You played 1 round... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 16:01 (2790 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing: I play a complete beginning to end session of matchmade Firefight. So a good 20 - 30 minutes. And I've played through Halo 5's campaign at least twice.

But yes, I only played one round or match or whatever then deleted the game. For a few reasons:

- It really did feel like on each new wave the Covenant forces would get dropped off and would mostly stand around. I'd kill a few and die and then most of the time I had to go back to those spots that the Covenant were occupying instead of having them press in on me.

- A few waves in I started get access to vehicles (I used the new flying UNSC vehicle with the machine gun and rockets and later a Mantis) and everything got super boring. I completed maybe three rounds in the air (at least one round with a bunch of Hunters and a round defending a base against mostly Covenant ground troops) and while I took damage over time I was basically king of the entire battlefield outclassing or outmaneuvering. Everything was (literally and figuratively) beneath me! Which meant there was no challenge.

- Later with my Mantis I completed a couple of normal waves, a wave with a handful of scattered Knight bosses, and the final round against the Warden Eternal (which we didn't quite beat) but other than being temporarily EMPed by the Warden's big attack, I again had no real challenge. I think I maybe lost my shields once and don't believe my Mantis was visibly damaged even at the end of the match.

- On foot things played ok, I got flanked nicely by an Elite once and had to retreat a few times, but again this always seemed to only happen once I pushed up. I didn't once get pushed back in that way old Firefight way where you're getting overwhelmed and running low on health and ammo and are trying to get the right stick and attack with the right weapon to disrupt the enemy forces just enough to pick off a key unit and continue to survive.

Ultimately, I think it was a lack of tension and challenge that left me highly disappointed. There's also the small niggle that even as improved as Halo 5 is, it doesn't feel as... right... to me as Destiny does. Very hard to explain because its probably a multitude of little things with the movement and shooting... but all in all I didn't feel the need to play a second Firefight match. :(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread