Once again investment ruins everything (iron banner) (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 15:54 (3467 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, these problems haven't affected me personally - but most of these patches that have had these unintended affects have just been released. When you have a game with so many variables, like say Skyrim for example, sometimes patches make new mistakes that aren't seen until you have a hundred thousand testers (us) as opposed to a hundred in-house.

Hopefully these new issues that affect you are fixed soon, and in no way am I against pointing these kinds of problems out. But if you want a discussion and not just vent, I could communicate better with you if the posts weren't so loaded, for lack of a better word. :)

To me, investment systems can definitely be lazy, stupid game design, especially in mobile games I've seen people play, but Destiny's investment system just feels like an RPG to me. One that produces problems, but in certain players, not the game itself. It brings out the addicts, the competitors, and especially the impatient, to the point where they're quickly not having fun anymore and are just grinding. Then, instead of sharing about the fun they had that day with the game, or criticize what could be improved, they just vent and complain and act like the fact that they're still playing this shit game at all is a blessing to the developer. Luckily these folks don't hamper my enjoyment in-game. Only on the internet.

But other people can use the same investment system as a skeleton to adventure. To me, leveling and bounties are a make-your-own-mission. "Let's see... I'm going to do the Daily and while I do so I'll beat this boss on heroic, kill 20 enemies in close quarters, and get 100 headshots."

It makes me play the missions I've played a handful of times differently and in doing so, I find new ways to have fun that I wouldn't normally have because these "suggestions" make me change up my playstyle. Just like if I had to defend Captain Keyes in a room being stormed, I'd switch to my shotgun and play swift and fast to make sure no targets get in close to the Captain. With whatever bounties I have equipped, it has the same kind of effect. I load up my scout rifle to focus on headshots and beef up my armor and knife-throw-chains so I can take down the enemies in close quarters.

Afterwards, I go cash in the bounties and upgrade stuff. But it's just a neat little mission-end screen to me. It's not my point in playing. Of course, I hope we start to see new bounties and I'd love to see more variety in them now that I've played this batch for a while.

As for leveling gear, I've never worried about my Hard Light that I randomly got one day (I really can't remember where I got it). During these bounty adventures and strikes with friends, the gun has slowly been improving. Now that I've reached the last column, I have so much Ascendant Energy that I've gotten unintentionally over the weeks, Hard Light just keeps popping up in power with no grinding.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread