This ^^^

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, June 24, 2013, 03:57 (3952 days ago) @ Malagate

I registered on the forum today just to show enthusiasm for this idea.

That would be so cool.

Also, thanks to everyone who has been linking to articles and what-not, and also for the good discussion (even if I've only been just observing it until now).

[image]

Achievement Unlocked: [Convert one Lurker]

Great to have you here!

There are lots and lots of things that are possible with the technology available that I'm not sure very many developers have tried.

At first, my hope was that we'd see Destiny do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE,

And while I'm not holding my breath for that exact result, the mere fact that we've seen the ways Bungie have stretched their abilities over their last several releases, it really does seem that they're poised for something great.

I think it's curious that we haven't seen much talk of how many players are supported in the gamespace, though. The Public Event we saw had multiple fire teams, but I wonder if Bungie is setting their sights on 16 players in a combat situation being the sweet spot for how they'll utilize the engine. Of course, many more than 16 players will populate the common areas in The Tower, and I would think space combat would be less resouce intensive than throwing 64 pairs of boots on the ground, which we know other developers have tried. I guess it depends on the particular scenario. Asteroid fields, etc...

But I digress.

It's always great to see new folks around these parts. Hope you stick around.

~M

When I read the first articles about Halo I remember imagining a multiplayer shooter much like Starsiege: Tribes with massive pitched 64-player battles across open terrain. Maybe there will be a bit of that in Destiny, but the Bungie networking guys are definitely going to have their hands full just implementing all the ambitious seamless matchmaking stuff with a relatively moderate number of players. I'd rather see that done well.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread