Somewhat annoying thing to listen to/watch... (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 26, 2017, 13:14 (2498 days ago) @ Korny

At the risk of being the fanboy I'll answer some points here.

I dunno. I mean, even amateur podcasts tend to have a series of things that they plan to touch up on over the course of the thing, which helps plan and/or find segways to different observations and points, even if you have a natural conversation.

Again, that's intentional. It's just their style. They like to let the games speak for themselves by just showing it without planning and let talking points come as they may.

Guy who literally covers video games for a living: "They're making a sequel!?"

Seriously?

That was a joke. It's a sort of running gag they do.

Anyway, I'm starting to argue too passionately about something that doesn't matter now so I'll call it quits. But lighten up, man.

Oh, you know me, I'm the lightened-uppest guy here, but the way some so-called game journalists coast by on laziness and ignorance needs to be called out every once in a while. It's just bad gaming journalism, and people listen to these guys, which might spread the wrong ideas. They shouldn't be pitching the game and singing praises, of course, but they shouldn't be as clueless as their listeners, and the constant facepalms I was in sure weren't convincing me that these guys must generally know what they're talking about.

The thing is, they do. Jeff Gerstmann is probably the most knowledgeable gaming personality around right now. He famously got fired from Gamespot for refusing to change the review score for Kane and Lynch (while the site was covered in Kane and Lynch ads), which isn't necessarily relevant but shows his ethics.

The thing is they're not journalists and don't claim to be. Their primary focus is entertainment, not information. They know there are plenty of places to go for info on new games, so they don't try to compete. Their Quick Looks is sort of a middle ground to show games, but it's still more about watching the personalities than seeing the games. I still think this was a perfect look at how most people probably see Destiny. Most aren't in as deep as we are, and that's important to remember.

I don't see how that negates the poor planning aspect. Really just makes them cheap if they didn't think it might be pertinent to send someone else. Looks like they're based in California, no?

They're in San Francisco. They're also owned by CBS, so maybe they couldn't get approval for sending two people. More likely they just didn't care, as they knew it wouldn't be that important, given that the event was streamed and that everyone would be there getting footage. Giant Bomb isn't trying to compete with all the hot take journalists, so they intentionally don't even try to be like that.

Again, I wouldn't tell you what to like, but you're calling out things that are basically entirely intentional. Looks like GB just isn't for you, fine. I'm not trying to convert anybody. I just wanted to make it clear that GB isn't doing anything that needs to be called out. They're not being lazy or unprofessional or whatever--they're just not trying to serve the same function as IGN.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread