How do you consume games? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 11, 2016, 17:06 (2949 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In a lot of ways, I'm in a very unusual situation. I don't have deadlines, and we do a podcast whenever we have stuff we want to talk about. So I have almost zero pressure to find ways to fill time. I don't know if anyone who listens to our show cares, but I personally feel very strongly about approaching the show as a gamer, rather than someone who's job it is to cover games. By which I mean I never want to talk about something because it's my job to talk about it.

I actually do care about and appreciate that quite a bit. I mean, there's a million gaming podcasts out there from every review site on the planet. I don't listen to IGN's podcasts because it's just another opinion from someone paid to review games. I guess at the end of the day, the folks at Giant Bomb are paid to play and review games, too, but they approach it much better, and they don't seem to rush to hit deadlines for reviews like the major review sites do. And they're podcasts are definitely more laid back, let's just talk about games affairs, and that's why I like them.

I also don't give much attention to written reviews--I still skim through them, but it's honestly much easier, and much, much more beneficial in judging whether I'd enjoy playing a certain game, to just watch a Giant Bomb Quick Look (or one of the million Let's Plays on YouTube of that game).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread