I ran Tier 3 last night a couple times (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 12:45 (2056 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It`s silly fun for 10-15 minutes, but I wouldn't say it`s particularly worth the effort that it takes to get a full group together to run it.

Of all the activities of this nature that we`ve seen in Destiny so far, this is probably my least favorite version. Court of Oryx had the fun Boss encounters, Archon`s Forge had way more variety, Escalation Protocol feels way more epic while also providing encounters that give large teams of Guardians the opportunity to coordinate and work together in fun ways.

So far, the Blind Well feels like an activity that you just have to brute-force your way through. You are forced to stand on these circular plates with no cover while hordes of enemies rush at you. It all comes down to whether or not you have the numbers and dps to kill them before they swarm and overwhelm you. So if you go in with a group of 1-3, it just feels impossible. Then at 4-6 players you`ve got enough to handle Tier 1 or 2, depending on everyone`s light level. Somewhere around 7-9 players, the balance just tips and it becomes an utter joke. You barely need any organization or coordination at all, unless you go all the way up to Tier 3.

The thing is, after somewhere around 10-12 completions, I`ve never experienced a good middle-ground with this activity. It either feels impossible, or laughably easy depending on the group size and light levels.

As an aside, I think Bungie`s lack of matchmaking for these activities is just inexcusable at this point. I`ve wandered into the Blind Well many times, hoping to find a group to run the activity with. It never happens. Sometimes I find 1 or 2 other guardians in there waiting, but that simply is not enough to have an honest hope of completing the activity. They kind of got away with it for Court of Oryx and Archon`s Forge. Those activites, while tough for a team of 3, were still manageable. Plus it was common enough to go in with a team of 3 and find 1 or 2 other guardians in the area, which felt just perfect for the activities. But EP and now the Blind Well simply are not 3-4 player activities.I understand if 9-player matchmaking is too problematic, but at least allowing a team of 6 to be queued up together seems reasonable enough, and would make it far easier to engage with these experiences. At least with EP, the activity was so much fun that people would be willing to spend an hour setting up a group, but in my experience, groups in the Blind Well start to crumble real fast, because the activity itself gets old so quickly. It just isn`t worth the effort it takes to get it going, aside from quest and bounty progression.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread