[Concerned Dad Voice] "I'm not mad, I'm just dissapointed" (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 15:42 (3090 days ago)

Let me start off by saying that I mean all of this is the most carefree, light hearted way possible. I know tone can be tough to communicate through text, and I feel like I sometimes come off as more heavy-handed than I mean to, so I want to stress the fact that I say this with a light tone and a love of Destiny in my heart :)

I played through the new "quest" this morning. After I finished, I had to put down the controller for and think for a few minutes. The question rattling around in my brain was "How did this happen?". Forget about the fact that this update is free (I'll get back to that later). Being such a huge fan of Destiny, I'm always happy about the idea of new stuff to do. This update brings some new "quality of life" changes that are very welcome, new toys to play with, and the return of PoE which I know some people are very excited about. For the moment, I'm not thinking about any of that.

I'm thinking about the "quest" that Bungie promoted in their marketing and tried to get us all excited about. On the latest Starside Lounge, Speedracer made the point that this is a great opportunity for Bungie to learn from past mistakes, and adopt an "under promise, over deliver" approach. He said something to the effect of they could give us 3-4 story missions and a strike and that would be fine, but they could surprise us with 7 or 8 story missions and we'd all be thrilled (I'm paraphrasing here).

Unfortunately, I think there is only 1 way to describe what Bungie has given us: The absolute bare minimum.

* April Update quest spoilers from here on out *

The new quest includes:

1) A story mission so short I don't even want to call it a story mission. It's hysterically short.
2) A "kill stuff to collect materials" objective on par with the weaker patrol missions.
3) A short strike (which I personally enjoyed, but it is quite short nonetheless).

That's it. That's the entire quest.

How does this happen in a Bungie game? I'm a HUGE Bungie fan. But the reason I'm a fan is because Bungie consistently makes some of the very best games ever made. Everything they put out is top-tier in terms of quality... or at least it used to be.
I just don't understand how anyone at Bungie could play this new content and say "Yes, this is worth spinning up the hype machine and getting people excited over". I know Destiny players all want more content, but not content for content's sake. That's all this is. It is poor content.

While I'm thinking all this, the other side of my brain is saying "lighten up, it's part of a free update that gave you something to do for 20 minutes. What's the big deal". But I can't shake the feeling that the game is absolutely no better for the inclusion of this quest... if anything, it is yet another sub-par, boring activity that will be quickly forgotten along with half of the year 1 story missions and sub quests. And in the long run, I think that actually makes it bad for the game.

I'm trying to imagine how returning Destiny players feel about this (I'd love to hear from anyone who came back to Destiny to play this new content). I imagine it must feel like a joke. "I jumped back into the game for this?!" Destiny is the sum of its parts... some of those parts are absolutely brilliant, but other parts are not so strong. The last thing this game needs is more sub-par content.

I know... I know... it's free. But you know what else is free right now? Sunset Overdrive. Zombi. DotA 2. About a billion iPhone games that are all better than this quest. Not to mention the fact that we are getting this update thanks to the money some of us have spent on microtransactions. This update is supposed to be the replacement for the paid DLC packs of year 1. I wasn't thrilled with those at the time, but content like this is pathetic by comparison.

I'm not just disappointed at Bungie. I'm disappointed for them. They could have said "you know what, we want to put all our efforts into Destiny 2. We'll keep tweaking Destiny 1 with the occasional balance tweak or maybe a vendor refresh from time to time, but that's it. So you can keep enjoying the game as it is, or you can come back in the fall". They could have done this and lost nothing. There would be complaints, sure... but in the end it would cost them nothing. Instead, they have hyped up the community only to deliver yet another disappointment. And if you think I'm being harsh on them, just wait until Giant Bomb or Gamespot or any other videogame media talks about this. They'll rip this update to shreds. Because in the competitive world of videogames, this content just does not deserve the time, attention, or mind share that Bungie has given it through all their promotion. They could have just released it quietly as a nice little surprise for Destiny players, and we would have said "hey neat, some new stuff and PoE is back!". But the Bungie hype-train seems to be required to blow everything up to 11. Think about the other trailers and announcements at last year's VGAs... did Sparrow Racing really deserve a spot along side the unveiling of Uncharted 4 or Far Cry Primal? It makes Bungie look completely delusional about the significance of their own announcements. Even the return of PoE feels completely overblown. All this hype, and then people play it and realize "yeah, it's PoE. If you liked it before, you'll like it now. If not, nothing much has changed".

Bungie, please... you're better than this. Destiny deserves better than this. An update of this scope deserved a breakdown in TWAB, perhaps a single little trailer. Not a month of multi-media hype and livestreams. And speaking for myself, I'd prefer you add nothing, rather than more filler content like this new "quest". The strike could stand on it's own without the rest of it and be totally fine. The infusion system should have been fixed months ago rather than waiting for a content update to pack it into. Same with crucible balance tweaks. There is good stuff in this update. I love the new armor. The Taken sword looks badass. The game doesn't need junk that gets in the way of the good stuff.

"Diamonds are not polished, they are cut", "concentrated coolness", and all that.

You'll really love the PlayStation exclusive quest...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 15:57 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

-Pick up Quest from Petra.

-Kill six bosses in the Court of Oryx.

-Get Sparrow from Petra.

Never mind that this is the second PS exclusive quest that ends with a Sparrow reward (and at least the Nightsteed looked awesome), but this was literally a daily bounty disguised as a quest.

When I did the Malok story mission, I saved my Super for the final encounter. Shortly after it was charged, the End Mission countdown was already running...

SRL's questline was bigger. Still, I don't play Destiny because I'm eager to play the story (who does at this point?), I do it for the PoE and Crucible, which are all quality stuff for those who like fun.

Best update yet purely for comedy.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:30 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

And speaking for myself, I'd prefer you add nothing, rather than more filler content like this new "quest".

I think you're strange.

Personally:

The quest is great if only for the comedy factor. We had a lot of laughs playing it.

Beginning:
"What mission played backwards do you think it will be this time?"

Middle:
"What do you think the difference between 'subdue' taken and kill taken is?"

End:
"That was shorter than the first half of a VIP patrol mission!"

All to much laughter.

Narc got in a zinger during the strike when Eris warns you about the boss. He did his best Eris impression. "Waaaaaarniiiing! New gameplay mechanic iiiiinnnncoming!" Or something.

Vagueness made me laugh for like two solid minutes during POE. I teared up.

"Seditious Mind? This Hydra committed one of the only crimes mentioned in the Constitution!"

What an awful joke, but so out of left field I loved it.

In my opinion, if you're still playing Destiny, you accept some of Destiny's wonkiness.

You stay for the gunplay and cooperative campaign, but half the fun is ridicule of it. Even Ghost gets in on the action a bit.

If you can bring yourself to lovingly ridicule the game instead of bitch about it, you'll be fine. I'm still going to complain every time they nerf something I like, but I can find a lot of enjoyment in this update because we didn't pay for it.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:31 (3090 days ago) @ Funkmon

'What if the entire quest is just the new strike broken into segments?'

No, even shorter.

Haha. Yeah, that was a good one too! Love that quest.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:33 (3090 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

The Borderlands Effect.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:34 (3090 days ago) @ Funkmon

Game gets more fun the less it takes itself seriously.

Not saying that I want Destiny to be a zany shooter with insane children, but going into it with a smile and a few laughs is the way to do it. VENUS BABY!

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:45 (3090 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:43 (3090 days ago) @ Funkmon

And speaking for myself, I'd prefer you add nothing, rather than more filler content like this new "quest".

I think you're strange.

[image]

;p

Personally:

The quest is great if only for the comedy factor. We had a lot of laughs playing it.

So this all sounds hilarious, but that's just because you are playing with great people. I would much rather play a well-made activity with friends so I can enjoy the company AND the game I'm playing :)

In my opinion, if you're still playing Destiny, you accept some of Destiny's wonkiness.

Not how I see it at all. I don't accept crappy content, free or not. This quest goes so far that I actually find it a little insulting, and also concerning. Everything Bungie releases is a statement from them. They are saying "we think this is good enough for you".

You stay for the gunplay and cooperative campaign, but half the fun is ridicule of it. Even Ghost gets in on the action a bit.

I'd really love to see the game take itself a bit less seriously. I love it when the characters play into the silliness of everything a bit more intentionally.

If you can bring yourself to lovingly ridicule the game instead of bitch about it, you'll be fine. I'm still going to complain every time they nerf something I like, but I can find a lot of enjoyment in this update because we didn't pay for it.

I can lovingly ridicule "It came from the moon" because it is funny and silly and playful in a way that I enjoy. I can't lovingly ridicule the actual gameplay content itself, because if that part of the game isn't good, then what am I playing it for? And I think I covered my thoughts about it being free in my OP :)

It is good. It's just short.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:48 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

You're wrong and you should feel bad ;p

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:57 (3090 days ago) @ Funkmon

In what universe can that possibly be considered a good quest? Is the mission well designed? Are the objectives fun or interesting? Is the story compelling or entertaining in any way? Does it do anything at all that we haven't done a million times already in the same locations?

Destiny's core gameplay is fun as heck. But this quest does nothing to justify its inclusion in the game. It does absolutely nothing above the usual Patrol experiences aside from the boss at the end of the strike.

As I said in my OP, I actually enjoyed the strike. It's not great, but I think the sheer number of low-level enemies they throw at you is kind of fun in the same way The Abyss can be lots of fun (although The Abyss is way more exciting). But the quest is so bad that it actually deflates the experience for me. Worse than that is the level of hype Bungie tried to build in anticipation of it.

If the quest had just appeared as an icon in the director with no mention or fanfare from Bungie, I would have played it, rolled my eyes, and never thought about it again. But the level of marketing geared around this update feels completely unnecessary to me.

It's fun, like a bite of pizza is still good.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 17:24 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Kill stuff, chase guy. Same Destiny formula, still fun.

Thanks. Now I want Pizza :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 17:38 (3090 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Bad communication. That's all this boils down to.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:42 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Bungie has absolutely not learned from their mistakes. When they talked about it on the Starside Lounge, I actually laughed out loud at the pure optimism displayed in thinking they'd deliver even two or three full story missions.

I haven't played it, but I'm sure the quest is fine. Like you said, it's a new twenty minutes worth of something to do. It's probably not even worth mentioning in the marketing though.

Eve the PoE update, while arguably decently significant and pretty cool, isn't worth all the fanfare they gave it. Giving it three streams and all the hype and expectations along with it makes this update seem like a much, much bigger event than it even comes close to approaching.

The way Bungie is marketing these things is making it an absolute guarantee that people will be disappointed. It's like they're doing it on purpose for some stupid reason. I have a hard time believing that they could be so out of touch as to think their current strategy is making anyone feel good.

Maybe it really is only about money, and if their hype machine brought only a small percentage of the population back to buy some Silver, they're getting what they want, and screw actually making people feel good about playing. That's cynical, more so than I'd like to believe, but they're making it awfully hard for me to believe anything else.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:45 (3090 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't think you understand. The new quest is less than two minutes long and half of it is running to the place with the enemies.

You can get the items from step 2 running that quest two more times. The strike is about 8 minutes long on the second playthrough, maybe 12 on the first. That is the entire new story.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:48 (3090 days ago) @ Funkmon

I don't think you understand. The new quest is less than two minutes long and half of it is running to the place with the enemies.

You can get the items from step 2 running that quest two more times. The strike is about 8 minutes long on the second playthrough, maybe 12 on the first. That is the entire new story.

Aaaaand yet you're defending it ;)

Like a fun sized candy bar.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 17:37 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Also...

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 17:05 (3090 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Bungie gets their money from new players. This is geared at retention, sure... but retention is also geared to rope in more purchasers.

Once destiny 2 comes out they get to hit reset and have everyone re-buy from scratch. Until then, they are updating to get more sales primarily, not just to make the playerbase happier.

Regarding the quest... I suspect they had 1-2 developers work on making the quest for a month or two. Then farming out art and audio assets. They are still gearing up with the live team. In a year I'll be worried if the live team doesn't significantly deliver. I think their updates will of necessity be smaller.

I also think bungie had a misstep and needed more "content" for in-between than they expected. They crossed their fingers and over-hyped it. I'd love to hear if this actually did what they were hoping it would. Because I'm darn sure that their primary goal isn't for us hardcore fans getting free content over and over. To be clear, I do think that is a goal of theirs. But it comes second to the almighty dollar, which is primarily new game sales.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 04:36 (3089 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Giving it three streams and all the hype and expectations along with it makes this update seem like a much, much bigger event than it even comes close to approaching.

I don't think you guys understand. Universal Remote AND Lord of Wolves.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 05:05 (3089 days ago) @ stabbim

I need to break out Universal Remote and turn my regularly devastating Cloaky Hunter into a Blink Shotgun Cloaky Hunter of Infinite Infinitly Annoying Doom. Once more. :)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 13:19 (3089 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I need to break out Universal Remote and turn my regularly devastating Cloaky Hunter into a Blink Shotgun Cloaky Hunter of Infinite Infinitly Annoying Doom. Once more. :)

I would love to start using universal remote again. Not to mention, Shotty sidearm domination anyone?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 13:32 (3089 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I would love to start using universal remote again. Not to mention, Shotty sidearm domination anyone?

I like the way you think :)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 13:35 (3089 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I like the way you think :)

I mean, who ever wants to do hand cannon shotgun? Those people are posers!

[Concerned Dad Voice] "I'm not mad, I'm just dissapointed"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 16:44 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

How does this happen in a Bungie game?

I've explained numerous times why this would happen. Just read my past posts :-p

[Concerned Dad Voice] "Go back to the basement, son"

by Kuga, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 17:07 (3090 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

[Concerned Dad Voice] "I'm not mad, I'm just dissapointed"

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 17:06 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Agreed.

Except for Sparrow racing. That was a wonderful surprise and, unlike this April Update, added something fun. Maybe it wasn't for everyone but, to me, it felt substantial and new in a way most of the content here doesn't. Plus, it dropped good loot, it had some neat sparrows, some fun goals to go after, and nice custom blinking armors.

But yeah... I want good content. I will pay for good content. Please Bungie, give me good content. :(

I wonder

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 18:18 (3090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I wonder how people would feel about this update if they had brought sparrow racing back with some minor tweaks to the loot or something?

I wonder

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 19:21 (3090 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I can only imagine that they're holding a new season of Sparrow racing in reserve for the long gap between now and the end of the year.

I wonder

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 19:43 (3090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Even with no changes, I'd still like to see sparrow racing return every so often. Make it a rotating weekly event like the iron banner maybe? Heck I'd even be happy for a random daily featured playlist that was SRL.

Screw that.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:47 (3090 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Even with no changes, I'd still like to see sparrow racing return every so often. Make it a rotating weekly event like the iron banner maybe? Heck I'd even be happy for a random daily featured playlist that was SRL.

Make it Permanent. Why not? I'd play it.

Screw that.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 21:00 (3090 days ago) @ CyberKN

IB works because it isn't permanent. If it was always live, the community wouldn't gather around it and play for a week together. I think the same mentality goes with SRL. Remember when rocket race was new? It was awesome and everyone played it. Remember what became of it after it became a regular feature? The playlist was mostly empty.

That being said, I'd like for SLR to be an option all the time, but maybe have a special tournament every other month or so to bring the community together.

2 week SRL every quarter please, or 1 week every 2 months.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 21:05 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

+1

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 21:07 (3090 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

+2

by naturl selexion, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 01:10 (3090 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Screw that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 21:19 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

IB works because it isn't permanent. If it was always live, the community wouldn't gather around it and play for a week together. I think the same mentality goes with SRL. Remember when rocket race was new? It was awesome and everyone played it. Remember what became of it after it became a regular feature? The playlist was mostly empty.

So why isn't Destiny designed this way? Why is it designed to be played in perpetuity instead of in one intense chunk like Iron banner? Would that not be better? You'd have people gather and rally around the game and story for two weeks or so, then when it's over leave and come back when we get something else great.

Screw that.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 21:45 (3090 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So why isn't Destiny designed this way? Why is it designed to be played in perpetuity instead of in one intense chunk like Iron banner? Would that not be better? You'd have people gather and rally around the game and story for two weeks or so, then when it's over leave and come back when we get something else great.

IB is fundamentally the same each time. You want new content each time which is different. Also, Crucible doesn't disappear when IB isn't around and that is an activity no one wants to disappear between stretches. That being said, I think Destiny already does what you said. People gather around new content and play it and then dwindle off. I have periods where I'll play a lot, and then I'll take the good portion of a month off.

I think you take the "Destiny is supposed to be played all-the-time" logic a bit too far. Just because there is the option to do things a million times over doesn't mean it is designed to be played all the time. Yeah, they want to keep people playing because that helps with matchmaking, retention in terms of $ when they do release paid content, etc... but, I don't feel pressured to play all the time. Some people choose to (against their own stated desires), but they have control over the rate of consumption and that is on them, not Bungie. No one is forcing anyone to play the dailies/weeklies/raid over and over again. You have the option, but you don't need to. If it's fun? Do it. If it isn't? Don't.

I guess I think you've fundamentally misinterpreted Bungie's intent. They want a game that you could play at any time, not a game you have to play at any given time.

I don't get it.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 21:21 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

But SRL is so DIFFERENT from other activities in Destiny. What you're saying is akin to "Don't have Nightfalls/Raids available every week, because people will stop playing them."

That being said, I'd like for SLR to be an option all the time, but maybe have a special tournament every other month or so to bring the community together.

^This would be rad

Sorry to interrupt...

by yakaman, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:44 (3090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I can only imagine that they're holding a new season of Sparrow racing in reserve for the long gap between now and the end of the year.

...but what happens at the end of the year? Destiny 2?

Sorry to interrupt...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:46 (3090 days ago) @ yakaman

...but what happens at the end of the year? Destiny 2?

There is a new major expansion planned for release this fall.

Expansion #2

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:46 (3090 days ago) @ yakaman

Dissecting Frogs

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 18:01 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 18:50

A frog is a wonderful thing. We can marvel at how it functions and how it is specifically adapted to its ecosystem. If we saw a frog for the first time, it would be really cool to see it jump for the first time. How does it make those noises and why? Did it just eat a fly by shooting its tongue out? That is awesome! But if we're more curious, we might want to see how everything works. What parts of it's body allow it to perform so well. Eventually you open up the frog and you've figured out how all the parts work, but you've got a dead frog. It no longer elicits marvel.

I agree with you and with what Cheaply is saying too.

The reception of this type of content has so much more to do with gauging expectations. If this had been announced on twitter last Wednesday with the words, "come by and visit on Tuesday" it could get hype, but it wouldn't balloon into the expectations we got. Honestly, I love the new PoE and the strike, but it isn't worth a month of announcements.

The mission is comically bad in context. But what if Bungie had only told us about the crucible changes and the gun updates before this launch? If the mission just showed up the on the Director and led to a new strike, everyone would be talking about how they just got to do a new thing they were surprised by, rather than feel like they somehow got slighted by free content. Light Level change? Imagine if they hadn't announced the new system but let people discover by playing that they were starting to get gear above 320? Let people have at it until the Friday weekly update and then explain in fine detail the nuances of the leveling system. Chroma? put the content into the the initial download, but don't activate it until after it is explained in the update so people don't spend money on a system they don't understand. Everyone is excited and Bungie scores a win in the community goodwill column.

Contrast that to what we experienced and you can see the problem. We experienced a dead frog. We received lectures and diagrams explaining exactly what would happen in every system before it even arrived. Rather than enjoying it for what it is, we already knew the mechanisms that would allow us to min/max our time to get loot.

However, this isn't totally Bungie's fault. The Destiny community, unlike any other gaming community I've been a part of (which isn't vast), wants everything explained in detail ahead of time. Or at least, Bungie thinks they do. I have no numbers to back this up, but I'm betting that the majority of players would be fine to be kept in the dark, but there is a vocal portion of the community that needs to know everything ahead of time and that portion has the avenues of communication to shift Bungie's behavior.

[edit] I should add that I'm part of the problem and I consumed the hyping materials. For what it is worth, I'm really happy with the content. I just think I would have enjoyed it more had it been a surprise. It is appropriate for Bungie to hype TTK, but this type of content might warrant a different delivery method.

TLDR: I wish Bungie would stop sharing so much.

Very well said.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 18:14 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Interesting point.

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 19:37 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

So, I actively ignored the hype until the 4 minute trailer came out just before the patch. I thought it was all just going to be filler, to allow us to continue on the treadmill until substantial content came out.

Then I watched the trailer. And I started to hope, to get excited.

I'm already over it. heh. Well, I should say, I'm over the new content. I'm not quite over how this will change my destiny gameplay and approach.

Let me back up a sec though. I feel as though challenge mode ruined raids. The focus is never "let's do king's fall". It's now "let's do challenge mode X". I actually wish that challenge mode was a bit more... challenging, and came up as a separate activity. Maybe that wouldn't fix anything... but as it stands now, that's killed the "raiding experience", at least for us PS4 late nighters.

The new Prison of Elders Challenge mode is also in this direction. I feel like they have a void where the nightfall used to be and they are trying to fill it with PoE challenge mode. As has been mentioned it's a bit grind-y, even out of the gate. But meh, that's fine. I guess.

Note that I feel as though the old PoE being brought up in light level is fine. It's a footnote though as it's not different, other than the taken variation I suppose... And even that is all or nothing rather than different rounds on different strikes. I get the feeling that they wanted to have a questline into the prison to clean out the taken, then be able to do PoE as normal, but never got that far before this release. Would have been cool as a bounty-enabled destination like a few of the missions recently did rather than totally random.

Anyhow. I really like the way that I can pick and choose when I run things in Destiny. But Destiny is built around a social framework, and since I enjoy end-game types of things like IB and Trials where "light matters" and there's essentially no matchmaking, I'm pressured into a social kind of schedule.

I have no doubt that come Friday I'll be seeing 335 players on the other end of my gun in trials. It'll be like 305 vs 315s -- noticeably different because "light matters". So I'll be pressured to play more content in an order I don't want to play in to be competitive at a skill level I'm already barely at. Which is fine, I can do that... but it's not particularly an ideal experience.

Sometimes I feel like "light matters" is code for "grind harder if you want to play in a competitive environment".

Still looking forward to the new winter's run strike, surprised that I'll have to go find it myself rather than get a quest to go there. =)

Interesting point.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:13 (3090 days ago) @ slycrel

Sometimes I feel like "light matters" is code for "grind harder if you want to play in a competitive environment".

That's really interesting to hear. The way I'm experiencing it (and the way I think Bungie intended it) is that there are now more avenues to reach the max light level than ever. It is freeing and allows me to play the game however I want.

Your experience is that the widening of the gates to get to max light is less freeing. Instead you feel obligated to do other things than your preferred activity in order to stay competitive in the one you do enjoy.

I don't know a way around that for Bungie other than to create an alternate ToO where light doesn't matter.

Interesting point.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:18 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

In general, the idea behind light leveling in PvP has always been a bad one.

Either:

1. Max level is so easy to get to it becomes a mere formality, and the advantages don't matter because everyone is the same level (House of Wolves).

2. Max level is hard to get and confers a significant advantage, so it requires grinding to play PvP.

3. Max light is hard to get and confers little advantage, so why bother (Taken King).

All of these scenarios are bad. The idea is stupid and always has been.

The problem is that Bungie's put into a bit of a predicament

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 19:48 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Bungie used to share little, and that was annoying, but fine.
Now fans want constant communication. They want to know everything about what's in store, and get mad about Bungie's lack of communication. So when Bungie starts sharing (in detail) what's in store, and they try to get us excited for it, we end up disappointed.

I think it's because we expect them to be showing us the tip of the iceberg, rather than the whole thing. Sure, they could have toned down the marketing and the hype (did we really need three highly publicised streams?), but they were doing what we've demanded of them for so long.

I think another problem is how they communicated the new stuff, with interviews, screenshots, trailer after trailer, and just a whole lot of general fanfare, when they could have totally "under-promised and overdelivered". They could have definitely handled it better.

Time for my obligatory Warframe comparison. When Update 18 was going to be released (they average a major Update every few months or so), DE talked about the changes, balances, tweaks, and such, but also announced that they would be releasing their first cutscene-assisted quest that would be lore-based. Fans expected a short, experimental questline that would introduce some characters to the universe (as previous quests had) and would answer some questions, but DE overdelivered, with a story-heavy set of missions that touched on lore from nearly three years ago, answered many of fans' oldest questions, and introduced a number of new mechanics to the game, permanently changing the game's universe, despite the seeds and clues having existed since the game was in closed Alpha stages.

Watching people's reactions to Update 18 is great. The feedback was universally positive, because they did tell us what they had planned, and then completely overdelivered anyway. THIS is how players should react to new content (Massive spoilers, but nothing really makes sense if you don't play the game):

Essentially my same reaction...

Probably the most common reaction:

"How the f*** was this not found out about before?" should be the way people react to the content included in your update. Few games have really had as much of an effect on me in their entirety as this one quest had on me.

And it was just one quest. To see what Bungie's definition of "one quest" is in this April Update, is disappointing by its very nature (The entire thing is done in under 20 minutes, and pretty much nothing has been learned or changed). The big difference is that DE didn't hype it up at all, outside of asking folks not to post spoilers about it for at least a couple of weeks (making a dedicated forum page for it), whereas Bungie had a month-long build-up to it with bells and whistles.

The content is great, of course, the Nightfall strike is fun, the Prison is neat, the changes, balances (Warlocks still #1!), and updated gear makes for a great update, but they shouldn't have hyped it up so hard. Fortunately my expectations were a bit more reserved, and subsequently met, but Bungie could still learn a thing or two...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:05 (3090 days ago) @ Korny

All good points.

To me, the biggest problem with this update is that the 1 thing they stayed fairly quiet about, the quest, is so insignificant that it can barely be considered "content". They didn't keep it mysterious so that we'd have fun digging into it ourselves, they stayed quiet because there is no way they could have told us anything without revealing how pathetically minimal it is. It feels like lying-by-omission to me.

I somewhat disagree

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:22 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

To me, the biggest problem with this update is that the 1 thing they stayed fairly quiet about, the quest, is so insignificant that it can barely be considered "content". They didn't keep it mysterious so that we'd have fun digging into it ourselves, they stayed quiet because there is no way they could have told us anything without revealing how pathetically minimal it is. It feels like lying-by-omission to me.

I think they should have never even mentioned the word quest. Than we would have experienced it like the Sleeper quest. Nothing particularly amazing, but something that leads to a new strike/piece of content. No one would have had the expectations of it that we associate with the word quest. I don't think it's lying by omission. That seems too harsh- especially when we're talking about free content. I think it was just presented in the wrong manner.

I somewhat disagree

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:45 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I think they should have never even mentioned the word quest. Than we would have experienced it like the Sleeper quest. Nothing particularly amazing, but something that leads to a new strike/piece of content. No one would have had the expectations of it that we associate with the word quest. I don't think it's lying by omission. That seems too harsh- especially when we're talking about free content. I think it was just presented in the wrong manner.

I don't see that big of a difference between what we're saying. I absolutely agree that "Quest" is the wrong term to use in terms of the expectations that come with it, but it is the term Bungie chose to use.

To be clear, I was not expecting anything big or elaborate. I was expecting 3 or maybe 4 steps including the Strike. I was expecting 1 story mission, maybe 2. I figured they'd throw in some kind of patrol objective as part of the quest.

But when I assumed they would only have 1 story mission, I did not expect this laughable excuse of a story mission. When I thought we'd get a patrol-oriented step, I thought it would at least be a new unique target or mini boss. And while I enjoyed the strike, it is easily the shortest and simplest strike in the game in terms of length and variety.

We know bungie is not shy about keeping things close to the chest when they feel it is important. In the lead-up to TTK, they were very secretive about the Raid. But they still told us it was the biggest raid yet, communicating something about its scope and scale.

When Bungie tells us that the April Update will include a new quest, that is a very vague piece of information. It could mean a 6 or 7 step process that will take hours to complete and cover a wide range of activities. Or it could mean even less than what I thought the bare minimum would entail.

All in all, I think we mostly agree. I also feel they would have been better off just sneaking this thing out as a little surprise for current players.

I somewhat disagree

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 21:39 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All in all, I think we mostly agree. I also feel they would have been better off just sneaking this thing out as a little surprise for current players.

I don't even think they had to be that sneaky about it. They could have just said, "We're going to update PoE, add some new loot, add new customization options, and raise the light cap." They could have still posted screenshots of the new Chroma stuff, the update PoE, etc. Then they would still detail the weapon balance stuff like always. Maybe even detail the way infusion works now.

People would probably be ecstatic if that was all they knew about this update and got to figure out the exact stuff first hand. That would have been underpromising and over delivering. Bungie is just bad at messaging.

I somewhat disagree

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 01:33 (3090 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Bungie is just bad at messaging.

They didn't used to be. I don't know if it's direction from higher up (probably) or if DeeJ just likes to hear himself talk (almost certainly) ... Either way, I miss Frankie, and I know URK is still there but I miss him too.

I somewhat disagree

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 02:51 (3090 days ago) @ Mid7night

Bungie is just bad at messaging.

They didn't used to be. I don't know if it's direction from higher up (probably) or if DeeJ just likes to hear himself talk (almost certainly) ... Either way, I miss Frankie, and I know URK is still there but I miss him too.

Honestly, I don't know that they were ever "good" at messaging. Sure, we got the Weekly Updates with Frankie and Urk during Halo development cycles. But that was always just interesting bits and bobs, gee-whiz info, and teases about how good the water looked. It was honestly a great interaction that made the fans feel involved without actually saying a whole lot. And that's fine (and honestly something I wish they would go back to, as do a lot of people, judging from this thread).

But I don't think it'll ever go back to being like that. The Destiny community is vastly different from what the Bungie-era Halo community was. The Destiny community (or at least the loudest in that community) seem to want constant updates about the smallest details. Bungie has never had to (or never elected to) try and communicate in that manner before. As I said, I honestly think it'd be hugely beneficial if they didn't even try, but it's very clear that Halo-era Bungie is not the same as Destiny-era Bungie. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing--companies and the people within them must necessarily grow and change.

I just hope they get better at it, and I've honestly gotten to the point where I won't optimistically hope for anything they've not straight up declared is happening, and even then, if their words can be interpreted to mean different things, the thing I'll expect will undoubtedly be whatever the lesser of those interpretations is. That's sad, but it's the reality I've been presented with.

Like CruelLEGACEY said about his own posts, my posts always tend to come off as extremely critical and down on Bungie and Destiny. But I'm really not. I've enjoyed my time with Destiny, and I plan on enjoying more time with it in the future (this weekend even!). It's great, and I don't truly think that Bungie has some sort of nefarious purpose--they just need to somehow set expectations a little better. I realize that I'm ultimately responsible for my expectations, but I still just feel like Bungie is overselling things all too often, whereas I don't feel like they did that for Halo. Maybe it's just rose-tinted glasses looking at bygone days when I was younger and had the luxury of time to enjoy everything I wanted, but, whatever the cause, real or imagined, it feels different.

I somewhat disagree

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:15 (3089 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I realize that I'm ultimately responsible for my expectations, but I still just feel like Bungie is overselling things all too often, whereas I don't feel like they did that for Halo.

Real time reflections in the Master Chief's visor anyone? The Halo 2 announce trailer had better graphics than Halo 3
:-)

I somewhat disagree

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, April 15, 2016, 01:46 (3089 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I realize that I'm ultimately responsible for my expectations, but I still just feel like Bungie is overselling things all too often, whereas I don't feel like they did that for Halo.

Real time reflections in the Master Chief's visor anyone? The Halo 2 announce trailer had better graphics than Halo 3

I still cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would give a damn about a feature you'd only ever see in cutscenes anyway.

I somewhat disagree

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 15, 2016, 03:11 (3089 days ago) @ narcogen

I still cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would give a damn about a feature you'd only ever see in cutscenes anyway.

Technically you'd see it in co-op play.

I somewhat disagree

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 15, 2016, 02:36 (3089 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is that the original Downgrade-gate?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:28 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All good points.

You need to temper your expectations a bit. Prior to Destiny's release, I expected much more because it was being hyped as such, and because the game had been in development for 4 years. There wasn't any indication it couldn't happen.

Now we know the tools have major problems and content creation is simply very difficult for them. We also know that it is in general time consuming and hard to make FPS content anyway. It's not possible for really cool new stuff unless it is worked on for a long time and you pay for it. The game is also set up in such a way that generally precludes long involved story missions.

78 days and counting, and I couldn't be happier about my decision. I don't know about everybody else, but I really feel in my case that stepping away then coming back when we get a large drop is going to make me more fond of the game and more willing to play it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:37 (3090 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All good points.

You need to temper your expectations a bit.

You don't understand... my expectations were low going in. Very low. When Speedracer was talking about 3 or 4 new story missions as part of the quest (on the latest Starside Lounge) I was quietly thinking to myself "there's no way". I half expected 1 story mission and a couple other little objectives leading up to the strike. Maybe some unique patrol targets or something. But I can't call this a story mission with a straight face. Remember the Dark Blade strike? Remember the very beginning where you kill some wizards and about 10 Thrall before the first door parts open? That's about the entirety of this mission. It's so half-assed, so tacked-on, that I'm surprised it actually made it into the game.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, April 18, 2016, 12:10 (3085 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But I can't call this a story mission with a straight face. Remember the Dark Blade strike? Remember the very beginning where you kill some wizards and about 10 Thrall before the first door parts open? That's about the entirety of this mission. It's so half-assed, so tacked-on, that I'm surprised it actually made it into the game.

It's essentially "Walk for 30 seconds and kill this guy. lol, j/k. You'll have to play the strike to kill the guy."

I like a lot of the stuff they've added with this update. PoE is fun, and I like that we have a reason to run the full KF raid again, but that story mission was a joke.

-Disciple

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 18, 2016, 12:39 (3085 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

But I can't call this a story mission with a straight face. Remember the Dark Blade strike? Remember the very beginning where you kill some wizards and about 10 Thrall before the first door parts open? That's about the entirety of this mission. It's so half-assed, so tacked-on, that I'm surprised it actually made it into the game.

It's essentially "Walk for 30 seconds and kill this guy. lol, j/k. You'll have to play the strike to kill the guy."

I like a lot of the stuff they've added with this update. PoE is fun, and I like that we have a reason to run the full KF raid again, but that story mission was a joke.

-Disciple

"It was so short, that it could fit into the Xbone's DVR... Solo. With unleveled gear. With the loading screen!"

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:40 (3090 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All good points.

You need to temper your expectations a bit. Prior to Destiny's release, I expected much more because it was being hyped as such, and because the game had been in development for 4 years. There wasn't any indication it couldn't happen.

Now we know the tools have major problems and content creation is simply very difficult for them. We also know that it is in general time consuming and hard to make FPS content anyway. It's not possible for really cool new stuff unless it is worked on for a long time and you pay for it. The game is also set up in such a way that generally precludes long involved story missions.

78 days and counting, and I couldn't be happier about my decision. I don't know about everybody else, but I really feel in my case that stepping away then coming back when we get a large drop is going to make me more fond of the game and more willing to play it.

And yet, earlier you were lamenting that by the time you experience the content in the fall, it wouldn't be fresh or relevant (though as was mentioned, the less-relevant content is still played). Destiny is a game where the ideal rate to consume content is as it is delivered. It will simply NOT be a game where a ton of content is released in one go and it remains fresh for months on end. Especially not with such a small live team handling a product that (as you said) is difficult to make content for either way.
If you're going around repeatedly telling everyone how happy you are that you're not playing Destiny, it comes off as an anxiety that you're missing out on stuff, not that you can't wait to experience it all in the fall. If that were the case, you just wouldn't be talking about it.
Just a thought...

But yes, lower those grand expectations (heck, I'm not expecting Warframe to blow my mind again for a good long while, and they have yet to disappoint with an update. Bungie's track record is... Not as great.).

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:44 (3090 days ago) @ Korny

If you're going around repeatedly telling everyone how happy you are that you're not playing Destiny, it comes off as an anxiety that you're missing out on stuff, not that you can't wait to experience it all in the fall. If that were the case, you just wouldn't be talking about it.
Just a thought...

I mentioned it because I feel it might be a strategy for some people here expressing dissatisfaction. Maybe they should try a break. If I were anxious about missing out, you and I both know I would simply log on and do it and make an excuse. After all, I quit before Taken King then came back.

There's nothing to miss out on. The ultimate experiences are still ToO and the Raids. Neither of which are getting any new stuff in the update.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 08:11 (3089 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's hilarious that you're counting the days.

When do you get your first chip?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 14:36 (3089 days ago) @ narcogen

It's hilarious that you're counting the days.

When do you get your first chip?

Oh I'm not on THAT program. It wanted me to submit to a higher power, namely the Traveler, and I know there's something shady going on with him.

Cold Turkey!

How I imagine Cody

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 14:41 (3089 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Slightly NSFW: swears at the end.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:31 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All good points.

I see it the other way: it's honesty. The thing they talked the very least about is the most insignificant thing.

Similarly, I don't understand how these streams were a hype marketing train. They were all pretty matter of fact and straightforward. They showed a trailer. They showed live gameplay. They explained the changes they would make. They did some terrible "surprise" reveal reactions, but at the end of the day it was just saying there is a third page of the vault.

I was expecting very little and felt no hype from bungie (I literally forgot it was update day until the day of when I say a post. I even scheduled an unrelated fire team event for last night.)

I remember from January they have been downplaying these filler updates, right?

I skipped the TW@B posts since I spent so much time watching the stream so maybe they were more bombastic?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:33 (3090 days ago) @ Vortech

There really is a critical mass for these things though. Sometimes something small is worse than nothing at all. I don't see it as a reaction to the hype, because I was expecting less as it is, but a reaction to not hitting the level needed for fission and the fun bomb igniting. No critical mass, no explosion.

The medium is the message

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:45 (3090 days ago) @ Vortech

Similarly, I don't understand how these streams were a hype marketing train. They were all pretty matter of fact and straightforward. They showed a trailer. They showed live gameplay. They explained the changes they would make. They did some terrible "surprise" reveal reactions, but at the end of the day it was just saying there is a third page of the vault.

You are 100% right. All they did was explain things. You can see my post to see why that in itself is kind of lame, but even more so, the medium in which they explained things was the exact one they used for other major content releases. That colors expectations more than the words they used.

I'm only reflecting on how my sense of joy is heightened when there is stuff to discover. Sure my participation in communities like this makes it very likely that I will know everything beforehand and that is definitely on me. That being said, when the town crier goes down my street, its hard to ignore him.

Exactly.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 21:44 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

The mere fact that they devoted three streams over three weeks makes it seem like a hefty, important update, when they could have honestly just mentioned it through the TWAB and dropped it to arguably better effect.

Exactly.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 23:07 (3090 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm not happy with this update, but in Bungie's defense, I think they plan to do live streams going forward as just yet another way to engage their community. They didn't build their twitch studio just for the last three streams, I don't think. Really, I think the complaints about the April Updates getting streams are more us, a community used to text updates and occasional big important streams, not yet adapting to the new normal.

Exactly.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 02:55 (3090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Really, I think the complaints about the April Updates getting streams are more us, a community used to text updates and occasional big important streams, not yet adapting to the new normal.

I actually truly had not looked at it like that before. There's probably a lot of truth in that.

If that's truly the case, I definitely don't like it, but I guess I can accept it. It still feels like unnecessary overproduction and over-hype to me, and I'm not sure it ever won't, but I suppose I'll get over it given time to adjust if this is how they always present new information going forward.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:32 (3090 days ago) @ Korny

I think it's because we expect them to be showing us the tip of the iceberg, rather than the whole thing. Sure, they could have toned down the marketing and the hype (did we really need three highly publicised streams?), but they were doing what we've demanded of them for so long.

This paragraph sums up exactly how I feel.

This song is dedicated to the Destiny Community:

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:49 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

This paragraph sums up exactly how I feel.

This song is dedicated to the Destiny Community:

I'm not so sure I agree with this. The community wants to know what's coming in general terms, yes. The community wants to know every tiny detail when it comes to weapons/balance tweaks, absolutely. But I don't agree that the community wants to know every last detail of every new addition that is coming. I think the community wants to know the scale of what's coming, simply so we can set expectations accordingly.

Fair

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:54 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think the community wants to know the scale of what's coming, simply so we can set expectations accordingly.

You're not wrong. I think Bungie is giving us what they think we want in terms of the breakdown of stuff, previews, etc.

I was just being a bit tongue-in-cheek with my response.

Fair

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:55 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I think the community wants to know the scale of what's coming, simply so we can set expectations accordingly.

You're not wrong. I think Bungie is giving us what they think we want in terms of the breakdown of stuff, previews, etc.

I was just being a bit tongue-in-cheek with my response.

And I appreciate that :)

Looking back, I actually meant to reply directly to Korny's post, but roped yours in along with it lol

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 20:58 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm not so sure I agree with this. The community wants to know what's coming in general terms, yes. The community wants to know every tiny detail when it comes to weapons/balance tweaks, absolutely. But I don't agree that the community wants to know every last detail of every new addition that is coming. I think the community wants to know the scale of what's coming, simply so we can set expectations accordingly.

Bungie (or perhaps my expectations) could really have benefitted from a few adjectives.

A short mission.
A small strike.
A quick quest.

I wasn't expecting much, but the strike, mission, and quest all seemed really small. I guess I was expecting them to be 1.5 - 2 times the length. I equipped some gear at the start of the mission and felt like I missed out on 1/4 of the mission by the time I caught up to Cyber & Marmot

Either less more often, or more less often.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 01:04 (3090 days ago) @ Korny

Bungie used to share little, and that was annoying, but fine.
Now fans want constant communication. They want to know everything about what's in store, and get mad about Bungie's lack of communication. So when Bungie starts sharing (in detail) what's in store, and they try to get us excited for it, we end up disappointed.

I sort of agree.

I can't really defend the new content the way Funk does, as bite-sized fun, at least not as presented.

It doesn't justify its inclusion.

It isn't really about the price, it's about timing and expectations.

This is the kind of thing (with the possible exception of the new Malok unit, which doesn't get used that much, really) you'd think we could get far more often with little or no fanfare.

The one new "story" mission and one collect patrol are the kind of thing I'd absolutely welcome-- if I just turned on the game one day and it was there. A few enemy placements, some scripting... why can't that happen every month? Every week?

I can't figure out whether this was supposed to be something on the scale of House of Wolves and then got cut down, leaving us with one boss, one "story" mission and one strike, or whether this was always the plan. It certainly follows the HoW/TK blueprint; introduce new boss, boss runs away, do missions/quests to catch up with boss, capture or kill boss in a one or two-phase activity that has a singleplayer ending in a story mission and then a multiplayer ending in an endgame activity (PoE/Raid).

It seems to me that using existing units, geometry and gameplay mechanics, we could be getting less substantive "missions" far more often (we are now seven months since Taken King and two since SRL) or more substantive ones less often-- even if that means just waiting for Destiny 2 at this point.

This seems to sit in an uncomfortable space between these two options. I think the inclusion of this content along with the most recent balancing patches and light level increases helped raise expectations beyond a reasonable point.

I'm not really sure what Bungie can do about any of this, though. There would be those who would complain about getting no new content until Destiny 2, despite what we say here. There would be those who would complain about this content whether it was "hyped" in advance or not.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 02:02 (3090 days ago) @ narcogen

That's kinda what I don't understand. Exactly how hard is it to plop down some units and make a couple of scripts that say "when units in wave 1 are dead: Spawn wave 2"? Because that's all we really got... and we only got one of those.

Maybe there really is some horrible technical issue that prevents Bungie from rapidly making even the simplest missions?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 03:06 (3090 days ago) @ Ragashingo

That's kinda what I don't understand. Exactly how hard is it to plop down some units and make a couple of scripts that say "when units in wave 1 are dead: Spawn wave 2"? Because that's all we really got... and we only got one of those.

Maybe there really is some horrible technical issue that prevents Bungie from rapidly making even the simplest missions?

I mean, at this point . . . can they at least just put the Blades of Crota and Packs of Wolves in some sort of rotation? Maybe it's not easy to do, but it always seemed like they could do neat little events like that every so often (instead of one of them stay around for months). Throw a Cabal landing party into the Cosmodrome for two weeks, the Hive invade Venus for two weeks, etc.

I know it's easy to play armchair quarterback about stuff like this, but you'll never make me believe they don't have the resources to do better than they are with stuff like this.

If microtransactions are really funding stuff like we've been getting, I've not received my $20 worth yet.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 14:39 (3089 days ago) @ narcogen

Confession: I kind of find the streams (at least the hype-centered ones) boring. I don't really want to know much about what's coming.

I'd like an approach that treated Destiny more like a place that's alive--where things happen that you don't see coming (except perhaps for hints and teasers that seem to come from within the universe) rather than Destiny the Game, this year's model on the car lot (which is better than last year's model because of x and y bullet points), with DeeJ often having the unfortunate job of company sign spinner.

Of course this approach requires a long view, a plan, seeds planted early, and the patience to see them sprout. It might also require the mighty Oz aka Bungie to stay behind the curtain more often. I still like to think Bungie does have a plan and seeds have long been planted. What are you going to do, though, when so many of your fans want constant transparency and do treat Destiny as merely a service that must be responsive to their ever-changing wants and desires? Maybe transparency doesn't make people as happy as they expect it to.

I've had zero interest in Warframe, but after watching the reaction video Korny posted, I'm interested, or wish I had been interested from the start. I want that--a reason to care about the universe, and a chance to be surprised, delighted, and have my mind blown.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:31 (3089 days ago) @ Kermit

Don't take that as gospel. Remember how excited Broman was when he used the Mythoclast and it did the exact same amount of damage it did before.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:08 (3089 days ago) @ Korny

Can you give me the context for that reaction? I will never play warframe so I don't care about spoilers. Can you explain what is happening and why people would be so surprised and excited?

Perfectly Sized Update

by squidnh3, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 22:13 (3090 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Nice and small. Seriously, Destiny is too much fun to get big content updates all the time. I was excited for this, but also apprehensive that it might be significant enough to prioritize over other things. Now I can consume this amount of content (and all the TTK stuff I haven't finished yet) at my leisure over the next 4-5 months, while still enjoying summer activities.

It's getting beautiful outside in my part of the country. If you are disappointed with not having enough to do in Destiny, I totally suggest (non-facetiously) that you try to get some fresh air instead.

+7

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 04:00 (3089 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

x 10973731.568539(55) 1/m

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 04:06 (3089 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by Funkmon, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 04:10

- No text -

Perfectly Sized Update

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 05:49 (3089 days ago) @ squidnh3

It's getting beautiful outside in my part of the country. If you are disappointed with not having enough to do in Destiny, I totally suggest (non-facetiously) that you try to get some fresh air instead.

First of all, I live in Toronto... the weather here is not so good at the moment ;p

2nd, you're assuming I don't already do other stuff :) I say this lightheartedly; but saying "if you don't like it, go outside" isn't exactly the most constructive line of conversation, is it :) I've got more than my share on my plate these days (as I'm sure many of us do). I don't think it's bad or unfair to expect more from our video games (or movies, or books, or tv, whatever). Some people can just play a game or watch TV and say to themselves "I'm not completely bored, so this must be good!". I'm not one of those people. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I just can't help but think about all the time and effort that goes into a release like this, all the excitement and hope from fans (even while keeping expectations in check). And I look at the final product and can't help but feel "this really should be better, coming from Bungie". It's not a big deal at all. That's just how I feel about it, and I share those thoughts. Maybe I shouldn't ;p

Perfectly Sized Update

by squidnh3, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 14:40 (3089 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

First of all, I live in Toronto... the weather here is not so good at the moment ;p

I'm in southeast Michigan, so it wasn't too different. By beautiful I really meant, "at least 50 degrees (F) and sort of sunny."

2nd, you're assuming I don't already do other stuff :) I say this lightheartedly; but saying "if you don't like it, go outside" isn't exactly the most constructive line of conversation, is it :)

Yes, and I was actually trying make a more subtle point than that, but failed. I love outdoor activities, and spend a lot of my summer visiting amusement parks and playing games and sports outside. But, I also really love playing Destiny. I find both of those types of fun activities to be equally valid ways of spending time, but the difference is that having fun playing Destiny is way easier to do. You don't have to plan, you don't have to drive anywhere, you don't really get tired. And it can be really hard to resist just doing the easy thing that's just as fun. Do I put a bunch of effort into convincing my friends to meet up at a bar on a Friday night, or do I just sign up for this FTB Trials event and play Destiny all night? I'll have a great time either way, but when one thing starts happening way more than the other one...it's important to try to keep a balance.

Do I understand the disappointment in what the update ended up being? Yeah, I can see why people are a little confused and upset. I'm not especially happy with the Crucible changes. But for now, this seems like a great time for Destiny's gravitational pull on me to be reduced for a few months. That's the point of view I was trying to share.

Perfectly Sized Update

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:28 (3089 days ago) @ squidnh3

I've got plans for this summer. In the morning, walking to the bakery and buying bread and Rock & Rye while listening to The Fountainhead audiobook. In the afternoon, I'm going to sleep. At night, I'm going to do telemascopes. At 2 AM, I'm going to stand outside the bar in a dress to see if someone will take me home. Then start it over again.

Hopefully Destiny's got some updates that will take enough of my time that I don't have to resort to doing astronomy and can concentrate on my true passions.

I've seen the dress, it isn't pretty.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:49 (3089 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

See my response to Kermit's post :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:35 (3089 days ago) @ squidnh3

You and Kermit are both making great & similar points, so I wrote 1 reply for both of you :)

Perfectly Sized Update

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:00 (3089 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

2nd, you're assuming I don't already do other stuff :) I say this lightheartedly; but saying "if you don't like it, go outside" isn't exactly the most constructive line of conversation, is it :) I've got more than my share on my plate these days (as I'm sure many of us do). I don't think it's bad or unfair to expect more from our video games (or movies, or books, or tv, whatever). Some people can just play a game or watch TV and say to themselves "I'm not completely bored, so this must be good!". I'm not one of those people. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I just can't help but think about all the time and effort that goes into a release like this, all the excitement and hope from fans (even while keeping expectations in check). And I look at the final product and can't help but feel "this really should be better, coming from Bungie". It's not a big deal at all. That's just how I feel about it, and I share those thoughts. Maybe I shouldn't ;p

I appreciate your post and squid's. I'll say this, though. If Bungie fails in making Destiny compelling enough to be my daily hobby that's a good thing in my book. Life is short. I don't want Destiny to be my daily hobby. I've got other games I want to play for one thing, but beyond that, other, dare I say, more important things to do. As does everyone, I assume.

Perfectly Sized Update

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:34 (3089 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:38

I appreciate your post and squid's. I'll say this, though. If Bungie fails in making Destiny compelling enough to be my daily hobby that's a good thing in my book. Life is short. I don't want Destiny to be my daily hobby. I've got other games I want to play for one thing, but beyond that, other, dare I say, more important things to do. As does everyone, I assume.

I want to reply to your post as well as squid's at the same time here, because I think you are both making great points and my response lines up to fit both.

Destiny has become something unique for me, both because of the nature of the game itself and how it fits into my life at the moment. Specifically speaking, my life as a new dad. I love being a father, but there are certain elements that I have found particularly difficult to deal with. Above all else, it has been a very socially isolating experience for me. Opportunities to go out and see friends are few and far between. I might go out socially once every 4 or 5 months at best. And when I do see my friends, much as we love each other, there is a bit of a disconnect because I am in such a completely different life space than any of them. That's issue number 1.

Next: All my life, I have enjoyed competition. I was fiercely into sports all through highschool, and continued to find ways to be both active and competitive as often as possible in the years after. Since having a child, that has come to a grinding halt. I manage to get to the gym 2 or 3 times per week, even if its just so I can run for 15 or 20 minutes. It's not as much as I'd like, but at least it is a bit of physical activity. However, that does nothing to scratch my competitive itch.

Final issue: my "me time" is all but non-existent. From the moment I wake up at 7:30am, I've got my hands full taking care of the little one, then going to work, then coming home to take care of the little one again, putting her to bed, then watching a little TV with my wife so she doesn't feel completely ignored. I honestly don't get a moment to myself until about midnight. I've always loved videgames... they have consistently been one of my favorite ways to blow off steam and escape the pressures of real life. So when I do get a little time to myself, playing a videogame is often near the top of my list.

What makes Destiny so special for me is that it helps me deal with all 3 of these issues at the same time. For the most part, Destiny is my social life. It's literally the only time I get to spend with friends for weeks or even months at a time. Playing Trials and Iron Banner may not be physically demanding, but it scratches my competitive itch. And finally, hour or two with Destiny each day is the only "me" time I really get, and I find I really need it. That bit of fun and fantasy helps me greatly when it comes to getting through the rest of my day.

All of this to say, I absolutely hear what you and Squid are both saying, and I generally agree with you. I just want to explain why Destiny has become a more important part of my life than I ever really thought a videogame could :)

Perfectly Sized Update

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, April 17, 2016, 22:57 (3086 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Very thoughtful post, Cruel. We agree on a many things. I'm not very competitive, but the social aspect of Destiny is a big part of why I play. Not only to play with many friends I've made on bungie.org over the years, but Destiny provided the first real opportunity to play with two of my best friends who I've known since before I ever played a Bungie game (that's a long time ago, folks). It's why I try to keep characters leveled on two platforms.

Destiny is weird. I want the story to grab me, but I swear it's a bit of a relief that that aspect doesn't engage me like I assumed it would. I don't need more reasons to play. Balance is hard to find in life, but your role as father is probably the most important role you'll ever have. Cherish that. I also know that you have artistic ambitions, and speaking as someone with similar goals, the Raga solution has crossed my mind. I try to pay attention and make sure I have good reasons to play Destiny. I will never again try to keep six characters leveled up. I may not even keep two by the time we get to year 10. There are other prizes to keep my eye on.

Kermit

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread