NLB is garbage as a PVP gun (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, February 16, 2015, 09:46 (3380 days ago) @ Xenos

Okay, back to using it in the primary slot: You can use ANY primary in the primary slot and still favor a fusion rifle in crucible. So why would you choose NLB?

Name a single primary weapon that can kill in a one headshot and your point is true. Otherwise it can be quite desirable to have even a bad sniper in addition to a different special as I've already said. As long as your aim is good for the most part you don't need more than a single shot which doesn't make the NLB that much worse than any other sniper rifle, of which you wouldn't be able to use in this situation anyway.

It's not about having a primary that can kill in one headshot. It's about having a primary that is an effective backup to your other sniper rifle that can kill in one headshot. I'd take a sniper secondary with almost any primary weapon over NLB + any secondary, all day every day. Praedith's Revenge + The Last Word, Hawkmoon, or Thorn is amazeballs. Icebreaker or Patience and TIme + Timur's Lash. SUROS + LDR. The Stranger's Rifle + any of the aforementioned snipers. All of these weapon combos are way more deadly than NLB + anything.

Likewise, let's say you're using NLB. You're secondary weapon then would be either a legendary shotgun or a legendary fusion rifle. So would you rather have Secret Handshake + NLB or Secret Handshake + MIDA, Thorn, Hawkmoon, SUROS, The Stranger's Rifle, Timur's Lash, etc..? The *possibility* of a 1-shot kill with NLB is not the same as a guarantee of it, and if you don't hit the head with the initial shot, your time to kill goes from instant to 2 or 3 seconds, which is the same as never, since every other primary weapon has a time to kill of less than 2 (if they're close enough to shoot back) or because it gives them plenty of time to run and hide (if they're too far away to engage you). Even in situations where you do get that first 1-shot kill, you're then defenseless as other players swarm you because of the round chambering animation.

--

Think of it another way: If you're imagining your perfect two weapon combo, regardless of limitations, what is it? Mine is Sniper Rifle + Hand Cannon or Sniper Rifle + Auto Rifle. So I wouldn't want NLB blocking out my hand cannon or AR choices. But let's say yours in Sniper Rifle + Shotgun... Wouldn't you rather have Universal Remote + any other decent sniper than have NLB + a different shotty? I would. So the only situation where NLB is preferred would be if you absolutely insist of playing sniper + fusion rifle. Or if you prefer a better shotty with your worse sniper rifle.

And I ask... Is it worth having a terrible sniper just for the opportunity to use a fusion rifle at the same time? I don't think it is.

Then again, I use my sniper rifle early and often. In reality, it's my preference to sniper first and use other weapons later. Maybe that's why I hate NLB so much. For a sniper that goes in the primary slot, it's far from a weapon you would primarily use. It's a backup to your primary use shotgun or fusion rifle (two weapons I almost never use).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread