This is another reason not to pre-order (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 16:57 (2827 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't get it. Bungie should know the exact number of people who pre-ordered the game. That means they should know exactly the capacity required. Right?

Unless a large amount of people like me bought the game at 1:50am, but I doubt it. Seems like they should have been able to predict capacity very accurately.

I know I've been on Reddit too much of late because I immediately looked for a way to give this some upvotes.

I wonder if we couldn't make a small fortune by leasing temporary login server time to video game companies who insist on foolishly rolling out their games simultaneously across the world rather than in a staggered fashion to reduce server strain. All they need to do is rent some server time from Amazon AWS or something for like a week.

Game companies are constantly saying things like "we sold 10 million copies so we will need to be able to have enough servers for 4 million concurrent players" totally ignoring the fact that at least 5 million of the players will all be logging on at the same damn time on launch day.

Another way to fix this issue is to stealth release it. Open up RoI 12 hours earlier and you give everyone the opportunity to log in as soon as they find out it's up, but that would naturally result in a staggering of login attempts rather than all of the attempts happening at once.

Lastly, MMOs of all stripes should have public test realms. HOLY SHIT WHY DOESN'T DESTINY HAVE THESE? Find and fix the problems before the game launches. There aren't enough testers in the state of washington to properly test an MMO-type game let alone enough at Bungie.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread