Friendly Fire in Destiny, or "sry i nova bombed ur face lol" (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 27, 2014, 10:05 (3749 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I don't have a hard position in this discussion - just wanted to put together a few random points. These are tied together with nothing more than a relationship to the topic 'friendly fire'.

I argued against turning friendly fire off in many, many discussions, because I feel (as Beorn described) that map control is a big part of strategy, and if you can simply hide behind a crate and fire rockets at your flag while a teammate stays close in to mop up any survivors, it takes away a lot of the challenge of defense. I still feel this way - and I'm glad that 343 has drawn a distinction between Slayer and Objective games, and allowed friendly fire on objectives at least.

I found the words "I LOVE the fact that friendly fire is off" coming out of my mouth a couple of nights ago, when 4 enemies surrounded one friend, and I was able to kill all four (and leave the friend unhurt) with a pair of rockets. I guess in the heat of battle, I'm okay with the immersion-breaking. (At least when it's in MY favor. ;) )

I find that with friendly fire off, I become MORE angry at teammates that find devious ways to teamkill me (on purpose) than I did in, say, Reach. In a game with FF on, a teammate that runs me over is an annoyance. With FF off, the same teammate triggers rage, not annoyance. I'm not sure why.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread