Rebuttle: Ghostbusters (2016). (Off-Topic)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 12:59 (2582 days ago) @ Korny

INSANEdrive If anyone was expecting this movie to be any good, it's because they haven't seen (or just don't enjoy the cerebral nature of) the Original or it's Early 2000's Televised ilk (that is technically in it's own story arc reality).

----

cheapLEY I have never experienced any former version of GitS. Honestly, when I see the new one at some point, I will go into it expecting a decent Hollywood action movie. I honestly couldn't care less if it's a faithful adaption or not.

Korny Supposedly the film takes elements of all of the GitS versions, which sounds neat, and should make for a solid standalone story if done well.

cheapLEY I think faithful adaptions are overrated. If I wanted faithful, I'd just watch/read the original product. I like seeing new takes on things.

Korny Totally. I'd hate to be the total neckbeard who says stuff like "it ruined my childhood" or "the book/original is so much better". It's that kind of cynical perspective that causes you to go in with a mental checklist of reasons to hate something rather than trying to see what the studio is trying to do with the property, or simply going in and letting yourself be entertained. Sure, I'll pick a movie apart after I watch it, but for the most part, I try to enjoy things all the way through before I do that.

----

I'd say these are fair points, but with reservations. These movies don't seem to me like a re-imagining of an IP, but instead a blatant money grab with the help of name power. If they were a re-imaging, then why so many frame for frame call backs? That isn't for people who haven't seen the original, but those who have! Who WILL be making comparisons! Also by calling it purely GHOST IN THE SHELL, instead of GHOST IN THE SHELL: CYBORG CONSPIRACY or whatever, denotes a comparison automatically as without an original you would not have the copy/remake/re-imagining... unless you've seen the TV show that is. (Did you see what I did there?)

The TV show is a complete re-imagining of Ghost in the shell (through they do use some stories from the manga). The TV show and The 1995 Movie are two different universes of the same thing. Shoot! They recently made a third version called Arise - THAT is a ANOTHER re-imagining. Same backbone, but NEW stuff. New Foes. New story-lines. New philosophies and questions. Even some political intrigue to boot!

This 2017 Ghost in the Shell smashes a bunch of stuff from those three re-imaginings, then re-imagines all of that. I have to say, I find such suspect. It's very... Call of Duty-esk.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread