I like your Exotic/Gear idea (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 06:15 (3380 days ago) @ ZackDark

That's true with most, if not all, games.

But with MMOs, their sheer scale demands a level of content generation not currently possible.

3. Making frequent content is not financially viable to keep players routinely playing.

But if the same developers making a whole new game out of the blue is financially viable, your statement is inherently flawed.

A theoretical state doesn't really help here, I think. Evidence seems to support his statement; there's nothing empirical to disprove it, right?

You see, I was trying to argue that making new content for a game and making a brand new game are very similar in nature. In fact, it is of my opinion that making new content for an existing game is actually cheaper than making a new game most of the times.

I was arguing that, if it is financially viable for a company to continuously put out games like CoD on an yearly basis, it is not a stretch to think it would be financially viable to put out new content on an existing game (that has hooks for it, of course) on a bi-monthly basis. I am of the opinion that this argument undermines Cody's statement.

Like Cody kinda already said, CoD is a unique beast with resources unavailable to most. If an MMO could do those kind of numbers, maybe we'd get the game we want. Maybe not.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread