Perfectly Sized Update (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:34 (3089 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Thursday, April 14, 2016, 15:38

It's getting beautiful outside in my part of the country. If you are disappointed with not having enough to do in Destiny, I totally suggest (non-facetiously) that you try to get some fresh air instead.

First of all, I live in Toronto... the weather here is not so good at the moment ;p

2nd, you're assuming I don't already do other stuff :) I say this lightheartedly; but saying "if you don't like it, go outside" isn't exactly the most constructive line of conversation, is it :) I've got more than my share on my plate these days (as I'm sure many of us do). I don't think it's bad or unfair to expect more from our video games (or movies, or books, or tv, whatever). Some people can just play a game or watch TV and say to themselves "I'm not completely bored, so this must be good!". I'm not one of those people. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I just can't help but think about all the time and effort that goes into a release like this, all the excitement and hope from fans (even while keeping expectations in check). And I look at the final product and can't help but feel "this really should be better, coming from Bungie". It's not a big deal at all. That's just how I feel about it, and I share those thoughts. Maybe I shouldn't ;p

I appreciate your post and squid's. I'll say this, though. If Bungie fails in making Destiny compelling enough to be my daily hobby that's a good thing in my book. Life is short. I don't want Destiny to be my daily hobby. I've got other games I want to play for one thing, but beyond that, other, dare I say, more important things to do. As does everyone, I assume.

I want to reply to your post as well as squid's at the same time here, because I think you are both making great points and my response lines up to fit both.

Destiny has become something unique for me, both because of the nature of the game itself and how it fits into my life at the moment. Specifically speaking, my life as a new dad. I love being a father, but there are certain elements that I have found particularly difficult to deal with. Above all else, it has been a very socially isolating experience for me. Opportunities to go out and see friends are few and far between. I might go out socially once every 4 or 5 months at best. And when I do see my friends, much as we love each other, there is a bit of a disconnect because I am in such a completely different life space than any of them. That's issue number 1.

Next: All my life, I have enjoyed competition. I was fiercely into sports all through highschool, and continued to find ways to be both active and competitive as often as possible in the years after. Since having a child, that has come to a grinding halt. I manage to get to the gym 2 or 3 times per week, even if its just so I can run for 15 or 20 minutes. It's not as much as I'd like, but at least it is a bit of physical activity. However, that does nothing to scratch my competitive itch.

Final issue: my "me time" is all but non-existent. From the moment I wake up at 7:30am, I've got my hands full taking care of the little one, then going to work, then coming home to take care of the little one again, putting her to bed, then watching a little TV with my wife so she doesn't feel completely ignored. I honestly don't get a moment to myself until about midnight. I've always loved videgames... they have consistently been one of my favorite ways to blow off steam and escape the pressures of real life. So when I do get a little time to myself, playing a videogame is often near the top of my list.

What makes Destiny so special for me is that it helps me deal with all 3 of these issues at the same time. For the most part, Destiny is my social life. It's literally the only time I get to spend with friends for weeks or even months at a time. Playing Trials and Iron Banner may not be physically demanding, but it scratches my competitive itch. And finally, hour or two with Destiny each day is the only "me" time I really get, and I find I really need it. That bit of fun and fantasy helps me greatly when it comes to getting through the rest of my day.

All of this to say, I absolutely hear what you and Squid are both saying, and I generally agree with you. I just want to explain why Destiny has become a more important part of my life than I ever really thought a videogame could :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread