I agree, except for the second part. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 20:04 (3284 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Look at the individual raid mechanics. They're pretty stupid easy. We clear Crota in 30 minutes, Atheon in an hour on casual play now. Once you get the mechanics, it's easy. This will continue to be difficult despite understanding the mechanics of the raid.

And the first time doing a raid with no help, how long did it take? Did you even ever DO it with no help? That's my point, and that's the experience that is so amazing. They are easy now because you know them, but figuring them out is wicked fun. PoE has none of that whatsoever.

Vault of Glass opening second is still far and above any other Destiny experience by a huge margin.

That only happens once per player though, if it even ever happens, and most of the mechanics that I wasn't told about I was able to figure out quite quickly.
It doesn't make sense to design around something that only presents once unless you're actually building a puzzle game, and Destiny is not a puzzle game, it's a shooter. (Even in the case of a puzzle game, it's best to have depth beyond one correct solution, which you've talked about at length before with Portal versus Portal 2, weakening your own point with your own words.)
This is all ignoring the fact you've only seen 2 of the 4 rooms and you don't know how many different objectives there are, what they are, or how they work.

It's not a stretch to assume that the objectives will be much simpler than the raid objectives given a) it is a matchmade activity, and b) only 3 players means fewer moving parts.

And as a counter to Cody's argument, I find the best part about the raids is the last time you play it, not the first. Each playthrough is a chance to take what you've learned and do a little better. Try new formations, new weapon and ability combos, get through faster, more efficiently, etc.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread