Somewhat annoying thing to listen to/watch... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 23:46 (2499 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Everything you complained about is basically the point of Giant Bomb, and especially the point of these types of videos. They don't prepare for them--they're intended to be a look at the game without necessarily knowing about everything before hand. How would a new consumer see this game? That's sort of the point. It's way more casual than perhaps is suitable for the folks around here.

It's not just that they don't do the research on the subject that they're talking about, but they basically don't even have a plan about what they'll be discussing, and yet they want to make sure that they never have more than a couple of seconds of silence, hence the "talking just for the sake of talking".
The guy was just, "Oh by the way, I have these videos of stuff we really don't know anything about. Now let's talk about them for 20+ minutes."

I dunno. I mean, even amateur podcasts tend to have a series of things that they plan to touch up on over the course of the thing, which helps plan and/or find segways to different observations and points, even if you have a natural conversation.

I can't and won't tell you what to like, but you're looking at this way too cynically. It's supposed to be fun--these guys aren't Destiny streamers that play full time. Brad has about 300 hours according to Time Wasted on Destiny. That's pretty insignificant compared to most of us, but that's still a whole lot of time played. Of course he doesn't remember what a subclass in Destiny is called--he literally covers video games for a living. He's probably played a thousand other games since the last time he touched Destiny.

Which again, shows how poorly planned the whole thing was. There was no "oh hey guys, our next video in five minutes will be about Destiny 2." "Oh, I should brush up on that real quick, since, you know, I literally cover video games for a living, and should probably know what I'm talking about, at all."

I'm not expecting these guys to spout out Grimoire off the top of their heads, and I can totally understand wanting an outsider's perspective on things... But that guy went to the event, and half of the things that Bungie explained during the presentation with a giant screen showing it behind them (and he got even more behind-the-scenes looks than most of us), he was like "I dunno." Guy who literally covers video games for a living: "They're making a sequel!?"

Seriously?

Anyway, I'm starting to argue too passionately about something that doesn't matter now so I'll call it quits. But lighten up, man.

Oh, you know me, I'm the lightened-uppest guy here, but the way some so-called game journalists coast by on laziness and ignorance needs to be called out every once in a while. It's just bad gaming journalism, and people listen to these guys, which might spread the wrong ideas. They shouldn't be pitching the game and singing praises, of course, but they shouldn't be as clueless as their listeners, and the constant facepalms I was in sure weren't convincing me that these guys must generally know what they're talking about.

I'm not going to tell you what you shouldn't like, but I don't think I'll ever be looking to these guys for a credible outsider's perspective (and that's okay!).

EDIT: Just one more thing . . .

Then again, they sent the guy who's most ignorant about the game to the event, so clearly planning isn't their strong suit.

Jeff was already there for E3 judges week, so he also went to the Destiny event. Don't be thicc.

I don't see how that negates the poor planning aspect. Really just makes them cheap if they didn't think it might be pertinent to send someone else. Looks like they're based in California, no?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread