I'm optimistic now. (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 22:37 (2992 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I used to believe that. As someone who liked games I constantly graded their stories on a curve compared what I saw and liked in other mediums. Then I played The Last of Us. The bar has been raised.

I'm not sure that really serves as a counterpoint to what he's saying. While I do believe that there is some added value to the story from actually playing as Joel and Ellie and in a certain manner actually experiencing the story sort of through their eyes, I'm not really convinced that The Last of Us couldn't work just as well, or even potentially better, as a movie. It doesn't really do anything that only a game can inherently do at least as far as story is concerned.

It might be a little unfair to compare film and game stories, because games are not about stories (they are about interaction) thus the story is always support rather than the focus. That being said, you can still look at the types of stories in games and realize that on the whole they do not fare as well as those in other media, discounting the above point.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread