Destiny for PS4 controls

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 15:10 (3971 days ago)

http://destiny.bungie.org/images/news/destiny_controls.jpg

Anyone up for a underground combat dance ensemble?

Fishy.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 15:15 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

Destiny for PS4 controls

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 15:18 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Hmm, no grenades?

Destiny for PS4 controls

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 15:52 (3971 days ago) @ Kalamari

Hmm, no grenades?

It's just the Warlock here. Warlock doesn't need grenades!

Solar Flare - Conjure the power of the sun and release it like a grenade.

Destiny for PS4 controls

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 17:14 (3971 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

Why throw grenades, when you can be the grenade?

Destiny for PS4 controls

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 21:50 (3971 days ago) @ Kalamari

The footage playing behind the interviews is all the same. In that recording the Titan throws a grenade just as he approaches the player. It explodes behind them after a few seconds.

Also, they finish off the Fallen mini-boss with a pulse grenade type thing.

Destiny for PS4 controls

by necro2607 ⌂, Vancouver, Canada, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 15:38 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

So awesome. Being quite the collector of neat little Bungie items like this, is anyone willing to part with one of these? I would be so grateful :) Perhaps a trade? I have some pretty unique stuff such as Bungie magnetic bookmarks and Aerospace stickers!

Destiny for PS4 controls

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 15:49 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Haha, this is fantastic. And the Wave, Point, Dance, and Salute is really cute :D

Destiny for PS4 controls

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 16:02 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Anyone up for a underground combat dance ensemble?

Y'know, I bet the PS4 Exclusive Content is just a ton of unique dances. And maybe this means there will be Kinect/Motion integration? CAN'T WAIT! :D

Destiny for PS4 controls

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 16:16 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I do hope these will be mutable. I'm getting it for Xbox 360 but honestly the controllers are identical button-wise. I prefer melee to be a button, crouch to be clicking the right* stick, aiming to be clicking the left* stick, reloading to be the left* bumper, grenades (or solar flares) to be the right* trigger, and sprint to be a button. Anyone else have control preferences differing from the diagram?

*For some reason, LS is on the side of R1 & R2. Since I don't know the convention, left stick for me is RS on the diagram and left trigger/bumper is L2/L1.

Destiny for PS4 controls

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 21:27 (3971 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I do hope these will be mutable. I'm getting it for Xbox 360 but honestly the controllers are identical button-wise. I prefer melee to be a button, crouch to be clicking the right* stick, aiming to be clicking the left* stick, reloading to be the left* bumper, grenades (or solar flares) to be the right* trigger, and sprint to be a button. Anyone else have control preferences differing from the diagram?

Nah, I usually just learn the default control scheme for each game I play.

*For some reason, LS is on the side of R1 & R2. Since I don't know the convention, left stick for me is RS on the diagram and left trigger/bumper is L2/L1.

Yeah, I think that might be a typo. RS and LS should be swapped to make sense...

Destiny for PS4 controls

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 01:12 (3970 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Technically, clicked sticks on PlayStation has always been L3 and R3.

But yeah, I hope we get new Recon/Bumper Jumper/Etc. I'm OK with these controls in a co-op setting, but I still prefer the traditional Halo controls for competitive gameplay. I don't like Sprint being on a stick if you actually use it a lot, and I know I will since we can slide.

Maybe we'll finally get customizable controls. I wonder if there are any guns that require triggers like the Plasma Pistol. Even then though, PS has had pressure sensitive buttons since at least PS2, (maybe earlier, I only know of Metal Gear using the function)

Destiny for PS4 controls

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 13, 2013, 07:34 (3970 days ago) @ SIX min WHISTLE

Even then though, PS has had pressure sensitive buttons since at least PS2, (maybe earlier, I only know of Metal Gear using the function)

Gran Turismo 3 had it too, much to my demise. How the heck was I supposed to know the stronger you press X, the faster the car goes? It's like saying turning the controller makes the car do sharper turns...

Destiny for PS4 controls

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 16:59 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Looks cool.

Nova Bomb
Solar Flare

I really hope these aren't the extent of the Warlock's magic. Solar Flare looks just like the grenades the other classes probably have. When I think "magic" in an RPG, I think of a myriad of different spells with interesting and unique effects. I don't think of "one or two spells that are functionally equivalent to other classes' abilities." If that's it for the Warlock that's a big disappointment.

Inventory

I like.

Wave, Point, Dance, Salute

I really like. Even if these actions aren't practically useful, I think it shows that Bungie is focusing on the social aspects of the game and aren't just making it a straight-forward (shared) action theme park.

Aim down sights

Dislike. Can someone tell me why Bungie is following the ADS trend? It slows down combat and simplifies aiming. That sounds like I answered my own question, but I'd like to know why they think these are desirable goals.

Destiny for PS4 controls

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 17:07 (3971 days ago) @ Schooly D

Dislike. Can someone tell me why Bungie is following the ADS trend? It slows down combat and simplifies aiming. That sounds like I answered my own question, but I'd like to know why they think these are desirable goals.

Watching the gameplay demo 10+ times it seems that the game does not rely on it for accuracy too much, Staten was easily getting headshots without using it, and ADS he only used when he was trying to make more difficult shots like when the dredge is running away from him. This unlike most FPS that use ADS where you can not at all make headshots consistently without ADS. I am okay with that kind of implementation personally even though I normally don't prefer ADS.

Destiny for PS4 controls

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 17:07 (3971 days ago) @ Schooly D

It slows down combat and simplifies aiming.

Does it simplify aiming? I always found Halo's style of aiming easier and no difference in overall simplicity. Of course, that could just be me and all my oddness.

Destiny for PS4 controls

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 17:09 (3971 days ago) @ Schooly D

Aim down sights

I see no issue with it. Aiming down the length of the weapon gives a player the perception that they'll need to take their time in achieving a kill. Alternatively, one who's running around with their weapon at the hip is making sure that these accurate players are constantly kept on their toes.

The "Public Event" in the E3 demo seemed fast paced. Infantry bottled up in that entrance to the wall's interior probably means that not a whole lot of accurate fire was happening. There should be a lot of suppression/unaimed fire in intense close quarters melees. Fighting at range slows down the battle and makes it a calculated engagement. Closing the distance shows the benefit of both.

Iron sights, at the very least, on everything is much more desirable than only marksmen weapons having any effect at medium-to-long ranges.

Destiny for PS4 controls

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 17:31 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I just don't like how aiming down sights covers up half the screen. I'm not angry, I just can aim a lot better without something obstructing the bottom half of the area I'm aiming at.

Destiny for PS4 controls

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 03:18 (3970 days ago) @ Schooly D

Looks cool.

Nova Bomb
Solar Flare

I really hope these aren't the extent of the Warlock's magic. Solar Flare looks just like the grenades the other classes probably have. When I think "magic" in an RPG, I think of a myriad of different spells with interesting and unique effects. I don't think of "one or two spells that are functionally equivalent to other classes' abilities." If that's it for the Warlock that's a big disappointment.

Oh I was assuming that they chose to only show a few powers per character, and that you'll be able to choose different abilities as your character progressed.

Destiny for PS4 controls

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 17:26 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Very cool! I'm with Schooly, I hope we get more offensive Warlock abilities than the 2 shown. Also, no love for the touchpad?

Destiny for PS4 controls

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 03:22 (3970 days ago) @ Mr Daax

maybe that will be another way to interact with that UI

Dance

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 04:33 (3970 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Bungie just won the FPS wars. :)

Dance

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 11:14 (3970 days ago) @ Kermit

I honestly need to look up my older HBO/DBO posts, I swear I predicted somekind of dance battle.

new meaning for get 'down'

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 05:02 (3970 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

I hope point is more than just an animation

by electricpirate @, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 05:40 (3970 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Ideally point will highlight something in the environment for your fire team, but who knows. Kind of like in Portal 2 co-op.

Where's the button for MURDERMODE?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 05:56 (3970 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

I would totally do hardcore raids to unlock moonwalk

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 07:05 (3970 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 13, 2013, 07:35 (3970 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

They mislabeled the thumbsticks?

by Spawn ⌂, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 07:46 (3970 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Am I the only one who noticed this?

They mislabeled the thumbsticks?

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:07 (3970 days ago) @ Spawn

Am I the only one who noticed this?

Nope. You weren't.

I'll share this here

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:01 (3970 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Supposedly these will be made for the PS4. From @AngryJoeShow

[image]

I wonder where the touchpad will go

Oh, my. That almost sold me

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:20 (3970 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Oh yes please!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:39 (3970 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

I'll share this here

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 11:07 (3970 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Supposedly these will be made for the PS4. From @AngryJoeShow

[image]

I wonder where the touchpad will go

1.) It looks tiny! (look at the size of the USB cable in comparison.)
2.) As you said, where's the touchpad?

Personally, I'll stick with the PS4 controller until a better third party comes out.

On a related note...

People should never have, "I don't like the controller" as a meaningful reason not to game on a specific console.

First of all, you'll get used to any controller if you just use it for a couple of hours.

Secondly, there are usually a whole HOST of third party accessory makers that make X-style controller for Y console. (And I can only see the offerings of such controllers becoming more and more commonplace.)

Don't you mean X-style controllers for P console?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 11:43 (3970 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

...I'll see myself out.

Don't you mean X-style controllers for P console?

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 15:21 (3970 days ago) @ Xenos

...I'll see myself out.

http://youtu.be/sXGzO2aDDRU?t=4m21s

Hmm, that's a PS3 controller in the pic, isn't it?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 13, 2013, 14:28 (3970 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

- No text -

Hmm, that's a PS3 controller in the pic, isn't it?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 14:45 (3970 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah that is the PS3 version, a couple of tweets claim that they are making a version for the PS4 though. But I can't find any official announcements.

It's cool. NsU's post confused me a bit

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 13, 2013, 14:47 (3970 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Apparently most wired PS3 controllers will work on PS4.

by Beckx, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 14:50 (3970 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Beckx, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 14:57

Several outlets asked Sony about this at E3 and their answer was that they felt 99% sure most wired USB controllers should work.

PS3 and PS4 use the same standard USB interface. You lose access to the share button and touchpad (so if the latter is heavily used in Destiny you'll be SOL) but otherwise wired devices should be good to go.

All subject to confirmation, of course.

Sorry about any confusion.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 15:37 (3970 days ago) @ ZackDark

I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWUmt1HXxns

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 10:22 (3970 days ago) @ Grizzlei

So I can customize everything about my character . . . except my control for it?

Seems Legit.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread