Getting back into Destiny (Destiny)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, September 14, 2022, 22:05 (583 days ago)

Apparently all it takes to rekindle that Destiny flame is to visit Claude in Seattle! We took a family trip to Seattle and Claude was kind enough to host us for the visit, which was fantastic on so many levels. Claude and I stayed up late many nights talking nerd stuff, and when I got home, I found that I was really jonesing to get back into Destiny and DBO raids. :)

I’m traveling on a work project for a couple of weeks, but dragged my Series S along and have actually had a chance to play a bit. I finally wrapped up The Witch Queen campaign on Legendary, and ZackDark took me through Preservation, which was a really neat introduction to the raid boss (and now I’m going to start studying those symbols…).

I have to say, The Witch Queen story was pretty cool, but I definitely felt like the transition between campaign and the post-campaign content was still pretty freaking rough. I felt a bit blindsided by how the ‘introduction’ to Immaru played out, and I’m still not completely clear on Rhulk… why is he in the pyramid inside the throne world, and how is he related to the Scorn? (I haven’t played the raid yet, so I’m assuming that will clear things up a little). As of now, I’m just sort of scratching my head and just going along with it like I usually do.

This disconnect, though, is a long-standing issue that Destiny has dealt with since the beginning. I thought that with Forsaken, Bungie was finally getting things together when they tied the campaign into the raid so cleanly and set up Riven as the Big Bad. In contrast, The Witch Queen sort of feels like a slip back to the earlier days… really feels like two separate teams were working on content without talking to one another.

Anyway, I’m enjoying the game. I’m glad that the Void/Solar/Arc 3.0 transition is complete. I’m really glad that they decided to reverse their decision on sunsetting gear. Legendary was fantastic and I want to play all mission content like that in the future (except for that jerk boss with the giant fire mace who kept lag-teleporting around the room… that guy can kiss my shiny metal Ghost). The grind doesn’t seem to be so onerous these days, which is a big plus. And my Guardian SPOKE AGAIN! Huzzah!

My schedule is wonky for the next month-ish, but once things settle down, I’m definitely going to put up some raid LFGs! I’ve missed you! And RIP Coug… that was sad to hear. :(

Getting back into Destiny

by Anna Komnene, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 05:04 (583 days ago) @ Beorn

Thanks for the clan invite!!! And let's do it!!!! (The raid, that is. Maybe even more than one.)

As for Rhulk: Savathun trapped him in her throne world. It's in the lore somewhere. Don't know where. But doing some digging around on r/DestinyLore...

Rhulk's backstory: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyLore/comments/xceo23/comment/io5l9ij/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&conte...

On trapping him: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyLore/comments/taisht/was_rhulk_trapped_or_not/

And here's a Gamespot article about it: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-2-raid-story-explained-what-happens-in-the-witch-queens-vow-of-the-disciple...

I really need to catch-up on Lore…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 13:35 (583 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Part of the problem is that I don’t like to read the in-game lore books until I’ve collected all of the pages … fortunately they at least started giving us the pages in the order they’re supposed to be read. I really need to just give up on the in-game version and read the stuff over at Ishtar Collective. :-P

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 09:02 (583 days ago) @ Beorn

Missed you, Beorn.

Hope to get to raid together before long.

Time for a DBO Podcast?

by squidnh3, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 10:24 (583 days ago) @ Beorn

I'd listen.

Time for a DBO Podcast?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 10:26 (583 days ago) @ squidnh3

I'd listen.

Duncan was just here, too. We could get the whole gang back together.

Time for a DBO Podcast?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 10:30 (583 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'd listen.

Duncan was just here, too. We could get the whole gang back together.

Man, I miss seeing all of you.

Time for a DBO Podcast?

by Anna Komnene, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 10:55 (583 days ago) @ Kermit

You know, this could actually be a good time to revamp everything. Attendance has been down for a while now here. Why not start things up again? Like, I noticed the twitter of DBO is hardly active. Maybe start using that more aggressively, as well as the podcast.

Also!!!! Duncan!!!!

Some other thoughts

by Anna Komnene, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 11:18 (583 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

In addition to everything I stated above, maybe something can be done with the "news" section for this website. Claude, maybe you still have some connections at Bungie? Maybe somebody will be willing to sit down for an interview? Or perhaps DBO can reach out to some prominent Destiny community members?

I have some experience doing interviews for professional news websites, so I'd be willing to do something like this, especially if it's an interview with someone from Bungie.

Some other thoughts

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 11:53 (583 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

No need for that—Cody’s going to publish his book any day now, surely. (:

Some other thoughts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 14:12 (583 days ago) @ cheapLEY

No need for that—Cody’s going to publish his book any day now, surely. (:

Any info post Destiny ain't gonna be in there unless Bungie changes its policy :-p

Some other thoughts

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 12:14 (583 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

In addition to everything I stated above, maybe something can be done with the "news" section for this website. Claude, maybe you still have some connections at Bungie? Maybe somebody will be willing to sit down for an interview? Or perhaps DBO can reach out to some prominent Destiny community members?

I have some experience doing interviews for professional news websites, so I'd be willing to do something like this, especially if it's an interview with someone from Bungie.

Heh. Yeah, well...

I'm pretty much out of connections at Bungie - sad, but mostly true.

And the reason the twitter feed is dead is because the news feed is dead; the Twitter feed IS the news feed. (There was a short time in the early days when Colin was actually tweeting, outside of the automated news posts... but that time is long gone, and nobody's tweeted manually in more than half a decade.)

News posting gets done when one of the people who've asked for access posts something - and when those people run out of time, or interest... the news page goes quiet again. We're, again, long past the time when I had the drive do it myself... and really, I think the days of news-based gaming sites have been over for quite a while. Content is predominantly disseminated via bite-sized chunks (Twitter) or video (Twitch/YouTube/whatever). bungie.org is a dinosaur, and while there's still a small community, I'm under no illusions that this will ever change in any substantial way. (And really, I'm okay with that - when it WAS an audible voice, it ate a significant portion of my waking hours. I don't regret that for a single second - but I also don't want to go back to it.)

Some other thoughts

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 13:45 (583 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Bungie.org is a dinosaur, and while there's still a small community, I'm under no illusions that this will ever change in any substantial way. (And really, I'm okay with that - when it WAS an audible voice, it ate a significant portion of my waking hours. I don't regret that for a single second - but I also don't want to go back to it.)

Fun fact: Fooch and I recently watched a 40-minute video that heavily uses HBO as reference. Your prominence and resourceful use of community-related tools and events were so effective, that the Due diligence-neglecting journalists thought you were Bungie, and that HBO was a direct line from Bungie to the community.

Good stuff!

Also, maybe once Raga comes back with the milk and cigarettes, the front page will be boppin' again.

Some other thoughts

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, September 15, 2022, 14:03 (583 days ago) @ Korny

Good stuff!

Also, maybe once Raga comes back with the milk and cigarettes, the front page will be boppin' again.

I try to keep up with more direct Bungie happenings to post, but my logins were kept on my old work computer. I sent a request to the Claudefather to get them back. I've longed for the old (X)BO glory days for a long time. Count me in for a comeback.

I don’t smoke.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 14:56 (573 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Some other thoughts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 25, 2022, 15:20 (573 days ago) @ Korny

Fun fact: Fooch and I recently watched a 40-minute video that heavily uses HBO as reference. Your prominence and resourceful use of community-related tools and events were so effective, that the Due diligence-neglecting journalists thought you were Bungie, and that HBO was a direct line from Bungie to the community.

Clearly that's why HBO is dead. Folks are confused now that 343 makes Halo.

Change it to halo.343.org, and it'll be right back to its former glory.

Fair enough, fair enough *NM*

by Anna Komnene, Thursday, September 15, 2022, 14:54 (583 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, September 16, 2022, 11:48 (582 days ago) @ Beorn

HEY! It's Beorn Again! :P

Was it something I said? I was justlamenting how the only voices echoing here were that of my own and Cheap, then all suddenly we get Dax01 (returned to *BO as a Byzantine princess), and now Beorn! Returned to us as a super cool not-a-bear... so, well... Beorn! :D YEAH!

So happy to see this. Welcome back.

by Anna Komnene, Friday, September 16, 2022, 12:12 (582 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Was it something I said? I was justlamenting how the only voices echoing here were that of my own and Cheap, then all suddenly we get Dax01 (returned to *BO as a Byzantine princess), and now Beorn! Returned to us as a super cool not-a-bear... so, well... Beorn! :D YEAH!

*Roman, but very good! Did you have to look that up? haha.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 16, 2022, 12:19 (582 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

lol - Wikipedia disagrees with you. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 16, 2022, 13:03 (582 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I hear that Anna Purna makes some pretty cool games.

This is why Wikipedia is bad!

by Anna Komnene, Friday, September 16, 2022, 13:16 (582 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Anna Komnene, Friday, September 16, 2022, 13:50

Because actual historians will tell you that the "Byzantine" empire never really existed. It was just the Roman Empire.

In her Alexiad, Anna made no distinction between the Roman Empire her father ruled and the one that circumscribed the entirety of the Mediterranean. She called it βασιλείᾳ Ῥωμαίων in the original Greek text, or Basileia Romaion, which translates to "Kingdom of the Romans," with 'kingdom' having the same connotations as 'empire.'

The first reference to a "Byzantine Empire" came about 100 years after the collapse of the Roman Empire in 1453. The term "Byzantine," outside its usefulness of referencing a certain era of the Roman state, is actually the result of what can probably be called historical colonialism, whereby Western Europe sought to deny the identity and heritage of a people (something they also did to the inhabitants of the Roman Empire after its western half collapsed).

Anna considered herself Roman. So did her father and the people who lived in the "Byzantine Empire." She was a Roman.

This has been your history lesson for the day.

Neat.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, September 16, 2022, 13:28 (582 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

- No text -

This is why Wikipedia is bad!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 16, 2022, 13:48 (582 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Very cool. Thank you.

Wikipedia can suck but most of the time I think it's pretty good, and I say that a former Britannica salesman.

Hell yeah, this was a top notch well actually

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, September 16, 2022, 14:07 (582 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Because actual historians will tell you that the "Byzantine" empire never really existed. It was just the Roman Empire.

In her Alexiad, Anna made no distinction between the Roman Empire her father ruled and the one that circumscribed the entirety of the Mediterranean. She called it βασιλείᾳ Ῥωμαίων in the original Greek text, or Basileia Romaion, which translates to "Kingdom of the Romans," with 'kingdom' having the same connotations as 'empire.'

The first reference to a "Byzantine Empire" came about 100 years after the collapse of the Roman Empire in 1453. The term "Byzantine," outside its usefulness of referencing a certain era of the Roman state, is actually the result of what can probably be called historical colonialism, whereby Western Europe sought to deny the identity and heritage of a people (something they also did to the inhabitants of the Roman Empire after its western half collapsed).

Anna considered herself Roman. So did her father and the people who lived in the "Byzantine Empire." She was a Roman.

This has been your history lesson for the day.

I love when I learn something here!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, September 16, 2022, 13:27 (582 days ago) @ Claude Errera

lol - Wikipedia disagrees with you. :)

No & Yes. The name was familiar, as I knew I had seen it somewhere. Sometimes in the evenings I like to use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:RandomInCategory just for something to read, and there is always something to read about History, though it can be risky sometimes. 'Cus, uh... History. I'll hit a topic, click back, do it again. Or I'll just go down the rabbit hole. Sometimes I even find a topic that I find interesting enough to look into getting a book for. We have access to a wealth of human knowledge at our fingertips that our forebears could only dream of, so might as well give it a look over right?

See! I just got Francesco Della Valle! Society of Bead Researchers! A Farewell to Arms (poem)!

And I know I'm not remembering all of it, but, it seems at least, I've picked up a data point or two. ;D

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread