Thoughts, predictions and palate-cleansing (Destiny)

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 11:24 (3652 days ago)

1. I think people need to show Reconcilliation a little more goddamned respect. The man's a legend. He's practically a member of TSD. Posts like this are embarrassing.

2. I've got some predictions of my own

E3
Bungie booth
"A-and h-here we'll show you the m-magnum"
Person playing the game shoots a Level 1 enemy
The enemy is incinerated, the smoke spells "Presented by Activision"
Crowd murmurs, the player's mom is the only one clapping
"How is this any different than Borderlands?" asks one crowd member
A Dorito chip flies across the room at high velocity and lodges itself in the man's jugular
He dies
A bell rings
All Bungie employees in the booth drink from the bottles of Mountain Dew hung around their neck
One employee panics -- he left his in the bathroom
"N-no, please, Activision, I have a fam-"
Dorito chip to the jugular
IGN gives his death 9.5/10 - it was okay
A loud crash is heard across the room in the 343i booth
Frankie just made his own entrance into the building driving a Warthog
He's already wearing sunglasses but puts on another pair
A crowd gathers
Frankie surveys the room
"I hope you're all ready to not finish the fight"
One person who gets it screams
Low-level pyrotechnics explode behind Frankie and spell out "H2AV"
Crowd goes wild
Frankie, obviously drunk, starts tearing up the adjacent cutout of Sarah Palmer in between extremely suggestive gestures involving his hands and mouth
Crowd goes even wilder
"And now I'd like to welcome our newest employee at 343 to help with this... urp... game"
Crowd hype is now reaching critical levels -- the California national guard is mobilized
"MORTY O'CONNELL"
Rock Anthem for Saving the World plays, Marty saunters on stage
The crowd is now so excited their vibrations are beginning to heat up the room
Another Dorito chip is launched at Marty's neck
Marty catches it between his fingers
"Nice try, Kotick. But they told me when I took this job I'd have to... B sharp."
Audience is now a glowing white mass of plasma
The convention center is vaporized

3. This probably got linked in Xenos's megathread, but I wanted to highlight it here. It got passed around IRC last night and the reception was very positive.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/12/13/designing-the-rpg-elements-of-destiny.aspx

ferrex has always given some of the best talks/interviews, and this one is no exception. Him talking for four minutes in this video has done more to hype me for Destiny than any amount of gameplay footage, screenshots, concept art, and glowing non-specific praise from employees about how awesome Destiny will be.

Hearing him compare and contrast Destiny with other games and hearing his praises/critiques of them is insanely refreshing. He oozes knowledge and insight. One of the best ways to distinguish yourself from Borderlands is to talk about what you feel Borderlands did poorly.

"!!! Oh my God, you're actually going to play a AAA game and fail a lot!" - this quote makes me feel warm and fuzzy

Thoughts, predictions and palate-cleansing

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 11:41 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/12/13/designing-the-rpg-elements-of-destiny.aspx

ferrex has always given some of the best talks/interviews, and this one is no exception. Him talking for four minutes in this video has done more to hype me for Destiny than any amount of gameplay footage, screenshots, concept art, and glowing non-specific praise from employees about how awesome Destiny will be.

Yeah Gameinformer has done the best coverage of this batch in my opinion. Lots of information others don't talk about as well as actual opinions more than just describing what's happening. This and gamereactor definitely hyped me more for Destiny.

"Prediction" #2 - Brilliant, would read again.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 12:04 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

You've won my 34th annual Post of the Month award.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 12:47 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

I read it again. Still brilliant. XD

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 12:53 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

"Schooly" spelled with one "L" (really)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 12:59 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

"Kermit" spelled with no "Q"

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 13:04 (3652 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

"Snipe" spelled with no "Ъ"

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 13:24 (3652 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

- No text -

I read, I laughed, I laughed some more.

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 13:36 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

That Tyson video

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 14:06 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

I had somehow missed that Tyson video.
You're right, that's some of the more exciting discussions of (one of) their design philosophies, I really enjoyed that.
How Destiny will challenge us is of great interest to me.

[I enjoyed the rest of your post too :P]

Just so we're all clear...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 14:43 (3652 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I had somehow missed that Tyson video.

That Tyson video is a few months old. It was part of their December content flood - I'm not saying you DIDN'T miss it, I'm just making sure nobody thinks it came from this week. :)

Wow, I REALLY missed that one.

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 18:12 (3652 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Totally agree about the ferrex interview

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 18:30 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

I rewatched it just now. Piqued my interest more than anything released this week.

Pro posting

by tarehart, Seattle, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 21:18 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

I know why that vid is so good.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 21:34 (3652 days ago) @ Schooly D

Its because - its not full of bullshit. It isn't clever wordplay. It isn't half answered filler. Its a human talking about what they love with examples to boot.

Its like... Oh - Now I understand.

How did we all* miss this? That was great. Its been out for a freakin' four months. >_<

(*?)

I know why that vid is so good.

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 21:41 (3652 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

How did we all* miss this? That was great. Its been out for a freakin' four months. >_<

(*?)

Miss it?

Xenos didn't.

Claude didn't.

(Cody Miller and INSANEdrive didn't.)

;P

(To be fair, I also forgot about that interview with Tyson. Great vid, even without the boonie hat.)

Huh

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, May 01, 2014, 05:49 (3651 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I must have seen the video and felt differently then, because I definitely remember that forum thread.

Huh

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 01, 2014, 06:17 (3651 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

I think it's the contrast with what we've seen this week. The Bungie employees have done fine in the interviews, but they are frequently responding to high-level and softball questions (including some very basic questions from the Internet that anyone who's been paying attention already knows the answers to). Green's interview from December had a limited focus, and I think that helped.

I think one reason for the lack of depth this week is the nature of the press demos. Journalists were obliged to write about what they experienced. There was less time to delve into philosophies, which is what many of us are interested in. We're more interested in whether the game is fun, but reading someone's take on that is less convincing. I think we all realize that the proof will be in the playing.

Huh

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, May 01, 2014, 07:31 (3651 days ago) @ Kermit

I think one reason for the lack of depth this week is the nature of the press demos. Journalists were obliged to write about what they experienced. There was less time to delve into philosophies, which is what many of us are interested in. We're more interested in whether the game is fun, but reading someone's take on that is less convincing. I think we all realize that the proof will be in the playing.

But it's up to Bungie / the marketing team to have the press demos not be insubstantial and result in coverage that shows why the game is so special.
There's still plenty of time for that, but this felt like it was going to be a bit more than it ended up being, so similar to the E3 demo [assuming I understand correctly that the trailer this week focused on that piece of content].

I don't know if I agree on your last few sentences either, there are some journalists who I do consider a good barometer of how I'd respond if I had a similar play time / scenario.

-- On a side note I wonder why Giant Bomb weren't invited / didn't go. Perhaps they felt burned by the underwhelming amount of content from their last trip up to Seattle for it, when it was largely a few theatre presentations (with little gameplay) and chats with a few developers. --

Huh

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 01, 2014, 09:02 (3651 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

But it's up to Bungie / the marketing team to have the press demos not be insubstantial and result in coverage that shows why the game is so special.
There's still plenty of time for that, but this felt like it was going to be a bit more than it ended up being, so similar to the E3 demo [assuming I understand correctly that the trailer this week focused on that piece of content].

I don't disagree, but when Ms. Perky is rifling through a stack of note cards with questions like "Will there be lotsa GUNZ?" it's a bit more challenging.

I don't know if I agree on your last few sentences either, there are some journalists who I do consider a good barometer of how I'd respond if I had a similar play time / scenario.

Me, too. (I miss Adam Sessler already.) I was trying to acknowledge that some here don't trust the press. (My perspective is that there are problems in the gaming press, e.g., fawning, fear of losing access, etc., but those problems aren't limited to gaming journalists. There are non-hacks, and with experience you can even read between the lines of the hackery.)

-- On a side note I wonder why Giant Bomb weren't invited / didn't go. Perhaps they felt burned by the underwhelming amount of content from their last trip up to Seattle for it, when it was largely a few theatre presentations (with little gameplay) and chats with a few developers. --

Yeah, good question. I think that first press jaunt was probably premature and forced by other factors. I think it's harder to make a big splash with a new IP than it used it be. I used to consider Bungie among the best at the tease, but I don't envy them, especially with a game like this, which seems to not fit into categories perfectly. And how do you reveal a game before launch when the biggest strength of the game is what and how things are revealed in game?

I'd buy anything with Bungie's name on it with very little information, but that's based on my experience with them. I don't have to see anything else to be sold. I care about these reveals because I know this stuff matters for the business, and most people aren't like me. I'd care even more if there wasn't going to be a beta, which I'm hoping makes everyone feel less anxious.

Yarp

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 12:29 (3649 days ago) @ Kermit

I'd buy anything with Bungie's name on it with very little information, but that's based on my experience with them. I don't have to see anything else to be sold. I care about these reveals because I know this stuff matters for the business, and most people aren't like me. I'd care even more if there wasn't going to be a beta, which I'm hoping makes everyone feel less anxious.

+1

Huh

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, May 01, 2014, 21:51 (3650 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Yeah, I was hoping to hear their take on the latest trailer in this week's Bombcast. Weird that they didn't even mention it, but I guess if nobody from GB got hands-on time at the event there was plenty of other gaming news to overshadow the trailer.

Huh

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 12:30 (3649 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Yeah, I was hoping to hear their take on the latest trailer in this week's Bombcast. Weird that they didn't even mention it, but I guess if nobody from GB got hands-on time at the event there was plenty of other gaming news to overshadow the trailer.

I don't know, I'm almost glad they didn't comment on the trailer alone, as I feel they'd have been let down / negative based on the trailer and just largely pondered what will see at E3.
They'll hopefully get a significant hands on then and have something to say.

If I haven't seen it, its new to me!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, May 01, 2014, 08:13 (3651 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Forgetting also counts. >_> :)

Thoughts, predictions and palate-cleansing

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 22:47 (3651 days ago) @ Schooly D

Audience is now a glowing white mass of plasma
The convention center is vaporized

Just like pre-launch Halo 2, good times.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread