Orbit and Tower are problematic (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Monday, July 21, 2014, 12:31 (3567 days ago) @ scarab

Bungie wants a public place where people can show off their stuff and be sociable but the hassle of getting there and back means that I put off going there as long as I can and when I do go I have specific things I need to do and I concentrate on them.

If I didn't have to decode stuff and put stuff in the vaults then I'd hardly go there.

This, so much. That's why The Tower should be the hub of all activity rather than just a place for certain utility tasks.

Also, is it just me or does nobody bother with the gun selling guy? He sells stuff I can't use or stuff that is significantly worse than anything I already have. If what I suspect is true then Bungie will have the stats to confirm this.

The question with NPC gear vendors is almost always: what role do you want this vendor's gear to fulfil? Is it meant to be a route to reliably getting upgrades? Because that would seem to undermine the main way you get loot in the game (by playing the game!). This was the problem Diablo III's RMAH had, and ultimately it was the reason it was scrapped.

Alternatively, a vendor like this can play a useful role of ‘catch up’ for unlucky players. It's always possible that for whatever reason a player didn't get the gun they really wanted and have fallen behind compared to their level, so at this point the vendor can act as a safety net to prevent players getting too far behind. I suspect it's far more likely that Bungie intended him to fulfil this role, but with the addition of occasionally awesome items being available too (which muddies the water somewhat).

OTOH I do like the 3rd person view of my character - she's gorgeous - I'd shag me.

Creepy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread