Backstory (Destiny)

by GrimBrotherIII, Monday, September 01, 2014, 19:37 (3547 days ago)

So i have seen many a mention of this, but not until now (to my knowledge) has it been compiled and stream-lined into single thread...

So tell me Guardians - Does your Warrior have a backstory? What is it?

I look forward to your answers.

- III

Backstory

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, September 01, 2014, 19:47 (3547 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

So i have seen many a mention of this, but not until now (to my knowledge) has it been compiled and stream-lined into single thread...

So tell me Guardians - Does your Warrior have a backstory? What is it?

I look forward to your answers.

- III

I know Kermit does.

Love it!

by GrimBrotherIII, Monday, September 01, 2014, 20:03 (3547 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Backstory

by Jester GS, Earth, Monday, September 01, 2014, 21:50 (3547 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- III

Me too, and I've been thinking abut this. I normally like to just play as "me" in a RPG, but I think I'll roll an Exo Hunter. He had served his purpose long ago as a warrior in the Great War against the darkness (THE DARKNESS), which was why he was built. After the Traveler saved Earth, he was left without a purpose. He sat down and began to ponder the meaning of his existence. What purpose does a war machine have with no war to fight? He became so engrossed in his thoughts that he diverted all power to his reasoning processing programming. However, when he was ready to begin again, he found after sitting and thinking for so long that his joints had rusted stiff. His couldn't get up. He couldn't move. He could just sit there and continue to think. Would he ever move again? How much longer could he make his power last just sitting? He wasn't dead, but this was defiantly not living. What of all the people and fellow Exos he had let down during the war? Would he ever have a chance at redemption? Then came along a ghost. His ghost...

Just hints really...

by rhubarb, Monday, September 01, 2014, 21:53 (3547 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

She hadn't been concerned by the flying snowflake, his statement of her previous condition or his warning of the many things she would not understand. It was the three things she was very comfortable with that seemed to alarm others.

The knife. The strange alien's face had become very familiar with it before she knew it was in her hand. Her obvious prowess with the blade rendered her questions about how and why a matter for another time.

While the machine gun and shotgun were welcome and useful, they seemed crude and inelegant. Spraying lead in the general direction of a threat was not what she was used to, which lead to the obvious question: What was she used to?

The revolver. She smiled when she saw it. She let out a long whistle as she spun the cylinder and flicked the weapon sideways to lock it in place. It was a surgical instrument of death and she would wield it as such. Other residents of the tower regarded them akin to artillery, but she had been complimented by several veteran Guardians on patrol with a similar refrain. "It was as if you pointed your finger, and they were gone."

The spaceship? She was a little taken aback, thinking they were searching for a plane to escape in. The sensation of materializing into an unfamiliar cockpit in which you find yourself completely at ease was indescribable. The shipwright was unable to determine the origin of her shell or why essential exo-atmospheric systems were crudely patched in, as if an afterthought, and then rendered speechless when informed by the maintenance bot the pilot's seat was covered in an organic material from some unknown creature.

Backstory

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, September 01, 2014, 22:37 (3547 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Yes. :)

1. Natela Tamaya Murk - A young Human Hunter in her late teens who has the distinction of being one of the few Guardians chosen from among the living. She ventures out beyond the wall in order to secure (misappropriate!) the Glimmer needed to treat her younger sister's life threatening illness. Unlike most Guardians, Natela has no previous combat experience from a former life. Instead, she is having to learn as she goes.

2. Tesni Jarmila - A tall, powerful, Awoken Titan. Born Human, later becoming an Awoken out in the deep black, Tesni endured a long first twenty years. She escaped the Earth as a small child only to return to it as a young adult having grown up on the mishmash of ships and wreckage that would, centuries later, become the Reef. She came back as part of an Awoken expedition in search of what seemed to be a city being built beneath The Traveler. She never did find that city, however, as her expedition's ship was shot down above North America.

As the sole survivor of the crash, Tesni's strange blue skin, strong, stubborn attitude, and stories of a distant safe city lead her to become something of a leader to a group of refugees desperate to escape the harsh realities of post-Collapse civilization. Astonishingly, Tesni was able to defy city states and warlords as she lead the way towards The City she herself only half believed in. Her luck, as it was, finally ran out though when the container ship she and her followers eventually managed to commandeer was fired upon and sunk off the coast of Galveston Island, just one step away from the safety of the open ocean. Centuries later, Tesni was revived by her Ghost among the ancient washed up debris that marked her demise.

Now in her mid forties, Tesni is regarded as something of a Legend having successfully fought in defense of The City for the better part of twenty years.

3. Abner 4c6173746e616d65 - A long surviving Exo who is unable to properly access his last name. Abner heard rumors of The City in the years following the Collapse and began a long globe-spanning journey, on foot, to find it. Unfortunately, slavery under the ownership of one Human warlord or another delayed his arrival by multiple centuries. He was finally killed in the midst of a Fallen attack in the heart of Old Russia but was returned to life by his Ghost just days later. Now, Abner steadfastly serves only his own interests as a wise but deeply bitter Warlock.

My character isn't a Guardian.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, September 01, 2014, 23:07 (3547 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

He just snuck into the Tower one day, while wearing a cape.

Not being able to be revived does make battle dangerous. When he gets shot up, my character plays dead, takes a breather, and pops ibuprofen.

One time he took a bullet wound to the head. Fortunately, he made the split-second decision to give himself CPR, saving his life.

Forgotten

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 06:48 (3547 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

I don't really remember much before I died. Just glimpses of my past life really. Perhaps as we discover more clues about the Golden Age I'll remember more about my past. How did I die? Why do I carry the light of the Traveller? Where did my skills come from?

Viva Los Tutores (Guardians)

by kornman00, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 06:49 (3547 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

a la Viva Las Vegas' intro from Fear and Loathing ("There was only one road...")

There was only one way back to The City: Old Russia's cosmodrome 15. Just a flat-out high speed drift through Petersburg, Moscow, and Belarus. Then on to the Trans-Siberian highway, with a shortcut jump into orbit. Safety...security...man's last city in this bleak kingdom.

I'd gone in search of a Guardian from a dream. I found his dead body laying around, with little time to spare. Now, there was no point in looking back. Fallen were close, and the Traveler's light cast dimly here. His heart once again pumped blood. This wouldn't be his last reincarnation. Not while we still had Wizards coming from the moon. He'd have to be a man with grove and respawn quick enough before these dogs beat us over the fence.

I actually thought this up earlier this morning when iTunes shuffled to the Dead Kennedys song, which made me go "heh, more like there was only one road back to Old Russia" (this is what happens when you're Destiny deprived and riding the wake of a caffeine buzz). It just worked out you posted about asking our back storys too. So I'll pretend this is my Guardian's backstory prologue. My Dinklebot's first thoughts as he started reviving me :p

Tried to be clever with it. Only spent an hour on it, reviewing Russian landscape to try and make the beginning work. I've actually limited my exposure Destiny's lore outside of what we got in the beta. I want to feel like I'm actually being awoken years in the future by a Dinklebot and being just as "wut" as my Guardian is in game. So in absence of being well versed, I tried to go with being clever with in-jokes for the ending. Feel free to laugh with it, or at it.

Though instead of leading into a Dead Kennedys track, however, I'd have it run into one of the two Sandrider songs which I'm pretty damn sure are referencing Destiny:
Traveler
Overwatch (in reference to the district by the same name?)

I'm tempted to just say my Guardian is me.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 09:18 (3547 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

My character isn't a Guardian.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 09:21 (3547 days ago) @ uberfoop

Just make sure you don't take any projectiles to your knee. I heard from quite a few of the guards that it's a pretty debilitating injury.

Backstory

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 11:09 (3547 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Someone I chat with in IRC is into the role-playing thing and got me to think about it seriously, instead of or more like in addition to just having my Guardian(s) be me. For my main Guardian, I was set on a human, because I don't know what I'd be getting into with the Awoken and Exos, and male, because I am one, and a Hunter, because they seem, or they seemed, balanced between the other two classes, and they have cool traits.

I came up with:
- doesn't believe the Traveler is a god or worthy of worship, same for any "machine gods" that might be around
- pragmatic sense of morality and pragmatic and practical in general (willing to cross moral event horizons for the greater good for the most part)
- tying into the last item, he's a Hunter because it seems like the logical, practical path, and because it doesn't rely on "magic" or anything "mystical" so much, and because it goes with his preferred style(s) of combat
- some conflict of being grateful to be alive with some underlying worry that he's not the same person that you were before death
- no discernible memory of his previous life, at this time (kind of waiting to see what canon says, and kind of can't be bothered and don't to have my Guardian tied down to anything)
- a loner, who nonetheless can enjoy the company of others, just doesn't enjoy company all the time or possibly even most of the time

That's largely just a copy of me, but it's a basis for a personality and there are some differences. I was thinking about having some other characters and this got me to consider what I'd do for them. I have an idea about my Warlock, maybe he or she would be more strongly and deeply moral, and also reverent of the power they can use.

I guess that doesn't really go into backstory; if Guardians keep the personality they had before, it would, otherwise not so much; it is kind of a starting point though.

Backstory

by Durandal, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 14:30 (3546 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Well, before the Beta revealed how your Ghost resurrects you in Old Russia, I had this idea that my Exo hunter had been salvaged from a drop pod buried in rubble by some human survivalists scraping by. They were working on reactivating him when some Fallen took interest in their little enclave and attacked. With their dying breath one manages to activate him. His processors come on line, identify numerous alien contacts, recently deceased humans, and a shotgun.

No fallen would return to the drop ship. He would depart on a pike, headed for the only remaining rally point in his fragmented memory.

With the beta, I retconned it to a last stand at the walls of Old Russia's Cosmodrome. Building a wall of alien corpses to protect the few remaining humans trying to flee the end. His rampage only ended when the enemy deployed the city killers.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread