Confirmed: HoW will not ship with a raid. (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:21 (3309 days ago)

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12764

Kudos to Urk for jumping on that one so quick.

That was nice to see so quickly.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:24 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

No raid either. Appreciate the timely noting of it though.

Armor for the Trials of Osiris is abit... literal.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:24 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

Also... "three-player cooperative multiplayer arena."

*SIGH*. Not to say it doesn't have the possibility for fun... but... *SIGH*.

Confirmed: HoW will not ship with a raid.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:24 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

Yep. I'm glad we got that out of the way. It'll be interesting to see what the rest of these new things are. I am a bit surprised that the Prison of Elders is a three person activity. I kinda figured it'd be six person to "make up for" a Raid... but then again I might be talkin' very foolish not knowing what is and isn't involved.

I think they said ToO was skirmish a while back.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:25 (3309 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yep. I'm glad we got that out of the way. It'll be interesting to see what the rest of these new things are. I am a bit surprised that the Prison of Elders is a three person activity. I kinda figured it'd be six person to "make up for" a Raid... but then again I might be talkin' very foolish not knowing what is and isn't involved.

You just have to pay to get in with motes. And maybe it had some of the scaling aspects of IB, I think.

*Ah, you were talkin' bout the arena. Yeah, that is lame.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:55 (3309 days ago) @ iconicbanana

You just have to pay to get in with motes.

That would suck. I don't want to have to play boring activities (you get no exp for the current raids) just to earn motes for what may be a really fun activity.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 13, 2015, 22:29 (3309 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You just have to pay to get in with motes.

That would suck. I don't want to have to play boring activities (you get no exp for the current raids) just to earn motes for what may be a really fun activity.

As I understand it, you would need to buy in once with Motes, and get to play as long as you kept winning. If you lost, though, you'd have to buy in again.

Although considering the way people complain on here about having useless amounts of motes, I don't imagine this is keeping many dedicated forum members out ;)

True.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 13, 2015, 22:52 (3309 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 13, 2015, 23:27 (3309 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Although considering the way people complain on here about having useless amounts of motes, I don't imagine this is keeping many dedicated forum members out ;)

Motes used to be useless. With the introduction of Iron Banner reforging, and- to a lesser extent- the now guaranteed weekly exotic engrams sold by Xur, they're actually quite valuable.

Strange Coins, on the other hand... I have everything Xur can sell me currently. They're just piling up now.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 13, 2015, 23:59 (3308 days ago) @ CyberKN

Motes used to be useless. With the introduction of Iron Banner reforging, and- to a lesser extent- the now guaranteed weekly exotic engrams sold by Xur, they're actually quite valuable.

Strange Coins, on the other hand... I have everything Xur can sell me currently. They're just piling up now.

Isn't that terrific? Usually in games like this I hate how currency piles up and becomes worthless. It's kind of nice to have them be valuable.

That said, I never have any motes. You know why.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 00:04 (3308 days ago) @ iconicbanana

[image]

Confirmed: HoW will not ship with a raid.

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:26 (3309 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Wow, that was fast. I really hope it is as challenging as raiding.

Only 3 players for the Prison of Elders?

by LostSpartan, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:28 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

I think that disappoints me more than the omission of a raid :/

Confirmed: Fatebringer will upgrade to 365

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:29 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

The pic clearly shows this. Hurrah!

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:30 (3309 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Hmm.... I wonder if this will apply to all legendaries. Thankfully i kept my shadow price :)

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:32 (3309 days ago) @ red robber

and The Devil You Know!

:)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:49 (3309 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

I have still kept my The Devil You Know with Spray and Play, Perfect Balance, Third Eye. This is definitely good news!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, April 13, 2015, 20:39 (3309 days ago) @ red robber

Hmm.... I wonder if this will apply to all legendaries. Thankfully i kept my shadow price :)

I had the exact same thought! I love my Shadow Price.

-Disciple

That's awesome!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 00:56 (3308 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Now Bluerunner can rest assured that the gun he'll never get will stay relevant a while longer!

;)

What about Armor?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 02:23 (3308 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

This would be rad if you can also upgrade your Legendary Armor.

Paranoia

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:08 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

Our team has been humbled by the reception of Raids in Destiny and we are creating a new Raid for a release later this year.

If this means that they've decided to hold off so that they can place the next raid behind another paywall, I'm probably going to be done with this game.

-Disciple

Relevant

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:13 (3309 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

[image]

Also Relevant

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 13, 2015, 23:19 (3309 days ago) @ iconicbanana

[image]

It's possible that this is just as fun, if not moreso.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:30 (3309 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Don't judge yet.

It's probably because of how few people actually raid

by Kahzgul, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:14 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

Seriously, the percentage of players that raid is incredibly small. This is true in almost all MMOs. While I think the raids have been, to date, the most interesting part of Destiny, I'm glad that the focus for HoW is on making content that is equally interesting but far more accessible. This looks like a good decision to me.

Of course, I haven't so much as launched Destiny in 3 weeks, so what do I know? Maybe the game is all raids all the time now.

Needs substantiation.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:20 (3309 days ago) @ Kahzgul

We have data for what percentage of players have completed a raid (trophy data), but not what percentage actively plays Destiny. Without that second data point, It's impossible to consider the assertion you just made to be a valid reason.

Random content is the answer

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:28 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

To satisfy people that play over and over and over and over (like me), randomly generated content seems like the best answer.

Raid Designer Ad

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:33 (3309 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Have they hired the senior raid designer person yet? I remember they were looking for one. I wonder if that has anything to do with the delay?

The advertisement is still on Bungie.net

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:36 (3309 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

by ArteenEsben, Monday, April 13, 2015, 22:07 (3309 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Seriously, the percentage of players that raid is incredibly small. This is true in almost all MMOs. While I think the raids have been, to date, the most interesting part of Destiny, I'm glad that the focus for HoW is on making content that is equally interesting but far more accessible. This looks like a good decision to me.

Of course, I haven't so much as launched Destiny in 3 weeks, so what do I know? Maybe the game is all raids all the time now.

I'm sure more people would raid if Bungie actually made it easier to do so. Be it matchmaking or even just an in-game LFG.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 19:18 (3308 days ago) @ ArteenEsben

I'm sure more people would raid if Bungie actually made it easier to do so. Be it matchmaking or even just an in-game LFG.

They could even do something more straightforward and natural than that, like, I don't know, let you talk to anyone in any game mode without having to do external opt-in party stuff.

Bait and switch

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 13, 2015, 21:56 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

I bought the season pass thinking there was going to be a raid with each expansion. Whether that was justified or not I don't know, but I'm extremely disappointed by this news. I just don't think a think a three player arena activity can make up for the cool shit that the raids have.

Guess we'll see.

Bait and switch

by Fuertisimo, Monday, April 13, 2015, 22:05 (3309 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Good thing they've already got your (and many other peoples) money.

It's cool though, they said they didn't make the decision lightly.

Bait and switch

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 13, 2015, 22:52 (3309 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You think a lot of things. Has there ever been an official source saying each expansion would have a raid? If not, then aren't you just inventing your own made up reasons to be disappointed? That doesn't seem healthy.

Bait and switch

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 13, 2015, 22:58 (3309 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You think a lot of things. Has there ever been an official source saying each expansion would have a raid? If not, then aren't you just inventing your own made up reasons to be disappointed? That doesn't seem healthy.

I tend to invent most of my own problems too. For instance, I drink all the time and smoke a lot of cigars. Also I don't exercise. But I expect to look handsome, and goddamn if I don't!

[image]
*Object in mirror is significantly less handsome than iconicbanana.That's the switch part, dummy.

Bait and switch

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 13, 2015, 23:36 (3309 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Actually, Cody's reaction is one of the most calm, measured responses to this news that I've seen today.

You should really get out more.

Bait and switch

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 00:41 (3308 days ago) @ CyberKN

Actually, Cody's reaction is one of the most calm, measured responses to this news that I've seen today.

You should really get out more.

Psssh. What I said was true. Besides, there's always been people more loud and irrational than Cody. It's just most of them aren't worth listening to in the least while Cody sometimes is.

Bait and switch

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 11:19 (3308 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Psssh. What I said was true. Besides, there's always been people more loud and irrational than Cody. It's just most of them aren't worth listening to in the least while Cody sometimes is.

He acknowledged that he wasn't sure if he was justified in being disappointed. He was disappointed nonetheless. He calmly expressed that fact, in a sensible manner that also left room for the fact that his disappointment may be unfounded, and that we'll see, when HoW drops.

Is Cody being loud right now? Not at all, at least not in the post you responded to. Is he being irrational? Kinda. I had the same expectation, that each Expansion would come with a Raid. I'm pretty sure everyone did. The assumption was reasonable, but still ultimately an assumption.

So there's a way you can break this down and portray his actions herein as irrational, but, if that really bothers you, I have no idea how you can stand humanity. Oh, wait, yes I do, simple human irrationality on your part. Glad we got that cleared up.

Bait and switch

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 11:55 (3308 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I had the same expectation, that each Expansion would come with a Raid. I'm pretty sure everyone did.

It seems to me that even Bungie thought this at one point. Saying that they didn't make the decision (not to have a raid in this one) lightly indicates that there was in fact a decision, and probably one they didn't go in expecting to make.

I think so? *img*

by HavokBlue, California, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 05:51 (3308 days ago) @ Ragashingo

[image]

Bait and switch

by FyreWulff, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 06:07 (3308 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Nope. People are datamining old data and holding Bungie to promises Bungie never even made.

Actually, they did advertise a raid

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 06:29 (3308 days ago) @ FyreWulff

Nope. People are datamining old data and holding Bungie to promises Bungie never even made.

Actually they did. It was in descriptions about the House of Wolves in certain ads. It was advertised as coming with a raid:

[image]

(I recall seeing something similar before I got the expansion pass.

That wasn't an ad.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 10:33 (3308 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Actually they did. It was in descriptions about the House of Wolves in certain ads. It was advertised as coming with a raid:

[image]

That was something that was datamined. That was not something Bungie released.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-04-destiny-house-of-wolves-expansion-details-possible-release-date-leak

Bait and switch

by ArteenEsben, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 09:01 (3308 days ago) @ Ragashingo

A raid in each expansion was hardly an unreasonable expectation.

Bait and switch

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 11:55 (3308 days ago) @ ArteenEsben

A raid in each expansion was hardly an unreasonable expectation.

Exactly, especially since the first expansion had one.

I think Bungie recognizes that expectation else they wouldn't have described their decision to not include it the way they did.

Given that it wasn't an unreasonable expectation, I'm wondering about the future raid, its presumed inclusion in Comet and how that might shake out price-wise.

Would comet be available to players who didn't buy the expansion packs? Could the raid be available separately from other new content to people who have the expansion packs or could there be a discount available to such people.

How is this handled in WoW? I'm just not familiar with the model.

Regarding HoW, despite some disappointment I'm excited about new story content and intrigued by a completely new activity.

WoW is subscription and expansion priced.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 12:14 (3308 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by iconicbanana, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 12:21

How is this handled in WoW? I'm just not familiar with the model.

WoW charges a full game's price on top of the monthly subscription. You get vanilla WoW for $10 a month, but you have to pay $35-55 for each expansion.

That said, you get more content, with raids ranging from 4-25* players (that might be different now, I'm not a wizard).

Fun Fact! Only 2% of the player base of the original Vanilla WoW played the final end-game Raid.

*Fixed

Bait and switch

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 00:35 (3308 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I had the same expectation. :-(

That Trials gear is epic

by petetheduck, Monday, April 13, 2015, 22:16 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Disappointing, But I'm Still Excited For It.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, April 13, 2015, 22:20 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Don't judge them yet, dudes.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 13, 2015, 22:32 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

This might be fun.

"upgrade path for your existing Exotic and Legendary gear"

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, April 13, 2015, 23:16 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

This sounds promising. There's even a graphic that pretty clearly illustrates a 300 attack weapon going to 365 (which must be the new max I guess). Could it be that the TDYK and Shadow Price I've had sitting in my vault are going to come out to play again?

I am a little disappointed at the lack of a raid, but to be completely honest I don't raid THAT much. Depending on what The Prison of Elders turns out to be, it's possible I could end up playing that more than I've raided in the past. So, it's a legit complaint, I'm just not sure it'll matter much in my case.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 00:56 (3308 days ago) @ stabbim

I threw away 300 attack legendaries that I would have kept had I know I could upgrade them :-/

I'm not sure -they- knew you'd be able to upgrade them...

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 01:01 (3308 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 02:06 (3308 days ago) @ slycrel

I honestly don't think they did. I think the original plan was just to keep doing what TDB did - roll out a whole new set of legendaries with new attack/defense values each time, and leave the old stuff behind. I think the new upgrade system (whatever it turns out to be) is a direct response to community feedback (read: community raging).

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 20:20 (3308 days ago) @ stabbim

I honestly don't think they did. I think the original plan was just to keep doing what TDB did - roll out a whole new set of legendaries with new attack/defense values each time, and leave the old stuff behind. I think the new upgrade system (whatever it turns out to be) is a direct response to community feedback (read: community raging).

Heh.

Though this is great news for me; I've still got an old 300 Crash that rolled double grenade cooldown perks. Loooove that gun, especially paired with blind grenades or Axion Bolt.

~m

Poor A.1F19X-RYL... I enjoyed it so much in PvE...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 01:09 (3308 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Poor A.1F19X-RYL... I enjoyed it so much in PvE...

by Up North 65 @, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 01:25 (3308 days ago) @ ZackDark

Still have my Alphabet Soup and use it regularly. Hoping this upgrade extends to normal legendarys. If not Ill be he only one dumb enough to still rock a 300 ATK weapon.

I still have mine, hoping to upgrade it someday.

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 05:22 (3308 days ago) @ Up North 65

- No text -

It might just be raid weapons.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 01:16 (3308 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

It might just be raid weapons.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 01:43 (3308 days ago) @ CyberKN

Guh. Now I need to get that Praedyth's Timepiece.

Apropos of nothing (you did say raid weapons)...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 02:00 (3308 days ago) @ CyberKN

If this is the raid hand cannon...
[image]

HHNNNNRGGG!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 02:03 (3308 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Same. I got rid of plenty of them, I was just too attached to TDYK to give it up, and for a while there no other hand cannons would drop for me.

I used to have a Void Deviant Gravity with field scout that I definitely would have held on to. It was pretty much the best HMG I've had.

Interestingly for me, I still have the old void Comedian I bought from the Vanguard vendor early on, because as of yet I haven't had another void shotgun drop (no Swordbreaker for me, yet). Thanks to the massive shotgun buff, it's far from useless, but I can tell it doesn't hit as hard as my 331 shotties. If nothing else shows up before HoW, maybe I'll be able to hang onto it forever? I wouldn't mind, I actually like that gun a lot.

If the reddit rumors are to be believed...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 12:37 (3308 days ago) @ stabbim

Same. I got rid of plenty of them, I was just too attached to TDYK to give it up, and for a while there no other hand cannons would drop for me.

If the stats aren't a lie, datamining suggested there would be a new DYK:
http://destinydb.com/items/2136150589-sojourner-compass
[image]

You'll still have to roll better perks, but as far as stats are concerned, it's the same gun.

That gun is beautiful.

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 20:09 (3308 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Immediately goes to the top of my want list based on appearance alone.

by DocOctavius, Orlando Florida, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 10:54 (3308 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah I think we all did due to the tiny vault.

I didn't

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 11:10 (3308 days ago) @ DocOctavius

I never wholly replaced a 300 weapon with a 331 one unless the 331 one handled at least as good. (With one exception; Murmur for my Arc Light/BEWARE. But I don't regret that.)

I was only able to do this because I only have a teeny tiny arsenal in the first place, though.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread