I agree with the idea behind Cody's argument, but... (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 02, 2018, 19:42 (2136 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, July 02, 2018, 19:46

Tl;dr, player choice is the ideal solution (everyone, be more like DE!), but right now, 1080p is the gold standard. 4k is the future, but the race to jump on it comes as a detriment to the player experience.

Also think about the fact that 2K (2048 x 1080) has long been, and still is a cinema standard, where screens are 25 FEET or more. The CGI work in the Martian looked pretty damn realistic on the big screen right? Guess what, it was 2K. It looked so good because they had the ability to spend an hour per frame to render graphical effects.

[image]

Cheaply said he sits 4 feet from his 4K TV set. Assuming he has 20/20 vision, he's just on the threshold of actually being able to see the additional detail. I'm not saying I don't see the difference between 1080p and 4K, but the difference is so incredibly minor for a massive amount of additional work on the GPU.

We could probably have true ray tracing if 1080p was the focus for upcoming hardware.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread