If you could only get TWO Bungie REMAKES, what would they be (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 08:45 (1594 days ago)

You can snap your fingers and get two modern remakes of any Bungie developed or published game. Which two, why, and what would you hope for? You can go crazy here: you can even change genre for the remake if you like.

GNOP HD and Halo 3, but with firefight.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 13:53 (1594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Marathon Infinity

by General Battuta, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 14:12 (1594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

and something else, whatever!

edit: Destiny 1 with a story

Ditto.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 17:35 (1594 days ago) @ General Battuta

- No text -

Marathon 2 and Halo 2

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 14:59 (1594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Pathways & Halo 2

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 17:01 (1594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Pathways as a Tomb Raider style game.

Halo 2 (same campaign) But with a Destiny style twist where New Mombasa and High Charity become open world locations that you do missions in as ODSTs in post campaign.

Pathways & Halo 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 21:14 (1594 days ago) @ breitzen

Pathways as a Tomb Raider style game.

Yes. Pathways could get a kickass remake.

I just want a way to play PiD :(

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Saturday, December 21, 2019, 04:45 (1588 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Oni.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 18:06 (1594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

+7

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, December 16, 2019, 02:22 (1593 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Too bad Bungie probably won't ever get the rights to this

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, December 16, 2019, 07:22 (1593 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Oni.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 16, 2019, 09:24 (1593 days ago) @ Ragashingo

In my imagination, Mirror's Edge was the remake (but of course it wasn't in some very fundamental ways). I loved Oni.

If you could only get TWO Bungie REMAKES, what would they be

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 20:18 (1594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Halo 2 and 3 released together as a single game.

Part I ends at the launching of the Forerunner ship on Earth.

Part II starts with the Flood invasion of Earth then moving to the Ark. Ark includes additional missions exploring the derelict and developing the plan to end the Covenant and Flood once and for all.

One more thing. Chief stays asleep in his pod as the gods intended. ;)

Anything pre-Halo.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 15, 2019, 21:33 (1594 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’d love to play their early stuff, but it all feels and looks like shit now, so it’s not worth it.

Anything pre-Halo.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, December 16, 2019, 09:58 (1593 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’d love to play their early stuff, but it all feels and looks like shit now, so it’s not worth it.

I was surprised how replayable the Marathon series was. Yes, the movement was pretty janky, but it still play surprisingly well.

Anything pre-Halo.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 16, 2019, 10:07 (1593 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I was surprised how replayable the Marathon series was. Yes, the movement was pretty janky, but it still play surprisingly well.

Be sure to check out some amazing fan maps and games. My personal favs were always Marathon Evil and Tempus Irae.

Which reminds me, where the heck is the Marathon Hypearchive Northwest now hosted?

Anything pre-Halo.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, December 16, 2019, 11:18 (1593 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Be sure to check out some amazing fan maps and games. My personal favs were always Marathon Evil and Tempus Irae.

Which reminds me, where the heck is the Marathon Hypearchive Northwest now hosted?

I think I've actually played both of those... I went through some of the fan made stuff. I know I recognize both of those names at least!

Don't forget about Aleph One

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, December 16, 2019, 11:35 (1593 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

https://alephone.lhowon.org/

The OSS community has put in a tone of work making marathon run well on modern computers and have added lots of additional features and improvements along the way.

Texas.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, December 16, 2019, 15:59 (1593 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Still part of bungie.org.

http://archives.bungie.org/

Texas.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 11:36 (1592 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Still part of bungie.org.

http://archives.bungie.org/

I wanted to reply with a thumbs up emoji, but there's no emoji support on the forum.

(^_^)b ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 11:57 (1592 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Anything pre-Halo.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 09:05 (1591 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm kind of in the same boat. I only came on board with Halo, so the majority of the non-Destiny Bungie games I'm familiar with already HAVE been remade via the MCC. I guess some of that could be called a refresh/modernization rather than actual remakes, but still.

Marathon 1 & 2

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, December 16, 2019, 09:10 (1593 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can snap your fingers and get two modern remakes of any Bungie developed or published game. Which two, why, and what would you hope for? You can go crazy here: you can even change genre for the remake if you like.

Marathon 1 & 2.

The Halo series I think holds up as they are (either as the originals in compatibility mode, or in their MCC/Anniversary incarnations. No need to touch them right now, if ever.

The Myth series, I feel, also holds up as they are. If players are unaware or uninterested in Myth, I think that's because of things that are inherent to Myth and the particulars of its gameplay (realtime tactics, no resource management). I don't feel, for instance, that Myth would really benefit if you, say, ported it to the same engine that runs, for example, Halo Wars.

The Marathon games are first person shooters, but running on an engine that has significant limitations and differences from what came later. I think a remake of those scenarios in modern engines (rather than just Halo and Destiny which are similar works with similar themes and broadly similar gameplay) would be something of value.

I'd buy that. I would play that.

Marathon 1 & 2

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 16, 2019, 09:14 (1593 days ago) @ narcogen

Marathon 1 & 2.

The Halo series I think holds up as they are (either as the originals in compatibility mode, or in their MCC/Anniversary incarnations. No need to touch them right now, if ever.

The Myth series, I feel, also holds up as they are. If players are unaware or uninterested in Myth, I think that's because of things that are inherent to Myth and the particulars of its gameplay (realtime tactics, no resource management). I don't feel, for instance, that Myth would really benefit if you, say, ported it to the same engine that runs, for example, Halo Wars.

The Marathon games are first person shooters, but running on an engine that has significant limitations and differences from what came later. I think a remake of those scenarios in modern engines (rather than just Halo and Destiny which are similar works with similar themes and broadly similar gameplay) would be something of value.

You sold me. I'd hope if they got started, though, they'd make the entire trilogy.

Marathon 1 & 2

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 16, 2019, 09:21 (1593 days ago) @ narcogen

Marathon 1 & 2.

Maybe they could add the wave motion cannon.

I’ll throw my hand up for Myth I & II

by Burchie, Tuesday, December 17, 2019, 22:52 (1592 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can go crazy here

As great as Marathon and Oni could be, I’ll go with Myth. The narration was an effective story telling device at the time and great for atmosphere, but technology would open up some doors to get a touch more direct story telling in the game. I know this is a contentious issue in a more recent Bungie game right now...

But over and above that I like to think about elements of Myth that would be striking now. While a real-time tactical game wouldn’t translate to VR, seeing Thrall inevitably stumbling closer, Soulless float and hurl spears, the earth pounding and scale as a Trow stomps through the mist. It would be full on (maybe too much).

Myth oozed atmosphere, and that could be great in a remake.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 08:55 (1591 days ago) @ Burchie

You can go crazy here

As great as Marathon and Oni could be, I’ll go with Myth. The narration was an effective story telling device at the time and great for atmosphere, but technology would open up some doors to get a touch more direct story telling in the game. I know this is a contentious issue in a more recent Bungie game right now...

But over and above that I like to think about elements of Myth that would be striking now. While a real-time tactical game wouldn’t translate to VR, seeing Thrall inevitably stumbling closer, Soulless float and hurl spears, the earth pounding and scale as a Trow stomps through the mist. It would be full on (maybe too much).

I wish project Magma weren’t so confusing. Maybe I’ll install an OS 9 emulator and do it that way. But can you do QuickDraw RAVE that way or would you have to play Myth as software only rendering?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 09:02 (1590 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can go crazy here

I wish project Magma weren’t so confusing. Maybe I’ll install an OS 9 emulator and do it that way. But can you do QuickDraw RAVE that way or would you have to play Myth as software only rendering?

What's confusing about Magma?

Running Myth on modern OSes is really dead simple-- there's no need to mess around with emulators.

I think the thing that stops me from wanting a Myth remake is that to me, at least, it stands up as it is in a way that I am not entirely sure Marathon does, compared to other, linear, story-driven FPS games that are more recent.

Although in a pinch I'd take Marathon 1 and Pathways Into Darkness. It's arguable that Marathon 2 stands up the way it is, and Infinity is a separate thing.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 09:59 (1590 days ago) @ narcogen

What's confusing about Magma?

This was a while ago, but getting Myth 1 to run was so hard I gave up.

Did uh...anybody give Deadhold a chance?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:17 (1589 days ago) @ Cody Miller

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, December 23, 2019, 08:13 (1586 days ago) @ Malagate

I actually helped the development team on that test and do feedback. It was a solid game for only having 2ish developers. Simply put, it failed because apart from the Total War games, the Real Time Tactics genre is basically a dead genre these days.

The developers tried to keep everything that was awesome about Myth but spruce it up with more modern mechanics. Double edged sword that was, the hard core Myth community wanted Myth and nothing else so they shit on the game and everyone else didn't know what Myth was and was confused.

I did try to mention it before :D
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=61829

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 23, 2019, 10:22 (1586 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I actually helped the development team on that test and do feedback. It was a solid game for only having 2ish developers. Simply put, it failed because apart from the Total War games, the Real Time Tactics genre is basically a dead genre these days.

I think that's because RTT has morphed into Dota, which is simply more complex a genre.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 08:44 (1591 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you think about which game could benefit the most from a remake, the answer seems clear to me:

Operation Desert Storm.

Remake it as a cross between Call of Duty and Crysis focused on vehicular combat.

I guess my answer would be Desert Storm and Destiny 1 (as an RPG).

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 20:04 (1591 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well of course I hadn't heard of Bungie before Halo, and that's already being remade to death now... ;-) But Oni always seemed interesting to me...and if the Marathon Trilogy got rebooted for a more modern look, like when they were package ported for iOS devices, that might be a good retrospective.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread