, and I don’t particularly care either way.

I've always thought the ideal would be two weeks out and keep that weekend free, during which you work firemen hours to get the thing done. (And in the case where we have more than enough people, those with the most flexibility in the immediate future are in.) Alas, finding six people that patient, that committed to being blind, and that flexible seems impossible.

Blue's out if we postpone. We're in a good place I think (which is impressive because I don't think you sweated it nearly as much as I have in the past).

Current roster.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:23 (1672 days ago) @ Kermit

Dont hold off postponing because of me. I'll let my slot open the next weekend if we don't finish The weekend of October 18, 19,and 20 is looking open, so I will try to get some kind of event going that weekend.

Current roster.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 26, 2019, 16:10 (1673 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There is a possibility I might go tentative. I am supposed to meet with someone in Memphis (3 hours away) that morning, but was planning on being back by start time. They called and said they needed to see if that will work. I should know in the next few days.

Cool. Cool. Now that the Xbox team is mostly sorted...

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, September 27, 2019, 09:42 (1673 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Are there any PC players interested in blind raiding next weekend? :p

-Disciple

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:00 (1672 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Heh. The only reason I posted is that I thought we had an extra slot open for you.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, September 27, 2019, 13:10 (1672 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Heh. The only reason I posted is that I thought we had an extra slot open for you.

I know. And I definitely appreciate it. I just thought the way it played out was funny :p

Me: Oops. Missed my chance for the Xbox raid. Any interest from PC players?

You: I haven't gotten confirmation from a lot of the Xbox crew, so there's probably still room!

Me: Oh, yeah! That would be c-

Xbox Player 5: *confirmed*

Xbox Player 6: *confirmed*

Xbox Player 7: *confirmed*

Me: -ool.

PC Players: *crickets*

To be honest, one of the reasons I didn't sign up sooner is because I'm getting pretty burned out on the blind raiding thing. I love the idea, but my last several attempts have turned out to be way more frustrating than fun for me. There was just enough of a spark of enthusiasm left to sign up when it looked like you guys might have been short on confirmed participants, but definitely not enough to potentially bump anyone who signed up as tentative earlier but had their schedules clear up enough to confirm.

I was hoping maybe a PC raid would have enough "new" to offset the potential frustration, but even with cross-saves potentially expanding the PC roster, the interest on that side is still holding steady at zero.

-Disciple

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 27, 2019, 14:24 (1672 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Yeah I feel you.

This thread alone has me feeling preemptively exhausted instead of excited.

Maybe one day I’ll have a PC that can run Destiny.

For the record, I’m excited

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 27, 2019, 18:02 (1672 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 27, 2019, 18:28 (1672 days ago) @ Kermit

I am too!

It's just that the organization part is always more mentally taxing than I anticipate. And I hate leaving people out--we've got 8 people wanting to do a 6 person activity, and it just sucks.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, September 28, 2019, 00:32 (1672 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I am too!

It's just that the organization part is always more mentally taxing than I anticipate. And I hate leaving people out--we've got 8 people wanting to do a 6 person activity, and it just sucks.

Well, that just means you need 4 more. (I haven't signed up, for example.)

by squidnh3, Monday, September 30, 2019, 10:16 (1669 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And I hate leaving people out--we've got 8 people wanting to do a 6 person activity, and it just sucks.

This is a tough thing to deal with when running any event, but don't necessarily feel like it's all your burden to bear. The group can usually offer a solution.

Specifically, I already know I won't be able to play Sunday night. If the other 5 of the group plus an extra can play that night, I'm fine with letting the group attempt to move forward, although I'd hope to be able to rejoin when the group reconvenes again.

I should probably note...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:13 (1672 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Myself
Kermit
Bluerunner
INSANEdrive
squid
Korny

I'm with you on blind raiding cheapLEY. I just want to get in to the first wave and see how far we can get. Once we get stopped, be it mechanics, time, whatever... when the group disbands, so does my slot. That's not to say I won't be rejoining, I'd love to. I'd love to finish what we started as a group. Hey, if we can do it in the first week, even better. But I'm busy doing real life shit, and don't want to hold anyone up if I gotta do what I gotta do. Syncing up my schedule to Destiny is possibly going to become a difficult affair.

I'm weird.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 27, 2019, 14:16 (1672 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

My two favorite two activities in Destiny are:

1) blind raiding
2) anti-blind raiding (for lack of a better word--I like the time [sometimes near the end of a season] when we're like a well-oiled machine, each doing our part).

Of course you're weird...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, September 27, 2019, 15:08 (1672 days ago) @ Kermit

... you're part of DBO. :P

It's fun seeing, or rather absorbing the art teams works for the first time. It's fun to figure out the puzzle at hand & it's fun... moving at a cadence, if it can be reached. Larger the then sum and all that.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 27, 2019, 16:07 (1672 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Blind raiding is the most fun this game has to offer.

I was going to say it’s become a case of diminishing returns every time now, but I don’t think that’s the way to put it.

It’s becoming increasingly more difficult to organize and commit to running a blind raid. I no longer truly want to dedicate every evening for a week to raiding. That would probably be different the raid didn’t drop at the same time as other content. I often find myself wishing the raid would drop like six weeks after the expansion, so I can take my time and play everything on offer before I decide to essentially shut myself off from the rest of the game for a week or two.

I would love that.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 27, 2019, 18:00 (1672 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Been wishing for this since way before king's fall. =)

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, September 30, 2019, 08:00 (1670 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, September 30, 2019, 09:02 (1670 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm with you on that. The problem too is being underleveled, so I have to spend a lot of time besides the raid time to get my level up enough. Just too much grind all at once at the start of a season. Then by the time we finish, everybody is burned out.

I never even finished the last raid. I think for me the issue is that most people here like to raid Tuesday-Thursday, and those are bad nights for me. I might start setting up Friday night events this coming season just to see if I can get some traction.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 30, 2019, 09:45 (1670 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Blind raiding is the most fun this game has to offer.

I was going to say it’s become a case of diminishing returns every time now, but I don’t think that’s the way to put it.

It’s becoming increasingly more difficult to organize and commit to running a blind raid. I no longer truly want to dedicate every evening for a week to raiding. That would probably be different the raid didn’t drop at the same time as other content. I often find myself wishing the raid would drop like six weeks after the expansion, so I can take my time and play everything on offer before I decide to essentially shut myself off from the rest of the game for a week or two.

I've always found it difficult. The only one that maybe wasn't was the first one where Beorn assigned teams and he put a lot of work into it. At that time no one knew what we were in for. We didn't play until three weeks after VoG dropped! I know my team was blind, but I'm not sure how. Maybe clickbait wasn't such a thing.

Aside from chasing down commitments from everyone (using the method of communication they prefer), part of that difficulty is how hard it seems to be for people to stay blind after the raid drops combined with people wanting to do it as soon as they can. So it has to be an intense grind.

I'll say now in advance of the next raid: if the schedule is similar and five people can live with the raid being out there a week without playing it, I'll organize that. At least we can spread the grind out over a reset.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 30, 2019, 12:36 (1669 days ago) @ Kermit

I am totally okay with waiting.

What I increasingly have a hard time with is foregoing the rest of Destiny (or just my life) for a week. I enjoying blind raiding. Every time I enjoy it a little less when we’re four evenings in and I start to feel the pressure to play so we can get it done when I’d really rather be doing something else.

Next raid, I’d love to do it on a weekend off. Start Friday night and play for as long as we need to through the weekend, but end on Sunday evening. We make it as far as we make it, but the commitment ends Sunday night.

Because that’s really what I struggle with. Staying blind is pretty easy. It’s the commitment to devoting all of my play time for a week or sometimes even more. I feel bad signing up for a blind raid without seeing the whole thing through. But Last Wish broke me in that regard. We spent weeks on that raid, and I guess I just don’t enjoy it enough for that to be okay anymore.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, September 30, 2019, 13:59 (1669 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I like that idea. I would be willing to wait 2 or 3 weeks for the group to level up in a reasonable manner and devote a weekend to it. I want the challenge to be figuring out the mechanics, not insufficient dps or staying alive issues due to being underleveled. In the past it seems we figure out the mechanics, but we get stuck because we die instantly or can't do the necessary damage with the only weapons we had time to level. The time we spent banging our heads against the level issue could have been spent upping our levels first.

I’m potentially down.

by Harmanimus @, Monday, September 30, 2019, 10:42 (1669 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I have been basically only PC since CoO. Cross Saves be damned. I don’t know what my regular group will be looking like, and we have more than 6 people who play Destiny. And I don’t know what the real world will be like this weekend either. But yeah. There is life in the PC realm here even still.

Rock on!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, September 30, 2019, 11:51 (1669 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I have been basically only PC since CoO. Cross Saves be damned. I don’t know what my regular group will be looking like, and we have more than 6 people who play Destiny. And I don’t know what the real world will be like this weekend either. But yeah. There is life in the PC realm here even still.

I'll be playing through all of the story stuff on PC, though I like to run solo through each character's story missions. Once the story stuff is done and I'm moving on to the power grind, I'll totally be down to team up and knock some stuff out. If you or anyone else wants to add me on Steam, my friend code is 36034368.

-Disciple

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread