Why I Am Done With Destiny (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, January 26, 2015, 00:16 (3381 days ago)

It's not the years, it's the mileage...

The above quote has nothing to do with this topic at all but I like it so I put it at the top. It just feels to me that a topic this final deserves some sort of quote! :p What's really going on is I'm not going to be playing Destiny for the forseeable future for two reasons:

1. Having just beat Crota's end, and having already beaten everything else multiple times, I have now done all the content I wish to do. That's not to say I don't still have fun playing Destiny. I am not burnt out like some around here who often complain to be before they dive back in for another round. Playing by myself is still a lot of fun. Playing Crucible is a lot of fun. Playing Strikes is still very enjoyable baring lag or idiots who take up a player slot while not contributing anything. And playing a Raid with a group of DBOers is still an amazing experience. But, while it is still fun to do all those things... I find myself wanting to play other games and rerunning Destiny has lost some appeal because:

2. I want a few specific items from Destiny's arsenal of exotic guns and armors... two exacty, Red Death and Voidfang Vestments... and there is no way for me to get them other than random chance. In the past two weeks I have run a pair of Raids, four Nightfall Strikes, somewhere between four and six Weekly Heroic Strikes, several Daily Story Missions, and a whole ton of the ROC playlist along with a scattering of Crucible and regular missions turned up to Heroic levels... and despite all that I'm not an inch closer to the items I want. I've said many many times that I don't grind in Destiny, but despite the past two weeks being generally fun they have also most definitely been grinding... so I'm ending it. I will not be playing Destiny again until the debut of the House of Wolves.

DeeJ recently said:

Keep talking to us about what you’re seeing out in the wild, and don’t pull any punches about the things you want us to work on."

My advice then would be for Bungie to give every exotic item the same amount of backstory as The Last Word and give players set, dependable paths to any given exotic through quests similar to the bounties for Murmur, or Super Good Advice, or Thorn. Ideally, the two, backstory and quest mechanics, should strongly mesh hand in hand to provide players with some awesome experiences and terrific stories of daring do. That, and while random chance is good for delighting players from time to time with unexpected rewards... it pretty much sucks as the primary or only method to distribute the coolest gear... :(

Naturally, you'll be seeing a bit less of me around here since I won't have any tales of Destiny successes or frustrations. Maybe when I fully return though I'll have something really interesting to share... at least that's my plan.

See you starside! Be Brave! Etc, etc... :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread