Diablo and Destiny... (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, March 12, 2015, 16:35 (3355 days ago) @ nico

You nailed it. Diablo 2 is still far more fun for me to play than D3, but that has more to do with how skills work and the ease of generating new characters. If a version of D2 was released today that had a shared stash and ran on modern OSes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and I'll wager it would out-sell D3 quite quickly.

Other things in D2: Even "crappy" grey and white items would become desirable with the horadric cube. You could turn them into socketed items and upgrade them from normal to nightmare to hell versions of the weapons, thereby creating the perfect rune word item from what would in D3 is a completely garbage drop. Also, rune words let you collect several rare items (runes), and then use them to create an extremely powerful item, but with known properties. Farming runes was the major time sink in D2 as far as gear goes, because rune word items were dramatically more powerful than most other gear (even set items). D3's bastardization of "runes" into simply skill mods hurts my heart and mind.

If you want the game D3 should have been, check out Path of Exile. It's fantastic!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread