I'm optimistic now. (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 16:00 (2993 days ago) @ Funkmon

Also, I'm really interested to see what industry veterans can really do with new tech like this, which is kind of what Polygon was commenting on with the age stuff. I bet it'll be great.

That's kind of a larger problem in the industry, is it not? When people grow older and want to actually live life and have families and stuff, they can't because it's crunch time all the time and the games industry is so demanding. So you don't often see older developers, which is why Ben was so shocked even though none of them are particularly old.

Even though I am 30, there are rarely editors younger than me at ACE and Editor's Guild functions. Tom Cross is almost 40, and people still call him "Boy Whiplash" after he won the Oscar last year. That gives you an idea of how experience and age is valued in the film industry.

You would think that there'd be more veterans in the games industry who have been there since the beginning, but that just doesn't seem to be the case… especially give the writer's surprise.

Part of me thinks this is why game stories sucks so much on the whole: you have young people who spend too much time in front of computers and don't know anything about life writing them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread