Here’s another one to watch (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, March 15, 2018, 14:15 (2242 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I kinda like the Switch too, but I really should just know better than to buy Nintendo consoles at this point. I haven't liked a Nintendo game in decades. But I bought into all the Zelda hype, played it for a few hours, and thoroughly dislike it. I mean, it's beautiful, but there's just nothing about the act of playing it that I enjoy. I was tempted to try Mario, but I know it'll just be the same. I do enjoy playing Mario Kart with my daughter, but I think that's more because I'm having fun playing a game with her, and less because of the game.

That's honestly sort of where I'm at. I liked Zelda (still haven't finished it though), and think it's legitimately a great game, I just don't like it as much as everyone else. I love the Switch as a device, just not sure how much use it's going to get. My issue with its lack of a d-pad have been noted, so it's out for a lot of indie games, which is a shame, because I'd love to use it for that. It'd honestly make more sense for me to just sell it at this point, but I'm probably not going to.

Mario is weird. I love it, but it's designed pretty annoyingly. It's a legitimately good, challenging platformer, but the actual challenging platforming segments are hidden in the post game behind huge moon counts. You essentially have to play the game for 20 hours to open up the actual platforming bits. And those are legitimately great, but they shouldn't be hidden at the end of the game. I liked the game in general, but it is much more an exploration game rather than a platforming one for the first 20 hours, as you unlock all the worlds.

Since getting my OneX in late october, it's been my default go to. Games look and run a little better on it... not a huge difference, but enough of one that, well, why wouldn't I play games on it, given that I have the option, y'know? The PS4 Pro closed the gap a bit, but my impression is that Destiny 2 does still seem to look a bit better and run a little smoother on the One X (I haven't seen a single frame rate hiccup on the One X).

Monster Hunter World is a standout for me that runs better on a Pro. They just didn't put in the work to optimize on the One X, it seems like. I damn near bought AC Origins again on One X before I came to my senses and realized how absolutely stupid that is. I probably am going to rebuy the Blood and Wine expansion for The Witcher 3 for One X, though. Still no HDR on PS4 Pro for that game.

I'm sure I'll end up with Destiny 2 on One X at some point, too.

PS4 seems to have more exclusives that I care about in general, but none that are coming out right now. So I spend most of my game time lately bouncing between AC Origins, The Division, Titanfall 2, Star Wars Battlefront, and Deep Rock Galactic, all one the Xbox One X.

I played like 4 hours of the trial of The Division. I still have mixed feelings on it. The gunplay just doesn't quite feel right. I really like the game in general, I just don't think the weapons feel all that fun or exciting to use. I'll definitely buy it if goes on sale again like last month.

And also, Mass Effect 2 is seriously good. Like, I forgot how good.

Like, SO GOOD. I get goosebumps thinking about it :D

I'm getting ready to go through the Omega-4 relay. I forgot how much of the game is still left after that point. For some reason I had it in my head that that's sort of the midpoint of the game, but it's definitely not. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to roll straight into Mass Effect 3 when I'm done.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread