5+ years later, Reach still stands as an unmatchable bar? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 11, 2016, 23:57 (3004 days ago) @ Kermit

Custom games and films are features that Destiny 2 really should have. There are expectations at this point from basically every other FPS game out there which have both.

Not to mention Bungie's previous game..

I'm not saying this in a "booo Destiny" way, just wondering if even the biggest Halo fans didn't really appreciate how good we had it with Reach at the time.

I certainly appreciated it at the time, and still do.

So did/do I... But I guess I thought "this is the best one yet... I can't wait to see all the stuff they add to the next one!"

I also thought things like "these features are so awesome, 5 years from now every game will have them!".

So I appreciated in terms of how much I loved the game, but I guess I underestimated how difficult it would be to match Reach down the road. It offered a "total package" in a way that I haven't seen since.

I see your point. I thought it was awesome and amazing, but I didn't think we won't see the likes of this again. No campaign films is still my biggest disappointment of the 343 era.

Yeah, that's a big one. There are a few others that stand out to me as well; fewer custom game settings, no BTB at launch (Halo 5), etc. Not to mention the more subjective stuff. And yet Halo 5 still has way more to offer in terms of features than most games these days.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread