Impact (Destiny)

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:15 (3524 days ago)

I've done some research, but am still a little unclear. Can someone explain to me what the Impact stat is and how it effects damage?

Impact

by General Battuta, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:19 (3524 days ago) @ rliebherr

Impact is the weapon's base damage. When you fire the weapon at a target out in the world, it compares the weapon's Attack stat to the target's Defense and generates a multiplier that may reduce the final damage.

Impact

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:23 (3524 days ago) @ General Battuta

Perfect. Thank you.

I must've read 15 different definitions and that is the first one that made sense.

Impact

by Earendil, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:47 (3523 days ago) @ General Battuta

Interesting. I figured and thought that I read someplace that "impact" was the stopping power of a bullet. A high impact will cause a charging enemy to slow, stop or possible be stunned for a short period of time. Shotguns for example have a high impact and they cause enemies to stop in their tracks for a second.

But there are two people in this thread that think otherwise and have put in a lot more time. So I'm probably wrong :)

Impact

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 14:17 (3523 days ago) @ General Battuta

Also important to note is that the weapon stats (Impact, etc.) only compare between each class of weapons. So you can't compare the Impact rating of a Sniper vs. a Handcannon.

Good to know, hadnt considered that.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 16:59 (3523 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

Impact

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:29 (3524 days ago) @ rliebherr

I've done some research, but am still a little unclear. Can someone explain to me what the Impact stat is and how it effects damage?

More impact = More damage per bullet.

Impact

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:16 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by rliebherr, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:21

To clarify, in Iron Banner, Impact and Attack matter. However, in regular Crucible Matches only Impact matters?

Put another way, the weapon still matters in regular Crucible matches (an SR with high impact will deal more damage that an SR with low impact), but the damage won't change based on the multiplier determined by the attack and defense of the two involved because level bonuses are disabled. In Iron Banner, the damage is changed based on the multiplier determined by the attack and defense of the two involved because level bonuses are enabled.

Is that correct? There's really no easy way to ask this question. It's fairly technical. Basically, I want to know if all weapon types are set to some "base weapon" to equalize regular Cricible Matches or if the weapons stats as found in PVE transfer to PVP sans level bonuses of the attacker and defender.

Impact

by General Battuta, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:23 (3523 days ago) @ rliebherr

To clarify, in Iron Banner, Impact and Attack matter. However, in regular Crucible Matches only Impact matters?

Put another way, the weapon still matters in regular Crucible matches (an SR with high impact will deal more damage that an SR with low impact), but the damage won't change based on the multiplier determined by the attack and defense of the two involved because level bonuses are disabled. In Iron Banner, the damage is changed based on the multiplier determined by the attack and defense of the two involved because level bonuses are enabled.

Is that correct? There's really no easy way to ask this question. It's fairly technical. Basically, I want to know if all weapon types are set to some "base weapon" to equalize regular Cricible Matches or if the weapons stats as found in PVE transfer to PVP sans level bonuses of the attacker and defender.

Your summary is correct. Weapon stats as found in PVE transfer to PVP - there is no weird morphing of all auto rifles into one bland ur-rifle.

Impact

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, September 11, 2014, 07:16 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Speaking of which, I've started experimenting some to identify ecactly how much more damage you get for each point of Impact across each weapon type (Sniper Impact of 30 still being more damage than auto rifle impact of 30).

Unfortunately the only way of measuring the bars so far is to "Inspect element" in your web browser, but at least it means we can assign weapons an actual damage rating in a spreadsheet or something. It was initially intended for my copy of the Companion's Little Helper (Thanks SteelGaribaldi!), but I figure it would be good to have that kind of thing publicly available/accessible.

Before I do though, does anyone know if the steategy guide already has that information? Dont want to waste everyone's time by posting what we already know.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread