Something that Bungie (and all devs) could learn from DE... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 15:24 (2914 days ago)
edited by Korny, Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 15:46

Even if you have zero interest in Warframe, Digital Extremes' bi-weekly Devstream is a great watch, as it gives a ton of insight into game development, developer relationships with the community, the addressing of issues within the game (and the difficulties that cause delays), and other great behind-the scenes looks into what has been done (and what is to come).

One thing that really stood out to me this past stream was the introduction of the "Bourbon List" (<Creative Director> Steve Sinclair starts explaining it at 23:10 in the video), which is the list of the ten most common issues that the community has brought up since the last major update (along with some lingering issues). Not only are they putting the list up for display (which Bungie could learn to do, in order to let the fans know that their concerns really were being addressed), but they go into detail about how they're going to address these issues, and that is what really got my attention, because they get it. Instead of punishing players, they're fixing things on their own end, which is something that Bungie hasn't done (or has taken far too long to do). "Dracoville" is probably the most pertinent one for Destiny fans, but they are all relevant.

[image]

Bonus: at 44:25 in the Video, they start talking about (and showing off) the community-created content that they're adding to the game. I really wish that Bungie would allow stuff like this, since some of the fan-made stuff is amazing, and Destiny's cosmetic options are often underwhelming.

But yeah, tl;dr, Bungie could be more open about their creative process, and they could let us know that they acknowledge Destiny's problems, and how they plan to address them, even if it's down-the-road solutions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread