About feel (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 16:33 (2790 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Ultimately, I think it was a lack of tension and challenge that left me highly disappointed. There's also the small niggle that even as improved as Halo 5 is, it doesn't feel as... right... to me as Destiny does. Very hard to explain because its probably a multitude of little things with the movement and shooting... but all in all I didn't feel the need to play a second Firefight match. :(

We're literally in a thread about how wrong Destiny is feeling at the moment. At 30fps without dedicated servers and a wonky networking model, Destiny holds up fine, but doesn't feel nearly as crisp or smooth as Halo 5 at 60fps and dedicated servers.

To the point of this thread, the UI in Halo 5 makes your bloom perfectly clear no matter if you're ADSing or not. Additionally the audio helps support the variety of actions I do (i.e. sliding actually sounds like I'm sliding). I also really appreciate clamber as the helpless feeling when I get stuck on a ledge in Destiny is super frustrating and robs the game of momentum. You can still nail jumps in Halo without clambering, but when you don't, you can still get where you intended to go. In Destiny if I don't, I just slowly float to the ground and get picked off along the way.

This is all from someone who plays a lot of both games and loves both of them. There are so many things that Destiny has that Halo 5 doesn't, but a good "feel" it does not. I've recently done a frame by frame analysis comparing the two and where actions, like shooting in Halo can take 2-3 frames to "register", Destiny shows 6-12 frames of delay between trigger pull and damage registering on the enemy. Even in one hilarious case I saw a shot register hitting the edge of the geometry (and not armor piercing) and then 3 frames later the damage registering, killing the enemy and their body ragdolling in funky delayed fashion.

If Destiny "feels" better, it's entirely possible it's because you play it a bunch more than you play Halo.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread