Destiny MLG? I don't think it can happen (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, February 12, 2016, 00:04 (3004 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'll be excited when Bungie drops the treadmill act and gives us custom games and Grognok. In the mean time, I guess I'll suffer through this future expansion, because everyone knows I'll be playing it and will probably enjoy it despite Bungie's best efforts.

I just had a horrible thought concerning custom games & forge. Perhaps Bungie hasn't/won't allow them because doing so would interfere with their ability to give us the carrot of timed / bungie customized PvP events. Perhaps it's not a technical reason, perhaps it's all about player investment, and that sucks.

I think the best reason Bungie could give for not providing custom games at the moment is that as soon as they do, people will organize tournaments. If Destiny isn't ready for competitive play, due to issues like weapon balance, then those tournaments will eventually fail.. and when those balance problems are eventually fixed, it will be hard to regain the momentum and excitement to get Destiny on the competitive scene again.

If I wanted Destiny to succeed as a competitive game that features tournaments and the like, I would hold back custom games until I was confident it was ready. Bungie really still doesn't know what it is doing with Destiny.

I disagree that this would be the reason there are no custom games.

I've posted about it before, but basically I can't see Destiny having competitive play like that because they would have to strip SO MUCH out of armor and weapons and classes to make it viable.

There are so many variables.

For it to work in my mind, you'd have to have something like this:

At that point Destiny isn't really Destiny anymore.

Theoretically, you could possibly make these "MLG" weapons and armor stats separate and unaffected by changes to the general sandbox when they nerf shotguns for the 999th time, but would this be a playlist that comes around every so often, or is it there all the time?

To be competitive, Destiny would need to be SuperSmashBros-Final Destination map-Fox only.

Which is boring. But then again, Smash does have custom games soooooooo...

Fuck.

But yes, like you said, Bungie isn't telling us that Destiny should be played because it is fun. They are telling us to play it for loot and progression. And custom games and Forge are at odds with Destiny's design.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread