For those who find the game to be pretentious... (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 01, 2016, 06:14 (3015 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, February 01, 2016, 06:24

I think The Witness may be the best game I've played in the past decade, bar none. I was looking forward to a Myst-like game from Thekla, but I didn't realize how profoundly deep this game would go. In fact, I'm still figuring some of this out and I've "finished" the game. I don't want to ruin it by calling things out directly, but The Witness has layers upon layers, and everything from the art direction to puzzle design to overarching thematic structure and even the game's title are elegantly tied together and immaculately intertwined. It is nothing short of a masterwork.[/spoiler]

Bullshit. Sorry, but even if that's true the game is no fun, which makes it terrible. The puzzles are all super easy too, and the game pretty much tells you how to solve them by easing you in to them. Over 100 solved and I haven't had to put on a thinking cap yet. If it doesn't get harder soon I'm gonna give up. I'm assuming it gets much harder based on what people are saying, but if I don't like the environment (it is really not appealing), nor the moment (you can't walk off ledges and it sucks getting around), why would I stay to solve the puzzles?

Also Vanquish was released in 2010, so it's pretty much impossible for any other game to be game of the decade.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread