Misunderstanding on FFXV Sales Break-even Point (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 07, 2017, 22:41 (2635 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There was a topic awhile ago that FFXV needed to sell 10 million units to break even. Turns out like other statements about games and money (Destiny costs $500 million!) it was misconstrued. Turns out he was talking about their hope for the game, not at what point they would be financially successful, and apparently they broke even the first day of the game being out. We don't know at what dollar value they broke even at, but they sold 5 million copies on day one.

That's great, but the game still sucked donkey balls. I gave up after an hour.

I quite liked it, but I didn't make it more than probably 8 or 10 hours. I found the combat really fun, but I just could not make myself give a shit about the story and the sidequests were all bad and boring.

I know it's a basically a cliche now, but The Witcher 3 really has ruined most other open world RPGs for me. I'm currently about halfway through my fourth play through of that game and still loving every second of it. The attention to detail in that world continually astounds me.

I also started playing Morrowind again a few days ago, and I'm about ten hours deep into it. The combat in that game was always awful, but it's still the only open world game that I think competes with The Witcher 3. The world is varied and interesting, as are the quests (both the main story and most sidequests). Again, it's a cliche thing now, but it's amazing to me how much better Morrowind is than every other Bethesda RPG to follow. It's like they don't even know what it was that made Morrowind so good.

Then again, Pete Hines just said that Fallout 4 was their most successful game ever (but he didn't say how they measure "success," so who knows what that really means), and Bethesda is bigger than ever, so at I guess what they're doing is working for them, even if I have no interest in their RPGs any more. I'm really hoping Elder Scrolls 6 reworks the formula somehow, because I don't think I have any interest in playing Skyrim 2.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread