Here’s another one to watch (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 15, 2018, 13:43 (2242 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Nothing like spending $500 on a console and using it to play a decade old game . . .

Heh, at least you're using the darn thing!

I bought a PS4 Pro and a Switch just after christmas, and I haven't used either of them since new years, other than a few games of Mario Kart with my daughter from time to time.

That's the thing. I haven't touched anything but my One X since I bought it. I have a Pro and a Switch as well. The Switch hasn't been used in ages, but I genuinely like the device enough to not just sell it, which I honestly thought about doing. I don't travel much, but the Switch has been nice to have for those rare occasions that I have. Hopefully we'll get another Zelda game on it before Nintendo puts out a new system.

I kinda like the Switch too, but I really should just know better than to buy Nintendo consoles at this point. I haven't liked a Nintendo game in decades. But I bought into all the Zelda hype, played it for a few hours, and thoroughly dislike it. I mean, it's beautiful, but there's just nothing about the act of playing it that I enjoy. I was tempted to try Mario, but I know it'll just be the same. I do enjoy playing Mario Kart with my daughter, but I think that's more because I'm having fun playing a game with her, and less because of the game.

Having a PS4 and an Xbox is sort of dumb in the long run, but I've already spent the money now, and it's nice to know I've got my bases covered for exclusives. That's really sort of why I got a One X--I was itching for a good racing game (Forza!), which PS4 lacks, and rumors of a new Fable and the inevitable Halo 6, I knew I was going to end up with one sooner or later anyway. It doesn't make much logical sense to have both, but it feels right, despite that fact that I haven't even turned the PS4 on in weeks.

Since getting my OneX in late october, it's been my default go to. Games look and run a little better on it... not a huge difference, but enough of one that, well, why wouldn't I play games on it, given that I have the option, y'know? The PS4 Pro closed the gap a bit, but my impression is that Destiny 2 does still seem to look a bit better and run a little smoother on the One X (I haven't seen a single frame rate hiccup on the One X).

PS4 seems to have more exclusives that I care about in general, but none that are coming out right now. So I spend most of my game time lately bouncing between AC Origins, The Division, Titanfall 2, Star Wars Battlefront, and Deep Rock Galactic, all one the Xbox One X.

The biggest pain now is going to be deciding which platform to get games on. I might have to forego getting things at launch and wait for Digital Foundry to do their thing to see which version is better.

Yeah, not a bad plan.

And also, Mass Effect 2 is seriously good. Like, I forgot how good.

Like, SO GOOD. I get goosebumps thinking about it :D

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread