I agree with the idea behind Cody's argument, but... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 02, 2018, 20:04 (2136 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Tl;dr, player choice is the ideal solution (everyone, be more like DE!), but right now, 1080p is the gold standard. 4k is the future, but the race to jump on it comes as a detriment to the player experience.

Also think about the fact that 2K (2048 x 1080) has long been, and still is a cinema standard, where screens are 25 FEET or more. The CGI work in the Martian looked pretty damn realistic on the big screen right? Guess what, it was 2K.

I dunno about all of that tangent, since it has absolutely nothing to do with games or modern gaming hardware, making it moot and dumb.

...but I will say that If you look at Fury Road, one of the best-looking films in recent memory, the 4k release is an upscaled version of a 3K film with 2K effects. Doesn't matter, fantastic-looking film.

And a film like Cloverfield, which recently got a 4K release, looks absolutely terrible, and is at its most enjoyable when you're watching it at DVD quality.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread