Guidelines

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 14:26 (3976 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'm curious what legal walls, if there are any, would prevent Bungie from uniting us all. And if there aren't any legal walls preventing it, then what technical walls need to be smashed down in order to make this happen?

Those legal walls are the real trick. Fundamentally, all 4 platforms are just talking to each other in bits and bytes, and Bungie has absolute control over how those are interpreted at each end. The real trick is being allowed to make that interoperability happen. Microsoft and Sony don't play nice, and the fact that we haven't seen a cross-console multiplayer game before tells me that there's likely some specific legalese to that effect required when you sign on to become a developer. Of course, there's probably also legalese in there to prevent anyone from talking about said limitations.

4-platform Destiny is the holy grail of multiplayer and despite how much I'd love to see such a feature, I don't think the platform controllers will allow it. Let's go, Sony/Microsoft, prove me wrong!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread