This is another reason not to pre-order (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 13:40 (2826 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can buy the game the next day and still get home before the servers are up, but you'll have missed the rage-inducing failure of the company to adequately plan for the massive influx of new logins.

This is also another reason why staggered launches are easier to manage than releasing something to the entire world all at once.

Some of the reactions in this thread are more rage-inducing to me than any failure on Bungie's part.

It's perfectly justified. Travel back in time to 1985 and tell someone you have to wait in line to play a game on your home console. They would laugh and call you crazy.

Because it is crazy, and people who are okay with it are bad people and not helping.

I didn't say people should be okay with it. There's plenty of good people who were frustrated, I'm sure. The very best people, though, the most helpful people are those who rushed to the internet to post snark.

You want to hear some crazy stuff about 1985? No stores selling games were open at 5 am and if they were, you'd still have to drive back home. When you did, maybe your game didn't work. Without Twitter all you could do (after you tried blowing on the cartridge of course) was call your buddy down the street to see if his copy worked. You then drove back to the store and they told you to take it up with Nintendo. You mailed it back on your dime. Six to eight weeks later you got a replacement.

One good thing about 1985: it was much easier to avoid others' whining, cynicism, sarcasm, and self-righteousness.

Personal note: I didn't plan to but I woke up at 5 a.m. to the alert on my Xbox that ROI was now available. I also was disappointed that the servers were down. Got back on around 7:30 am and everything was fine. A tiny blip as far as my Destiny experience goes. People are excited to play, and I can understand their frustration. I felt that, too, and I also felt some compassion for the IT people at Bungie, and hoped that this wasn't a DNS attack or some major hardware failure that couldn't be foreseen. I could do armchair quarterbacking, but I know nothing about it and I think it's presumptive to assume this was some kind of failure of planning on Bungie's part. You can't plan for everything. Individuals make mistakes. Shit happens. Also: these are game servers we're talking about here, not life support systems.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread