Get to know your DBO - TEACHERS! *sOT* (Off-Topic)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 13:30 (3640 days ago)

[T E A C H E R S]

It’s been a week since we have had a new poster officially come out of the DBO network of lurkers and about 10 months, 17 days since the last time I posted this same type of post. It’s about time we got to know abit more about our fellow “doobers” – both new and old.

This time around – as you may have noted – the particular topic in question is teachers (though if the topic branches off intelligently, that’s fine), sparked by the video linked at the very top of this post.

Fair warning: this video will cause you to shed the manliest of tears (even you Grizzlei). For those of you who are at work (and don’t have videos blocked), be prepared to be attacked by ninjas with onions – twice so if you love space like I do.

After that? Self-explanatory. Tell of who inspired you, taught you, and helped make you – YOU. For the better preferably – but it’s your choice. Added plus if we learn a little extra something in the process.

Learning is - AWESOME. :D

\(^▽^)/

For starters: Thanks Mom. <3

Get to know your DBO - TEACHERS! *sOT*

by NartFOpc, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 17:51 (3639 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Here's another inspiring video about going to the moon to help get the thread started.

To The Moon

thanking my favorite teachers would breach the character lim

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, May 11, 2014, 23:18 (3639 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, May 12, 2014, 10:10 (3639 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

In college, I had the pleasure of knowing Drs. Alexandre Pantsov and Jacqueline Bussie. They were professors of Russian and Chinese history, and religion and Christian Ethics, respectively.

Dr. Pantsov was a Jewish Russian from near Moscow. He first became an expert in Chinese history, and after the collapse of the Soviet Union, moved to the United States, studied Russian history, and became an expert in comparitive studies. He not only helped teach me to think, but to look at the actions of individuals in their historical context. Understanding was more important than judgement.

Jackie focused most of her professional efforts on what she called "the laughter of the oppressed." She made it ok for my to question my dogmatic faith, and sowed the seeds for my eventual rebellion.

Thanks to the miracle of books, Noam Chomsky and Carl Sagan have been my most recent influences. They both build on what I've learned before, and help encourage me to say the things that can't be said and ask the questions so few do.

There's also that boundless love and pity for humankind in their writing, which I try to remember as often as possible.

Speaking of which, Teju Cole is pretty awesome. I haven't read any of his books yet, but if you have Twitter, do yourself a favor and follow him.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 12, 2014, 10:21 (3639 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Thanks to the miracle of books, Noam Chomsky and Carl Sagan have been my most recent influences. They both build on what I've learned before, and help encourage me to say the things that can't be said and ask the questions so few do.

I used to like Noam Chomsky, until I realized he wasn't as good a thinker as I thought. I was first convinced of this when I saw his Justice vs Power debate with Foucault.

http://www.chomsky.info/debates/1971xxxx.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawGakdNoT0

Watch Foucault hand him his ass.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, May 12, 2014, 10:28 (3639 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Monday, May 12, 2014, 10:34

I used to like Noam Chomsky, until I realized he wasn't as good a thinker as I thought. I was first convinced of this when I saw his Justice vs Power debate with Foucault.

http://www.chomsky.info/debates/1971xxxx.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawGakdNoT0

Watch Foucault hand him his ass.

Cool. I'll read this when I get the chance.

EDIT: I see it's from 1971? I've been reading a lot of his recent stuff (since 2000 anyway), I wonder how it will compare.

Totally OT now

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 12, 2014, 11:38 (3639 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, May 12, 2014, 11:54

EDIT: I see it's from 1971? I've been reading a lot of his recent stuff (since 2000 anyway), I wonder how it will compare.

Interestingly his writings from post 9/11 are what finally convinced me he isn't so great :-p

He's got the chops when it comes to linguistics, make no mistake. But in terms of politics, he's completely out of touch and anti-intellectual.

I think if you watch the entire debate, you'll see that while both he and Foucault grasp language and media as a form of social control, Foucault has a far better and more correct understanding of dominance by power. Chomsky still appeals to ideas of fairness and justice in modern writings, yet Foucault points out that these concepts are actually internalized expressions of authority's control over you. Instead of appealing to those, you should get to what IS, not what OUGHT to be, and seize power for yourself.

But anyway, since the subtopic is Teachers who helped you through writing even if there wasn't an official teacher / student relationship, I'd say if you could only read two 20th century writers, they'd be Foucault and Baudrillard. Both are on my list of 'teachers'.

Totally OT now

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, May 12, 2014, 11:47 (3639 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Interestingly his writings from post 9/11 are what finally convinced me he isn't so great :-p

He's got the chops when it comes to linguistics, make no mistake. But in terms of politics, he's completely out of touch and anti-intellectual.

I think he would take that as a point of pride. Haha.

I think if you watch the entire debate, you'll see that while both he and Foucault grasp language and media as a form of social control, Foucault has a far better and more correct understanding of dominance by power. Chomsky still appeals to ideas of fairness and justice in modern writings, yet Foucault points out that these concepts are actually internalized expressions of authority's control over you. Instead of appealing to those, you should get to what IS, not what OUGHT to be, and seize power for yourself.

Interesting. Is it right to say the "how" and the "what" is more important than the "why?" And just for yourself? What about everyone else?

Totally OT now

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 12, 2014, 19:28 (3638 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Interesting. Is it right to say the "how" and the "what" is more important than the "why?" And just for yourself? What about everyone else?

Whether 'why' means anything depends on whether you ascribe agency to the universe; i.e. believe in God.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 12, 2014, 15:56 (3638 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I am of the opinion that anything and anyone that comes across you shapes you to what you are. Not only that, but I really like to piece down every bit of every social interaction I experience, which probably helps the above-mentioned "anything" and "anyone" be even more influential. So, in that aspect, even you guys are great teachers in my life. :D

Now, more in line to your question, I'm afraid my best teacher is my own curiosity. I used to gorge over Discovery Channel, browse Wikipedia for hours on end, read books until my wrists were tired. Some say that's because of my grandfather. Some say my father. I have no idea.

Back in school, I've always had remarkable teachers, but since I'm an engineering undergrad, I must say my physics teachers were the most influential. For some amazing reason, I have never had a non-fucking-great physics teacher before college. I am very grateful to each and every one of them.

My favorite teacher is ZackDark's curiosity about Americans

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, May 12, 2014, 19:33 (3638 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

You crazy Americans and your craziness...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 12, 2014, 19:44 (3638 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

You crazy Americans and your craziness...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 03:58 (3638 days ago) @ ZackDark

To the Moon!
[image]

This. So much this.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, May 12, 2014, 20:21 (3638 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

Yup.

by Quirel, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 01:13 (3638 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread