Hard pass. (Gaming)

by Coaxkez, Friday, May 26, 2023, 18:17 (329 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Coaxkez, Friday, May 26, 2023, 18:37

I never thought I’d see the day when a brand-new installment in the Marathon series, especially one supported by Bungie’s best designers and a AAA budget along with the backing of a major publisher, would turn me off so quickly and completely. I like the premise and think there could definitely be some interesting story material here. I’m sure the core gameplay itself will be a ton of fun. I think the art style is… intriguing… okay, I’m not gonna lie, virtually nothing about it said “Marathon” to me upon first viewing, but I certainly don’t hate it! They’re very clear about wanting to do something new and I can definitely embrace “new”. There’s certainly a lot of promise within this concept.

But the one-two punch of the PvP-only and games-as-a-service bullet points mean that it will be completely D.O.A. for me. I’m sad to say it, but it’s the truth. I do sincerely hope the game finds an audience, but I won’t be in that number. I simply do not possess the interest, the time, the patience, or the money to deal with the “second job” of yet another FOMO hamster wheel games-as-a-service mind game — especially when it’s limited to PvP-only, which does not interest me at all.

I try to avoid sustained negativity whenever possible, so with that out of the way, I do not plan to offer any further comment on this game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread