The problem is that Bungie's put into a bit of a predicament (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 19:48 (3090 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

TLDR: I wish Bungie would stop sharing so much.

Bungie used to share little, and that was annoying, but fine.
Now fans want constant communication. They want to know everything about what's in store, and get mad about Bungie's lack of communication. So when Bungie starts sharing (in detail) what's in store, and they try to get us excited for it, we end up disappointed.

I think it's because we expect them to be showing us the tip of the iceberg, rather than the whole thing. Sure, they could have toned down the marketing and the hype (did we really need three highly publicised streams?), but they were doing what we've demanded of them for so long.

I think another problem is how they communicated the new stuff, with interviews, screenshots, trailer after trailer, and just a whole lot of general fanfare, when they could have totally "under-promised and overdelivered". They could have definitely handled it better.

Time for my obligatory Warframe comparison. When Update 18 was going to be released (they average a major Update every few months or so), DE talked about the changes, balances, tweaks, and such, but also announced that they would be releasing their first cutscene-assisted quest that would be lore-based. Fans expected a short, experimental questline that would introduce some characters to the universe (as previous quests had) and would answer some questions, but DE overdelivered, with a story-heavy set of missions that touched on lore from nearly three years ago, answered many of fans' oldest questions, and introduced a number of new mechanics to the game, permanently changing the game's universe, despite the seeds and clues having existed since the game was in closed Alpha stages.

Watching people's reactions to Update 18 is great. The feedback was universally positive, because they did tell us what they had planned, and then completely overdelivered anyway. THIS is how players should react to new content (Massive spoilers, but nothing really makes sense if you don't play the game):

Essentially my same reaction...

Probably the most common reaction:

"How the f*** was this not found out about before?" should be the way people react to the content included in your update. Few games have really had as much of an effect on me in their entirety as this one quest had on me.

And it was just one quest. To see what Bungie's definition of "one quest" is in this April Update, is disappointing by its very nature (The entire thing is done in under 20 minutes, and pretty much nothing has been learned or changed). The big difference is that DE didn't hype it up at all, outside of asking folks not to post spoilers about it for at least a couple of weeks (making a dedicated forum page for it), whereas Bungie had a month-long build-up to it with bells and whistles.

The content is great, of course, the Nightfall strike is fun, the Prison is neat, the changes, balances (Warlocks still #1!), and updated gear makes for a great update, but they shouldn't have hyped it up so hard. Fortunately my expectations were a bit more reserved, and subsequently met, but Bungie could still learn a thing or two...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread