*IMO* Bungie really misplayed the RPG elements of Destiny (Destiny)

by JComboBox, Thursday, March 12, 2015, 05:32 (3355 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The majority of FPS games get by fine without number displays. The bars should be there to give you a quick overview of the weapon stats, with the ultimate test be actually using it.

Not showing the numbers may be a style difference in other shooters, but I think people definitely crave that data transparency. There's definitely a trend these days to more data driven analysis etc for games that have some competitive side to them. Just as an example, if you've played a recent COD or Battlefield Game you've used Symthic to evaluate weapons and damage models etc.

I also think people tend to lean towards a more data driven analysis because as games have become more complicated, there are a lot of 'hidden' mechanics that not even the largest and spoon-fed tutorial could ever expose. I think this is especially true in Destiny for the Crucible since there's not really any explanation as to what factors do and don't matter in standard Crucible (Your light level, your armor, the 'bars' vs the attack rating etc). The user base has had to kinda 'figure that out' and I think it hurts.

Also, I prefer seeing the numbers instead of the bars since I just find it easier to compare things. Also, I love graphs and data anlysis
:)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread