Resolution vs Effects (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 01, 2018, 13:21 (2137 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Fire up your PC and play any modern game at 480p and then play it at 1080p and then come back and tell me resolution isn’t important.

First of all: the jump from 480p to 1080p is huge. Way bigger perceptually than 1080p to 4K.

When huge swaths of people are now playing on 60”+ televisions, it’s an extremely noticeable jump. I sit about four and half feet from my 55” and anything at 1080p looks noticeably worse.

Second, of course if you can increase the resolution without sacrificing anything else… go for it. But what’s better: 1080p on high, or 4K on low?

What we’re really getting is more like 4K on medium, though.

My point has always been that in terms of bang for your buck regarding how good the game looks, resolution is very low on the list. On the PS4 Pro anyway, Destiny 2 has some gnarly, downright ugly visuals when it comes to aliasing and the edges of things. Even in 4K! There are areas where Bungie’s trade offs in rendering don’t work very well.

I’ve literally never noticed anything like that. Not saying it’s not there, I just haven’t seen it. 4K is a very worthy upgrade in Destiny, in my opinion. I’d love to see developers put in the work and give console players on the high end systems more PC-like options, though. Most only give you presets (if even that much) and they don’t work well. Look at God of War. It gives you an option to prioritize resolution or frame rate, and neither is perfect. Resolution gives you checkerboard 4K and a mostly stable 30fps. Frame rate gives you 1080 with a terrible feeling 45fps with bad frame pacing. If they gave you the options most PC games have and let me turn down some other settings to hit a rock solid 60fps, maybe it’d be worth it, but it doesn’t, so the frame rate option is awful in that it gives you worse visuals and worse feeling frame rate, even though it’s more FPS.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread