bad news @ Bungie (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 30, 2023, 14:18 (181 days ago)

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/30/23938990/bungie-sony-layoffs-delays-destiny-final-shape-marathon

Hate it for those affected, but the way things are going generally, I'm not surprised.

Final Shape delay to June 2024!??! Woah.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 30, 2023, 14:48 (181 days ago) @ Kermit

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/30/23938990/bungie-sony-layoffs-delays-destiny-final-shape-marathon

Hate it for those affected, but the way things are going generally, I'm not surprised.

Other links (feat. Reddit):

From Jason Scheer: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-30/sony-s-bungie-game-unit-cuts-staff-following-delayed-titles

Non-paywall version: https://archive.ph/hu19P

...man alive Halloween came early. :/

Silver Lining Though (abit minor minor): 7 month long season. I dig it.

Oh man, it's a bloodbath.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 30, 2023, 16:33 (181 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Been diggin' into this. Reading comments. All that jazz. Some serious business chicanery appears to have been at play here. Grain of salt on all of this, it's all scuttle-butt.

[image]

Bungie leadership assures employees Sony deal will not result in layoffs, restructuring. Key phrase "sony deal". As in "at close". As in "not immediately". Apparently, part of the contract expired not too long ago, the "statute of limitations", and this allowed the floodgates to open up.

And now... oh wow. Dude, into the holiday season no less.

Yeah.

Rumor is Michael Salvatori has been let go too.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 30, 2023, 18:27 (181 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Rumor is Michael Salvatori has been let go too.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, October 30, 2023, 18:51 (181 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I saw that, it's so big I wanted to wait. It's Confirmed. :(

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 30, 2023, 18:59 (181 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Lorraine McLees (Mehve) got laid off too

by FyreWulff, Monday, October 30, 2023, 19:56 (181 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Holy shit *NM*

by Avateur @, Monday, October 30, 2023, 21:36 (181 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Talk about the end of an era. What a sad time. I feel for every single person going through these layoffs. :(

Holy shit *NM*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 18:52 (179 days ago) @ Avateur

On the bright side, you're not dead.

Hey buddy. :)

Holy shit *NM*

by Avateur @, Thursday, November 02, 2023, 08:19 (179 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Heyyyy, how’s it going? :D

Holy shit *NM*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 02, 2023, 13:37 (178 days ago) @ Avateur

Hai guyz what's going on in this thread?

Holy shit *NM*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, November 05, 2023, 16:03 (175 days ago) @ stabbim

Life is good. Living in Florida working as a social studies teacher.

How's y'all?

Holy shit *NM*

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, November 05, 2023, 19:34 (175 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

How's y'all?

I'm still shooting pictures of Bones.

Holy shit *NM*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, November 07, 2023, 14:24 (173 days ago) @ bluerunner

God's work.

How's the family?

Classic

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 13, 2023, 13:51 (167 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Holy shit *NM*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 06, 2023, 05:18 (175 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm now a little less worried about "kids these days." :)

Let's co-op an old Halo level sometime soon. [Came for the game, stayed for the chat.]

Holy shit *NM*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, November 07, 2023, 14:25 (173 days ago) @ Kermit

That'd be fun. Lately I've been playing Starfield into the ground.

Holy shit *NM*

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, November 09, 2023, 09:19 (171 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Good choice.

me too

by Robot Chickens, Friday, November 10, 2023, 13:57 (170 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Good choice.

Honestly, I haven't been playing a ton of Destiny just because I've been into other games. I actually thought this season was pretty good, but investing all my gaming energy into building ships took over my life.

me too

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, November 14, 2023, 12:03 (166 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Good choice.

Honestly, I haven't been playing a ton of Destiny just because I've been into other games. I actually thought this season was pretty good, but investing all my gaming energy into building ships took over my life.

It's underrated as a relaxation game, just going around scanning planets. Very chill.

me too

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 09:51 (165 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Good choice.

It's underrated as a relaxation game, just going around scanning planets. Very chill.

Try Death Stranding. It's the ultimate chill game, but also itself a masterpiece.

Holy shit *NM*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 13, 2023, 13:51 (167 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Oh damn man, that's a long way. Sounds like work you would love, though. Personally I just got back from 9 days of a family emergency and am hoping to veg out for a bit. Otherwise I generally still do IT work and am trying to get back into woodworking these days.

Ugh.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 01:23 (181 days ago) @ FyreWulff

What really hit me was her recent twitter post about wearing her Marathon shirt for the next ten years.

Biggest blow since Marty's departure for me.

Ugh.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 18:57 (179 days ago) @ Kermit

Yup.

I feel like the second parent's died.

WTF?!?! How do you fire LORRAINE?

by Anna Komnene, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 05:35 (181 days ago) @ FyreWulff

- No text -

Feels like they should just rename the company at that point

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 02, 2023, 13:41 (178 days ago) @ FyreWulff

- No text -

How do you fire the designer of the Pillar of Autumn?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, November 03, 2023, 09:58 (177 days ago) @ FyreWulff

If I recall correctly, she also had a big part in crafting the logos and covers of Oni onwards (among a lot of other work). It blows my mind to think a company would lay off the person who helped create the iconic visuals associated directly with the success of your company's history. Covers and logos are the things you see every time you boot up a game. She was integral to that. The folks in charge likely have to walk by covers framed on their walls of Lorraine's work and think "Yeah, we fired that artist."

How do you fire the designer of the Pillar of Autumn?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 03, 2023, 10:59 (177 days ago) @ Leviathan

If I recall correctly, she also had a big part in crafting the logos and covers of Oni onwards (among a lot of other work). It blows my mind to think a company would lay off the person who helped create the iconic visuals associated directly with the success of your company's history. Covers and logos are the things you see every time you boot up a game. She was integral to that. The folks in charge likely have to walk by covers framed on their walls of Lorraine's work and think "Yeah, we fired that artist."

Pixar laid off Galyn Susman, who is literally responsible for saving Toy Story 2 after some dummy deleted every copy Pixar had. Companies are not loyal. Companies are not your friend.

^^^

by Coaxkez, Friday, November 03, 2023, 12:10 (177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Always remember this.

^^^

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, November 03, 2023, 14:16 (177 days ago) @ Coaxkez

T'was more of a rhetorical question to say they should be ashamed of doing this to a keystone of the company's legacy.

Always remember this.

But, yes, agreed. ;)

Oh man, it's a bloodbath.

by Yapok @, Friday, November 03, 2023, 19:49 (177 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

man...what a week :(

bad news @ Bungie

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 30, 2023, 15:07 (181 days ago) @ Kermit

Sony purchased Bungie last year in a $3.6 million deal that was supposed to see the Destiny developer operate as an independent unit within the company.

Damn. How did they get Bungie for less than 1/6 of what MS paid back in 2000?!

:-p

Mind your b's and p's.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, October 30, 2023, 20:52 (181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

What the hell is a pillion

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 30, 2023, 23:26 (181 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

It's what you give Nathan Fillion when he's sick.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 19:11 (179 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

🏆

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 19:16 (179 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

*slow clap*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 02, 2023, 13:42 (178 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

jeremiahjohnsonnod.gif

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, November 03, 2023, 12:56 (177 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

bad news @ Bungie

by cheapLEY @, Monday, October 30, 2023, 15:14 (181 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, that will surely positively affect the quality of their next release . . .

I have no real affinity for Bungie as a developer anymore, but this still sucks. I've made some shitty hyperbolic statements about the studio in the past, but I don't wish this on anyone.

this fucking sucks

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, October 30, 2023, 17:04 (181 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

bad news @ Bungie

by FyreWulff, Monday, October 30, 2023, 19:42 (181 days ago) @ Kermit

I feel so sad for everyone at Bungie, but finding out they even laid off Lorraine is the one that finally broke me.

bad news @ Bungie

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 07:48 (181 days ago) @ FyreWulff

I feel so sad for everyone at Bungie, but finding out they even laid off Lorraine is the one that finally broke me.

Wait what??? They laid off Mclees? Holy shit

fool me once, fool me twice, fool me thrice

by Robot Chickens, Monday, October 30, 2023, 21:32 (181 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Robot Chickens, Monday, October 30, 2023, 21:38

No blaming MS, Activision or Sony. This rests solely on the shoulders of the top-execs at Bungie.

Such naivety. Every single time Bungie get acquired, they long for independence because parent corporations always push changes they eventually hate. MS was probably their best "parent" in retrospect. I'm just dumbfounded that they spent as much time and effort into becoming independent only to run back into the fold of another entity.

What a bunch of BS for these employees. I wish all the best for each of them as they rebuild their lives and dreams.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 30, 2023, 23:25 (181 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

No blaming MS, Activision or Sony. This rests solely on the shoulders of the top-execs at Bungie.

Such naivety. Every single time Bungie get acquired, they long for independence because parent corporations always push changes they eventually hate. MS was probably their best "parent" in retrospect. I'm just dumbfounded that they spent as much time and effort into becoming independent only to run back into the fold of another entity.

What a bunch of BS for these employees. I wish all the best for each of them as they rebuild their lives and dreams.

When Microsoft bought Bungie, many people were looking to be out of a job. Everyone from publishing for example, would no longer be needed. You know what Alexander Seropian did? As part of the deal, he MADE Microsoft give interviews to all these people for some position somewhere in the company. He made sure everyone at least had a shot at a job.

Good guy Alex.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 04:55 (181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

When Microsoft bought Bungie, many people were looking to be out of a job. Everyone from publishing for example, would no longer be needed. You know what Alexander Seropian did? As part of the deal, he MADE Microsoft give interviews to all these people for some position somewhere in the company. He made sure everyone at least had a shot at a job.

Good guy Alex.

Didn’t this Sony deal include lliterally a billion dollars explicitly for employee retention?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 08:06 (181 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Good guy Alex.

Didn’t this Sony deal include lliterally a billion dollars explicitly for employee retention?

If it did, then they don't know how to spend a billion dollars.

$1.2 Billion

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 09:50 (180 days ago) @ Cody Miller

More info:

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 10:50 (180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The layoff decisions came directly from Bungie management, not Sony. This is not about Sony replacing Bungie employees with their own people.

Many employee benefits (though not health insurance), only last until the end of the month if you're let go. Laying people off on the 30th means a single additional day of coverage.

Many employees had unvested shares as a result of the Sony purchase. These shared would be recieved based on staying with the company for a certain number of years following the sale. But those shares revert to Bungie if you leave, even if you're fired, which is what's happening now to many of those affected.

What a dogshit company. I changed my mind, Claude. There’s literally nothing they could do to get me to reinstall Destiny, not that it was likely anyway.

More info:

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 14:02 (180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That sounds bad, but for me personally, I'm going to wait until it's more than a screenshot, of a blind quote, posted on twitter, by someone who writes for Forbes, before I decide anything.

A LITTLE bit more info.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 16:23 (180 days ago) @ Vortech

Still does not feel like the full picture.

Bloomberg

More info:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 14:51 (180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The layoff decisions came directly from Bungie management, not Sony. This is not about Sony replacing Bungie employees with their own people.

Many employee benefits (though not health insurance), only last until the end of the month if you're let go. Laying people off on the 30th means a single additional day of coverage.

Many employees had unvested shares as a result of the Sony purchase. These shared would be recieved based on staying with the company for a certain number of years following the sale. But those shares revert to Bungie if you leave, even if you're fired, which is what's happening now to many of those affected.

What a dogshit company. I changed my mind, Claude. There’s literally nothing they could do to get me to reinstall Destiny, not that it was likely anyway.

So… the management is basically stealing from the employees, but in a way that's perfectly legal. Wow. Cool and normal.

More info:

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 15:27 (180 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So… the management is basically stealing from the employees, but in a way that's perfectly legal. Wow. Cool and normal.

It’s not cool, but it is actually totally normal. Welcome to capitalism, where everything’s made up and you can get fucked!

More info:

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 16:31 (180 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This sucks, and I'm not approving that people got laid off, but firing someone is not stealing from them. Words have meanings. Stock grants are a part of compensation and they only vest if you are employed on the vesting date. Like like your paycheck only comes if you are still an employee.

More info:

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 20:03 (180 days ago) @ Vortech
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 20:43

This sucks, and I'm not approving that people got laid off, but firing someone is not stealing from them. Words have meanings. Stock grants are a part of compensation and they only vest if you are employed on the vesting date. Like like your paycheck only comes if you are still an employee.

I've been in the tech industry for nearly 25 years, working for a company that has a reputation for caring about its employees. I think it's a crapshoot whether I make it to my 25th anniversary given the atmosphere and the way things are changing now. At root, my company has cared for its employees because it could afford to, and it could afford to because its business model worked (being private helped). If the model stops working, that will change. I don't believe everything I read on the internet, but it appears that Bungie's revenue is down 45%, and what can't continue won't. I'm not defending how they've done these layoffs or the decision to layoff particular individuals, but there's too much I don't know to make grand pronouncements about who the bad guys are here. I'm sure there are pressures being borne that we know nothing about. I'll let ex-Bungie employees speak to their experience, and I'm sure there are legitimate complaints--there certainly have been in the past.

Ultimately, though, I don't take these massive games for granted. I still marvel at their existence, and my mind boggles at what they cost in terms of manpower. I'm also aware that they can't exist if there isn't a market that supports their existence. One more thing: Michael Salvatori is a class act--a true mensch.

More info:

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 22:05 (180 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't believe everything I read on the internet, but it appears that Bungie's revenue is down 45%, and what can't continue won't.

The rumor isn't that revenue is down 45%, it's that it missed forecast by 45%. Which optically may be better or worse depending on how you're squinting.

More info:

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 03:35 (180 days ago) @ uberfoop

I don't believe everything I read on the internet, but it appears that Bungie's revenue is down 45%, and what can't continue won't.

The rumor isn't that revenue is down 45%, it's that it missed forecast by 45%. Which optically may be better or worse depending on how you're squinting.

Fair point, I guess. I wouldn’t want the job of projecting revenue for game or movie studios. Frankly, on November 1st, 2023, projecting anything is fraught. Not trying to be negative. I hope my dread is misplaced.

More info:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 22:16 (180 days ago) @ Vortech

This sucks, and I'm not approving that people got laid off, but firing someone is not stealing from them.

Nobody is being fired for cause. That's the difference. They are literally decimating the company roster to save money.

Let's say you qualify for a pension in a month, and oops you're laid off so now you don't get one. I'd say the company stole that from you.

More info:

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 23:11 (180 days ago) @ Vortech
edited by uberfoop, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 23:20

Like like your paycheck only comes if you are still an employee.

No, that's a very strong counterexample to the issue of vested versus unvested benefits. If someone leaves a company in the middle of a pay cycle, the company would have a pretty hard time using the "they don't work here anymore" defense when explaining why they haven't paid for hours worked prior to the termination of employment.

Vesting is a weird thing, it's done under the pretense of rewarding loyalty, but can be broken for other reasons.

More info:

by Coaxkez, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 07:41 (180 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Coaxkez, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 07:46

So let me get this straight.

Bungie, of its own accord, elected to lay off 100 employees including tenured Grizzled Ancients like Lorraine McLees and Michael Salvatori?

A'ight. I feel very comfortable in saying this now: How is Pete Parsons still in charge over there?!

Good guy Alex

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 11:20 (180 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ordering human relationships into corporations, boards, governments, cooperatives, etc allow us to do things to each other that we would never do outside of those organizations. They have a way of allowing us to justify organizational goals over the well-being of those around us.

It is possible for organizations to buck this tendency, but the pull and momentum will almost always value organizational outcomes over individual outcomes. If a sacrifice is to be made, the organization will put it on the individual. This problem gets exacerbated by scale.

I don't have good answers, but finding humanity in this landscape is rare. Good on Alex for fighting the tide.

bad news @ Bungie

by Captain Spark @, Oregon, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 08:11 (181 days ago) @ Kermit

Maybe they can all get hired at 343 Industries and revive Halo!

Is there a list of the fallen?

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 08:54 (181 days ago) @ Kermit

Can't believe Lorraine and Mike Salvatori were let go. Are any of the prominent names left from back in the day? JonnyOThan left a while back it seems, I wonder who's still there.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 13:04 (180 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

JonnyOThan left a while back it seems, I wonder who's still there.

He left in 2021.

With Lorraine gone, the Bungie of old is officially dead, right? Is there anyone else from those early days still there?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 13:27 (180 days ago) @ bluerunner

He left in 2021.

With Lorraine gone, the Bungie of old is officially dead, right? Is there anyone else from those early days still there?

Robt is back (working on Marathon). I don't know whether he was part of the layoffs, though.

Chucky is still there. So is Jason.

by Anna Komnene, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 14:43 (180 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Luke Timmins, Lars Bakken, the Chrises Butcher and Barrett, Tyson Green, Tom Gioconda, Mat Noguchi, and Shei Kai Wang are all still there as far as I'm aware.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 14:54 (179 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Tyson Green

He even stopped by HBO recently which was pretty cool.

For the remaining Bungie employees…

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 20:56 (179 days ago) @ Anna Komnene

Luke Timmins, Lars Bakken, the Chrises Butcher and Barrett, Tyson Green, Tom Gioconda, Mat Noguchi, and Shei Kai Wang are all still there as far as I'm aware.

The stakes have never been higher.

If you think Bungie laying off 100 Destiny devs was bad, we’re just getting started.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 14:55 (180 days ago) @ bluerunner

He left in 2021.

With Lorraine gone, the Bungie of old is officially dead, right?

No, that happened sometime between 2014 and 2018 depending on how you define it.

I hate to do this, but I've got to be negative for a second.

by Coaxkez, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 08:11 (180 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Coaxkez, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 09:04

Alright, so Marathon is clearly the Next Big Thing (TM) for Bungie. It is receiving the lion's share of the company's attention and resources internally and is being funded by the revenue stream from Destiny 2. That revenue stream is now failing to meet expectations, which is threatening the future growth potential of the entire company, so something has to change. I get that. Needless to say, I do not agree with Bungie's decision here at all, but I do recognize that they felt compelled to do something drastic to secure their revenue stream.

But let's take a step back here. I was quite negative on Marathon back when it was announced and my position today has not changed. I mean, just think about what the project represents. Bungie has spent over a decade fine-tuning one of the most miserable PvP experiences in modern gaming -- by almost every single metric -- and their Hail Mary move is to take that "expertise" to a PvP-exclusive title and double down on games-as-a-service? That's the play to secure the future of the company?

Really?!

It's not that I oppose PvP-centric games on principle or that I am necessarily against games-as-a-service. (It's often designed exploitatively, but it can work with smart designers at the helm.) It's just that I am not convinced by Bungie's strategy at all. How can you possibly think of going PvP-exclusive when your current PvP model is complete ass?! They can’t even get matchmaking right.

So yes, I recognize that these layoffs represent a strategic move to bolster Marathon's development cycle as much as possible (arguably), since that is where the company has chosen to place the lion's share of its hopes for the future... but I question the entire strategy here. This really does not feel like a good direction for the company overall.

Anyway, forget about all of that. The mere fact that Bungie just fired 8% of their entire staff is objectively shitty. I feel horribly for all of the people who have been impacted by this management decision. Ideally, layoffs are something that no company should ever consider unless they've been backed into a corner without a viable alternative. With that in mind, should we be worried about the future of Bungie?

I hate being so negative. I would really, really love to offer something positive here. Bungie is a great developer with a long track record of delivering world-class titles to the industry. They shaped my adolescence and informed my love of video games more than any other single developer. I want Marathon to prove me wrong and succeed beyond anyone's wildest dreams, both creatively and monetarily, as a new world-class title in the storied Bungie canon.

I just struggle to see any trace of the company that actually built that canon anymore.

Good post.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 09:06 (180 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Alright, so Marathon is clearly the Next Big Thing (TM) for Bungie. It is receiving the lion's share of the company's attention and resources internally and is being funded by the revenue stream from Destiny 2. That revenue stream is now failing to meet expectations, which is threatening the future growth potential of the entire company, so something has to change. I get that. I was quite negative on Marathon back when it was announced and my position today has not changed. I mean, just take a step back here. Bungie has spent over a decade fine-tuning one of the most miserable PvP experiences in modern gaming -- by almost every single metric -- and their Hail Mary move is to take that "expertise" to a PvP-exclusive title and double down on games-as-a-service? That's the play to secure the future of the company?

Really?!

It's not that I oppose PvP-centric games on principle or that I am necessarily against games-as-a-service. (It's often designed exploitatively, but it can work with smart designers at the helm.) It's just that I am not convinced by Bungie's strategy at all. How can you possibly think of going PvP-exclusive when your current PvP model is complete ass?! They can’t even get matchmaking right.

So yes, I recognize that these layoffs represent a strategic move to bolster Marathon's development cycle as much as possible (arguably), since that is where the company has chosen to place the lion's share of its hopes for the future... but I question the entire strategy here. This really does not feel like a good direction for the company overall.

I hate being so negative. I would really, really love to offer something positive here. Bungie is a great developer with a long track record of delivering world-class titles to the industry. They shaped my adolescence and informed my love of video games more than any other single developer. I want Marathon to prove me wrong and succeed beyond anyone's wildest dreams, both creatively and monetarily, as a new world-class title in the storied Bungie canon.

I just struggle to see any trace of the company that actually built that canon anymore.

On the other hand, they (or some past form of "they") did kind of invent Xbox Live PVP. I seriously doubt a PVP-only game-as-a-service will be a thing for me, but I hope they know what they're doing. I wish them well.

Good post.

by Coaxkez, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 09:59 (179 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Coaxkez, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 10:04

I just don't see it. I mean, I hope you're right, but to me it seems that the version of Bungie which collaborated on Xbox Live is long dead.

I don't want to be a complete Negative Nancy, though. There are still a lot of very talented developers working at Bungie and the studio has a number of clear strengths. Gunplay and sandbox design remain Destiny's core assets, and the PvE content is still very enjoyable and well-designed overall (in my personal opinion, natch -- and with particular emphasis on the word "overall"), but frankly the PvP sucks and has been completely neglected by Bungie for years at this point. With that in mind, my optimism for Marathon is non-existent. It represents a complete 180 from the direction I would personally like to see Bungie explore.

Good post.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 12:25 (179 days ago) @ Coaxkez

With that in mind, my optimism for Marathon is non-existent. It represents a complete 180 from the direction I would personally like to see Bungie explore.

Plus, things move pretty quickly these days with regards to multiplayer games. I wonder… will people still even WANT to play extraction shooters in 2025?

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 10:51 (179 days ago) @ Coaxkez

The one thing I'll say in their defense regarding Destiny's PvP is that I believe the root of their struggles lies in the large array of weapons needing to be balanced across both PvE and PvP. Remove PvE from the equation (or in the event that Marathon has some PvE elements, at least design weapons PvP-first) and I believe there is a much higher likelihood of being able to craft a good PvP experience.

by Coaxkez, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 11:04 (179 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

The simple solution to that problem is to divorce PvP weapon balancing from PvE weapon balancing. They've had almost ten years now to come to that realization.

Powers

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 17:29 (179 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

The one thing I'll say in their defense regarding Destiny's PvP is that I believe the root of their struggles lies in the large array of weapons needing to be balanced across both PvE and PvP.

I think weapon balancing is part of the issue, but to me, the bigger problem is the power creep of player abilities. The Destiny 2 sandbox just keeps getting more complicated and player abilities are kind of bonkers right now. To the point where the game just hasn't been fun for me in a very long time. :-\

My one hope for Marathon is that it's an opportunity to have a clean slate and that maybe their minimalist approach to the game's visuals will be echoed in the game's mechanics.

Powers

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 18:24 (179 days ago) @ Beorn

My one hope for Marathon is that it's an opportunity to have a clean slate and that maybe their minimalist approach to the game's visuals will be echoed in the game's mechanics.

You're hopeful that the free to play extraction shooter whose calling card is infinite customization is going to have a minimalist approach to the sandbox? You been smoking some of that devil's lettuce? A little of the Haitian oregano?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 12:23 (179 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Alright, so Marathon is clearly the Next Big Thing (TM) for Bungie. It is receiving the lion's share of the company's attention and resources internally and is being funded by the revenue stream from Destiny 2. That revenue stream is now failing to meet expectations, which is threatening the future growth potential of the entire company, so something has to change.

This is something Bungie has never been able to figure out. All through their history up until recently, they have basically been a one game studio. Attempts to go multi-game were always failures. If the Oni team had not gone to Halo, then Halo would never have materialized. Alex himself had to fly to San Jose and help the Oni team out by placing lights and objects in the map editors. It was a skin of their teeth situation.

Phoenix was killed. Gypsum was killed. All because the main games needed the attention.

Bungie has never really figured out how to be a multi-game studio. And now, they are trying to do THREE. Destiny, Marathon, Matter, and maybe other things too.

I feel like all through Bungie's history, they've always been on the razor's edge. They've pulled it off, but usually it's down to the wire. Most of the people there who could pull it out are gone.

I'm going to check back in six months. If things are still shitty and dire, THEN we can talk about the end of Bungie. But, maybe they'll do what they've always managed to do, and land the plane that's on fire.

Second look at 343 Industries?

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 14:15 (179 days ago) @ Coaxkez

What if they were the rightful inheritors of Old Bungie's mantle this whole time?

That would require a certain bar of quality.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 15:02 (179 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Let’s not get crazy here.

by Coaxkez, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 16:04 (179 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Maybe? I'm loving the latest season

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 16:51 (179 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

by squidnh3, Friday, November 03, 2023, 08:19 (178 days ago) @ Coaxkez

But let's take a step back here. I was quite negative on Marathon back when it was announced and my position today has not changed. I mean, just think about what the project represents. Bungie has spent over a decade fine-tuning one of the most miserable PvP experiences in modern gaming -- by almost every single metric -- and their Hail Mary move is to take that "expertise" to a PvP-exclusive title and double down on games-as-a-service? That's the play to secure the future of the company?

Really?!

I definitely don't agree with this sentiment. Without PvP I would likely have moved on from Destiny a long time ago. As far as I'm concerned PvP kept this game alive through quite a few content droughts, and has been very playable with a few notable time period exceptions when certain abilities or weapons veered into the "silly" zone rather than just very powerful. I will agree that Bungie's "adjustments" are just as likely to make things worse as they are to improve them.

If you want replayability, there's no substitute for playing against other humans. PvE requires a large, constant effort to keep generating the 'E'. With PvP, you've just got to get the sandbox right (with the caveat that you've got to get it right pretty much right off the bat, so there are enough 'P's to make it all work). Then you can add maps or matchmaking adjustments or whatever to keep it fresh. What is seems to have cost them to maintain a GaS PvE for the past few years is "everything", so you can see the attraction of a PvP version.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 06, 2023, 05:52 (175 days ago) @ squidnh3

Really?!

I definitely don't agree with this sentiment. Without PvP I would likely have moved on from Destiny a long time ago. As far as I'm concerned PvP kept this game alive through quite a few content droughts, and has been very playable with a few notable time period exceptions when certain abilities or weapons veered into the "silly" zone rather than just very powerful. I will agree that Bungie's "adjustments" are just as likely to make things worse as they are to improve them.

If you want replayability, there's no substitute for playing against other humans. PvE requires a large, constant effort to keep generating the 'E'. With PvP, you've just got to get the sandbox right (with the caveat that you've got to get it right pretty much right off the bat, so there are enough 'P's to make it all work). Then you can add maps or matchmaking adjustments or whatever to keep it fresh. What is seems to have cost them to maintain a GaS PvE for the past few years is "everything", so you can see the attraction of a PvP version.

PVP is fun for me when I play it. I'm not very competitive, but I do okay. You get to a certain level, though, and the weaknesses become more important, I'm sure. Thanks for the counterpoint.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 06, 2023, 08:06 (175 days ago) @ squidnh3

I remember how Halo's PvP was designed as a party game essentially. I feel like that contributed the most to its success - the game was pick up and play and you could have fun just messing around with your friends, but you could also git gud if you wanted to. That's why I think a lot of people stuck around!

I feel like Destiny got that PvP party mode thing right from the start. And it was a blast! But it seems like as time went on, a lot of the party stuff got toned down. Dropping heavy ammo, supers, special ammo etc. One could say that it became more 'balanced' as time went on, but it became a little more… boring as a result.

Remember when Destiny PvP had vehicles? :-p

why would you hurt me this way

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 06, 2023, 10:07 (174 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Remember when Destiny PvP had vehicles? :-p

I do, I do

Loved "First Light"

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 06, 2023, 12:51 (174 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

The new Vex map had Sparrows again ;)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 07, 2023, 13:44 (173 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Not the first time they've gotten rid of key people

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 03, 2023, 14:35 (177 days ago) @ Kermit

The info is accurate as far as I can tell.

Not the first time they've ... (Full Quote)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, November 03, 2023, 16:18 (177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's crazy how Bungie laid off Mike Salvatori, who's been with them for over 25 years. This industry is blind. They don't care about retaining top talent and think they're expendable. It's disgusting.

I'm going to reveal something all journalists and fans should know...

It's widely believed that a lot of the original Bungie team had willingly left Bungie, but the truth is that Bungie executives had actually made decisions that led to the firing of Marcus Lehto, Jaime Griesemer, Paul Bertone, Joe Staten, and many others. None of them were officially fired. They accepted separation agreements rather than being fired, except Marcus, who simply got fed up and resigned.

A few months ago I said I'll be telling everyone some untold Bungie/Microsoft history. I've been told I'm not allowed to tell it yet for reasons I can't say, but here's something I'll share now. This all comes directly from my friends at MS or those who once worked for MS.

After Microsoft acquired Bungie in 2001, Harold Ryan (MS Test) and Pete Parsons (MS Marketing, now CEO of Bungie) were introduced to the Bungie team to help Bungie with Halo: Combat Evolved.

Sometime in 2003 during the development of Halo 2, Bungie felt their profit share of Halo was insufficient and thought of leaving MS and start a new company (go pirate). Bungie then convinced Pete (who became Studio Manager in 2002) to help them begin negotiations with MS about changing their deal. MS agreed to share but told them that it'll take time to work out the details and requested that they continue making Halo 2.

Bungie could sense bad things were going on behind the scenes, since their biggest ally at MS, @Ed_Fries (founder of Microsoft Game Studios and who made the Bungie acquisition) suddenly resigns.

Bungie agreed to get 11% of the profits of Halo 2 for the studio. In 2004, Bungie ship Halo 2 and MS tells them they get 11% of the first few million in profits and then the more money MS makes, the more the percentage to Bungie drops to 2%.

On the day Bungie ship Halo 2, they blow through the 11% and by the end of that day they're only at 2% from then on. At that point they decide to leave MS and start negotiating to become independent. Either MS makes a deal or Bungie goes pirate. There were 7 members of the Bungie team who led the charge to leave and speak with MS brass, who at that time was @Robbie_Bach.

Pete Parsons was the intermediary. He talked with Bungie, takes what they want to MS, then returns to inform them of what MS said. This went on for several months. Eventually, both Jason Jones and Marcus Lehto became frustrated and threatened to resign. Pete informed them that he told MS that he too will resign if MS don’t budge.

Bungie then hold a group meeting. It is asked that anyone who threatened to quit should leave the room. Those left in the room decide what they want to do. There were five people in the room (I won't mention their names at this time). At this point, it was suggested that all decisions should be unanimous.

They ask Marcus what they would need to do to get him to stay, to which he comes to an agreement. They do the same for Jason. Then the whole group is asked if they should do the same for Pete — it's not unanimous. Many of them believed that Pete had been double-dealing — playing both sides and not being entirely honest with either.

Bungie say goodbye to Pete and thank him for resigning. They believe that his resignation will get the attention of MS.

Bungie decide that Harold Ryan will run the business side and Marty O'Donnell will oversee the people side. Bungie then hire Don Leeds to be their negotiator. He becomes their strategist in dealing with MS, which at this point is Shane Kim. Bungie basically says, "MS give us Bungie and we'll give MS Halo 3."

It takes more than a couple of years until Bungie make the deal, and on 07/07/07 they get their official independence. Shane is there to offer positions at 343 for anyone who would rather stay safe in the arms of MS.

It was at this point that Bungie found out Pete Parsons didn't resign from MS but was simply given a different executive position; he had deceived them.

This is all I can share for now, and this begins another long part of the saga, one in which Bungie loses the aforementioned employees and many others.

The main reason Bungie changed was because of Harold Ryan and Pete Parsons. These two pretty much ruined Bungie. Someone at 343 Industries had also been bad-mouthing the Bungie team and saying they're difficult to work with. I'll let you figure out who that person was.

Interesting

by Coaxkez, Friday, November 03, 2023, 19:58 (177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You’ve previously referenced the fact that Bungie had to go to extraordinary lengths in order to retain Jason Jones. This tweet does seem to corroborate that claim.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 03, 2023, 20:10 (177 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Who is this person? Like, this could just be elaborate fan fiction. It certainly seems believable enough, but that doesn’t actually mean it’s true.

Also, from any legitimate reporting I’ve heard, Bungie was difficult to work with—that’s not just a lie someone at 343 had to make up.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 04, 2023, 01:01 (177 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Who is this person? Like, this could just be elaborate fan fiction. It certainly seems believable enough, but that doesn’t actually mean it’s true.

Multiple people I've spoken to have recounted these same series of events, and the tweet is entirely consistent with their stories.

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, November 04, 2023, 11:59 (176 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Multiple people I've spoken to have recounted these same series of events, and the tweet is entirely consistent with their stories.

I can also say that I've been told parts of what is recounted in this tweet by reliable sources. Couldn't say for sure whether it's falsehoods scattered amongst truths, but I'm inclined to believe it.

bad news @ Bungie

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, November 04, 2023, 10:16 (176 days ago) @ Kermit

FULL TL;DR in Video Form, then... keep reading anyway, I guess.

*Sigh*

Some week to be a Bungie fan, eh? And for we, the grizzled and disembodied, it certainly does seem something living a theme, a Shakespeare play, now without any benefit of music or visual soliloquy.

[image]

Some week to be a Bungie fan.

Once it was clear that there was yet-so-many a moving part to come on out, and that everyone was just going to react to the moving parts ah-la our modern internet, I split from posting for a bit. Better to scribble down these thoughts once the dust had settled to some amount. Climb on out of my bunker once this shitnadeo had moved along its merry way.

And what do I see?

Ho-ly shit. As in, jee-zuss! That's a lot of shit. And it isn't just the smell that's breath taking.

So, right... where do I even start with this? I suppose it would be best to start with the freshest stank, one where, apparently, Harold Ryan and Pete Parsons are honorable men. And while this certainly would answer a number of questions, the ever increasing malleability of these digital shores requires pause. A story of conspiracy without weight of law is just another story of ambitious men... at our distance. Were things more direct, than perhaps there is a say. A warning to be heeded. But there are so many things demanding attention, what else can we do but weep, and write.

...and learn from such stories.

And now, with a technical answer given of 8% a studio out, there are now many many stories. But in them too, there is the same problem. With all the noise, what does one make a call on? Actions. The state change, the physical manifestation of what is now right now, provided we are even allowed to have that sense left. So... how about some old truths? Long known, long proven, long true until such prospects and ideas are dust among with us all.

There is power in names. In branding. Any competent marketeer worth consideration would know this, as indeed many a king of old well knew. You'll have to forgive some subtleties as I come to bring a point; Which hits more? The Leper King or Baldwin IV? The Lionheart or Richard I? If I say Charles I, does that have any meaning if you've not studied this branch of history? 'Cause, let me tell ya, you really didn't want to be a head of the country when he was king, boy howdy! The names require context, but the BRAND? That often is the first catch, the first known. Great, Conqueror, Cruel... these are reputations etched so deeply into a name that they echo in history.

So what does "Bungie" mean now?

THERE IS POWER IN NAMES! And IT CAN NOT JUST BE BOUGHT! It is invested, earned, and grown. And the taller that tree, the worse should it be felled.

"X" as a company name has no real exacting meaning in "what it is", but "twitter" does. Those differences are being earned every day, pustule at a time. "Unity Engine" was known for its promise in how it was different, until it's dumb ass admin shattered it to 1000 pieces, and now... oops-a-daisy! Backsies! ... BUT THERE IS NO GOING BACK ONCE TRUST IS LOST! YOU CAN NOT DRINK FROM A BROKEN GLASS! And now... for we Bungie fans old and older, admin has cut its own eyes and ears. Is it the same ship? Can it be? DOES IT EVEN MATTER! If EVERYONE on the ship says there are are rocks straight ahead, and the ships captain orders dead head and scuttles the ship, should such a fool still hold such a title?

What was that line from Game of Thrones? ...Madness. Madness and Stupidity. Saving pennies for the cost of dollars. There is more to VALUE than can be perceived in some excel spreadsheet! Experience. Reputation. A collective and well built team with qualities unlike each themselves alone, a emergent value of ones own creators are of great worth! Now plucked! Halved with such coldness! A chilling frost yet again made by honorable men.

Yet, the thing in all of this which has TRULY dazzled me, and yes I've read the news written by Jason Schreier & Paul Tassi, respectively, which has more than shocked me than the 45% number or even the speechlessness in the new building Bungie apparently builds when they have been pushing so openly Remote Work, is... the apparent order of operations in how all this went down. For myself, who has seen the marvel and power of well greased and orchestrated team work, who understands, it seems in practice, such responsibilities with care, it flabbergasts me to no end.

This was something announced to employees two weeks prior to the Oct. 30 layoffs by management. Weak player retention and annual revenue massively missing projections were marked as the culprit alongside “good but not great” feedback the expansion was receiving internally. While this doesn’t initially link the layoffs in with the delay of the expansion, the delay is what has resulted in the studio transitioning into a cost-saving stance.

Initially, Bungie CEO Pete Parsons reportedly told staff they would be cutting costs and implementing salary and hiring freezes, but now layoffs appear to have become part of the studio’s recovery strategy as well.

When these conversations were happening, folks were willing to double down. They cared. They wanted to do the work which need be done for the fans, which as a fan... I do appreciate. For whatever it's worth in all of this, thank you. The SPARKS for creative fire were there. You have teams and teams of willing, highly experienced and knowledgeable staff ready to double down... and what do they do?

While Bungie is far from the first company to execute cold, mass layoffs, this all sounds more like something out of an investment bank, rather than a company that was supposed to be the tight-knit family. Indeed many of the employees did feel like family to each other, which is why losing 1 out of 10 friends overnight is so hard on those who remain. But the way this was all done is a massive source of anger within the company, and the reason so many are willing to talk about what happened and exactly what’s going on over there.

Employees are extremely angry with leadership now, and have often communicated that publicly in meetings. Bets were made that did not pay off, but those who made them remain in the company, a fact lost on no one.

They poisoned the watering hole. They cut off "limbs" of teams, and have the audacity, the absolute temerity to say, ok, back to work? ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR FUCKING SKULLS! HOLY SHIT! I THINK I KNOW WHERE SUNSETTING CAME FROM!

Twice the work, and half the crew, and NONE OF THE MORALE! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG! Fuck, are they going to starve them too? It's just too stupid to have to, yet again, behold, in what has been ever building a decade of too stupid to have to, yet again, behold.

So now, there is but one more question, of Bungie's Destiny, what will its Final Shape be? Heh. Bare with me. My heart is shattered here with the Bungie Devs. And I must pause till some of it come back to me.

*Sigh*

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread