+1 (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 26, 2016, 01:12 (2747 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Are all the current Raids dumbed down because Bungie doesn't require the people you Raid with be your lifelong friends who are playing in the same room as you?

Actually, probably, yeah. You don't think the raids would be different if they could guarantee that? I bet they would.

I get why people want matchmaking for raids. I'll even give it the benefit of the doubt if it does happen. But I don't see it making anyone happy. If people wanted to raid, they would raid. It's not that hard to put a group together. On the other hand, Bungie will absolutely have to take the fact that complete randos will be raiding together into account when they design raids. I'm not sure that will be detrimental, but I also don't see how it can be good.

Complete randos raid together now. All this talk of absolutely is just silly.

No they don't. I'm taking the liberty of defining cheapley's "complete randos" as randos who will have simply followed the prompts Bungie provided them with to join a raid fireteam. Those randos are not the randos playing now.

Well then. You win. Because you defined winning to be whatever you say. Good job.

Actually, you are drawing a false equivalency here. "Randos" who go to an LFG site are not the same as "randos" who select an activity through in-game matchmaking. Going to an LFG site takes more effort, therefore showing a greater level of commitment.

I'm often the first person to complain when a game system or mechanic isn't "player friendly" in terms of convinience, but there are times when making things as easy as possible can backfire. With Destiny's raids, Bungie has created an activity that is far more demanding than the average co-op shooter experience. Demanding activity + instant matchmaking + playing with complete strangers is a bad combination.

I don't know if you ever played Gears of War horde mode, but I don't think I ever made it past wave 30 (out of 50) in a matchmade group because somebody would always quit early, which would cause someone else to quit, and before you know it the whole team is gone before the JIP function could replace anyone. And Horde Mode is infinitely simpler than any of Destiny's raids.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread