I can't wait to see the tech talk on the networking

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, June 14, 2013, 03:40 (3977 days ago) @ kidtsunami

But it hasn't been perfect. The challenge of making such vibrant AIs to fight against forced Bungie to make a synchronous networking model for co-op based multiplayer in the Halo games. This caused the slightest network disruption or slow down to cause lag in the game for everyone involved.

That's not even remotely the most annoying thing about the synchronous networking models. The stablest of stable connections in the world can't save you from the constant input lag on everything that isn't looking.

(I'd love to learn how exactly Halo's system handles that client-side looking, by the way. It doesn't totally save the networking, but it's a neat trick).

Considering that they've broken free of their Halo code base, I'm excited to hear about how they've tackled such an interesting problem that is at the core of what they're marketing for the game.

Yep, should be neato. As a coop-focused title, I'm sure they've redesigned the game's systems around a different networking model.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread