5+ years later, Reach still stands as an unmatchable bar? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, February 12, 2016, 22:51 (3003 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I suspect it is because the breaks are so much more severe in Halo 5 than they are in any of Bungie's Halo games... at least as far as I can tell. Again, I don't think it is a big deal, but it does break the immersion a little bit when you're running around a city suspended above the ocean and you know that there is actually nothing at all on the other side of the walls that surround you.

I suppose that's fair, but I still feel like there could have been some compromise that involves not just ditching a fan-loved feature that was in 3 out of 5 of Bungie's Halo games. I was a staunch supported of 343i around here during H5's launch, and I still am, but the lack of campaign theater is, in my mind, a huge mark against them, and it could be argued that it shows that they don't completely understand Halo's audience. Even I can't pretend that they haven't lost a significant percentage of the old hardcore Halo fanbase, and the lack of campaign theater (and the lack of Forge and BTB at launch, the lack of a bunch of old multiplayer game modes, etc.) contributes to that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread